Dolmar 7900 HD filter kit worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsawnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok do you guys think its really worth it over the stock setup... Or is it like the HD filter setup on a 372 Not really worth it. I have a high top and low top 372 and it doesn't seem to make a big diff on them they both stay clean enough.... 100 bucks seems kinda high for something that's just for looks. What say you Dolmar heads....

As far as I understand from various posts the HD filter is a necessity if one is cutting dry hardwood because of the dust like chips generated by doing so. The bigger surface of the HD filter allows extended cleaning intervals.
It also seems recommendable to get the HD filter if one has ported his PS7900 to ensure better , less obstructed and more consistent air flow.
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong with my assumptions! ;)

I have a Dolmar PS6400 (well used) and a Dolmar PS7900 (has yet to prove herself in big wood) , they both have the stock air filter and work flawlessly.
I played with the thought to buy the HD setup but it is just too expensive running at around 60Euro in my area!
For my purposes the HD filter kit is pointless!
I almost exclusively cut fresh wood , meaning really big chips , and I thus far never found my stock (furry/filz) filter being clogged upon inspecting it.

That said , it's just my opinion , it mostly depends on ones needs - each to its own! :)

NOTE: I like the look of the black HD filter setup , but it is not worth my hard earned money just for that!
I noticed that I like black stock filter hoods just as well , thus I plan to buy a black "normal" hood for about 7Euro just to please my eyes. :cool:

Enjoy Your Dolmar PS7900 , I sure hope I will! :chainsaw:

I like my 7900s with red tops, so until they offer a red-top HD setup, it's not of any interest to me whether it's better or not.
That post sums up AS!!lol Look in certain dry hard timber the HD is near essentiall but unless that is what you cut....its not. lf l were you l would run the standard filter setup inspecting things as you go. You will soon KNOW whether it is neccessary or not. ln 90% of the planets cutting conditions l think the standard setup would be more than ok. Although l do wish ALL saws had a similar filter to a ms241/261/362. That round auto style filter is near perfect.

Cool good news so far... I am interested in seeing how the filter looks after a day of cutting.. Up here there isn't a ton of hard wood... If its like my huskys it shouldn't be a problem. If it was closer to 50 bucks I might get one...

I've got a couple of those HD filter kits. So far - no problems.

Had a operator used to a 6800i tried to twist the 7900 choke lever and off it came. I had to take the HD filter base off the 7900 to get the choke lever back in the hole. No big job.

When i got the HD setup it was only like $65 USD plus the shipping to me as part of a big order.

It is pretty much up there with the best filter setups on any saw i own or have used. It is 100% needed in the conditions i regularly cut in with our dry and dusty hardwoods over here. Big improvement over stock filtration.

The 7900 with the 24" bar cost me almost exactly half of a MS460 with the 24" bar option at the time. Spending an extra $80 or so dollars to drastically improve the filtration for my conditions is a no brainer to me. Even after a full day cutting in crappy conditions i know it will need nothing more than the pre-filter sock removed and lightly tapping out.

Back