Dirty Hand Tools 22, 27 & 28 ton splitters...Differences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMOJoe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been looking at purchasing 2-4 splitters for myself and various family members, and am seriously considering going with DHT.

Trying to determine the differences in the 22, 27 & 28 ton models and it appears to come down to:

22 Ton: 6.5 HP Kohler and 4" x 24" stroke cylinder, 621 pounds wet, 3yr/2yr/1 yr warranty
27 Ton: 6.5 HP Kohler and 4 1/2" a 24" stroke cylinder, 631 pounds wet, 3yr/2yr/1 yr warranty
28 Ton: 9.5 HP Kohler and 4 1/2" x 24" stroke cylinder, 656 pounds wet, 3yr/3yr/1 yr warranty

Does anyone know of any other differences between these models (besides price of course ;))?

Thanks.

22/27 ton have 11GPM pumps, 28 ton has a 17gpm pump (quite a bit faster cycle time). 9.5HP Kohler has twice the engine oil capacity as well.

Hey thanks ttyR2, I missed the difference in pump ratings/engine oil capacity. Looks like the 22 & 27 ton are identical except for the cylinder.

With Menards selling the 27 ton model for $200 off now, thinking that may be the one we want, but they are over 2 hours away. Wish Lowes or Home Depot would have the same sale.

22 and 27 ton units have a 13 GPM pump the 28+ ton units have 17.5 GPM.

Since the 22 and 27 have the same pump displacement the 22 has a quicker cycle time, but gives up the peak tonnage that the 27 ton can develop with the larger diameter cylinder.

Hey thanks ttyR2, I missed the difference in pump ratings/engine oil capacity. Looks like the 22 & 27 ton are identical except for the cylinder.

With Menards selling the 27 ton model for $200 off now, thinking that may be the one we want, but they are over 2 hours away. Wish Lowes or Home Depot would have the same sale.
Home depot or lowes will price match and beat it by 5%, just have to ask

Interesting. Just noticed a 35 ton unit listed in the current manual on the DHT website.

I have a 22 ton and love it. Took a little while to get it out together but it's worth the money. Splits anything and is wicked fast

Hello all.

I have been looking at purchasing 2-4 splitters for myself and various family members, and am seriously considering going with DHT.

Trying to determine the differences in the 22, 27 & 28 ton models and it appears to come down to:

22 Ton: 6.5 HP Kohler and 4" x 24" stroke cylinder, 621 pounds wet, 3yr/2yr/1 yr warranty
27 Ton: 6.5 HP Kohler and 4 1/2" a 24" stroke cylinder, 631 pounds wet, 3yr/2yr/1 yr warranty
28 Ton: 9.5 HP Kohler and 4 1/2" x 24" stroke cylinder, 656 pounds wet, 3yr/3yr/1 yr warranty

Does anyone know of any other differences between these models (besides price of course ;))?

Thanks.
After reading many of this sights member statement I purchased a 28 ton DHT log splitter and want to thank all of you for bringing your experience t my screen in Maine. I purchased thru wood splitters direct and they were very good to work with.

After reading many of this sights member statement I purchased a 28 ton DHT log splitter and want to thank all of you for bringing your experience t my screen in Maine. I purchased thru wood splitters direct and they were very good to work with.

We'd love some action photos !

Home Depot will match their sale prices, just take the ad in with you.

Back