Tree are all I seem to deal with

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It was like the good ole' days this weekend. Saturday I went up to natchez mississippi with my planter to help my best friend from highschool and college plant 20,000 loblolly pine seedlings on some property he and his father just bought. A good day to say the least. they are very interested in active, hands on management of thier property and asked for my help. it was a good time. Then Sunday I stopped off in St. Francisville and got in touch with another good friend from college who just moved back to louisiana from washington DC. We had breakfast then decided to venture into the Cat island NWR to try and find the biggest cypress in louisiana. Now, you have to know that cat island is along the mississippi river, we are talking some serious swamp land here. I have never seen the tree so I was determined. We got outhere and found the river to be up and the roads flooded. So we borrowed a canoe went back and drove the road untill the canoe floated off the trailer, from there we paddled. Well, we never found the tree, but had a good time anyway. the river was up high, about 15 feet or so. here are some pics...enjoy!

back in the day

My dad use to own a tree farm in upstate Pa when I was a kid. We had a planter like that but with two seats on it lots of fun just have to remember which way to put the trees in the cradle, had the roots up on a whole row one time. lol

Canoeing

Great Pictures. I like to canoe in the basin between Lafayette and Baton Rouge. And in Sherberne Looks like you had a blast.:cheers:

Medic,
last summer I did a timber cruise for the corps of engineers near henderson lake. 1 hr. by flatboat, 20 minutesby canoe, then all day in floodded timber up to my knees or so. I have spent a good bit of time in sherburn as well cruising a corps easment. right in the middle of sherbern is a 1300 acre tract of second growth cypress. It is the finest I have ever seen, but a real mother to get to. are you familiar with this area. I have brought several people in there and showed it to them. It truly is a prehistoric setting.

Sherburne

Medic,
last summer I did a timber cruise for the corps of engineers near henderson lake. 1 hr. by flatboat, 20 minutesby canoe, then all day in floodded timber up to my knees or so. I have spent a good bit of time in sherburn as well cruising a corps easment. right in the middle of sherbern is a 1300 acre tract of second growth cypress. It is the finest I have ever seen, but a real mother to get to. are you familiar with this area. I have brought several people in there and showed it to them. It truly is a prehistoric setting.

I can't say that I am familiar with that area. Do you have GPS co Ordinates?

I haven't been in Sherburne this year. When I get a chance I would like to check that spot out. You get there by boat or on foot?

I do not have the gps info, but I can get. Well, mabe it is still on my gps. I can not say for sure. I will check. What I can say is in the summer you can get there by 4-wheeler and foot. you can forget about it right now...way too wet. you have to go south along the river then turn in on big alabama bayou rd. Follow big alabama till you hit johnston slough. follow johnston slough away from big alabama for about 45 minutes on 4-wheeler. Once you get in there it gets pretty thick. there is sign of an old logging road, but it is not really evident. anyway you take that old logging road (which is like breaking trail throught new timber) for a while. you next have to turn off that road and go to the tract. It has been a while, so I do not remember which compass direction the logging road travels nor the direction you go off that road. what I can say is when you are in there you are a long way off. it is all old timber in a healthy swamp, so it all looks the same and is easy to get turned around.. i check my gps and see what I have and let you know.

Latest posts

Back