Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run the heck out my 290 too! Sadly, it sits most of the time now and I'm thinking about selling it. They seem to bring big bucks on CL around here.

I have run the heck out my 290 too! Sadly, it sits most of the time now and I'm thinking about selling it. They seem to bring big bucks on CL around here.
My first 290 I ran for 10 hard years, and still sold it used for almost what I paid for it. In fact that 290 still had the original spark plug that lasted for all those years. I sold it with the original plug still in the saw.
I have a new 290 along with several more sthil saws of different sizes.
My new fav is the 362. Same weight but quite a bit more power.
I have a 391 that is the farm version of the 362 and is equally capable of keeping up with the 362.
The 290 is probably the most popular of the stihl brand.
I have 5 stihl saws and everyone, with the exception of the ms170 has worked flawlessly.
The 170 throttle lever is crap and comes out of it's slot and I have to jack with it from time to time.
You cant go wrong with a 290 for most of your wood cutting needs.

There are lots of good saws out there and everyone has a favorite.
You defiantly get what you pay for. If you wanna go cheap and spend 100 bucks, your going to get a 100 dollar saw.
And for many thats good enough for there needs.
But a 100 dollar saw is not deigned to run for all day cutting.
The people that buy a cheap saw is because they know nothing about them or how to properly care for them.
They know nothing about proper chain adjustments or how to properly sharpen a chain.
The motor is just there to make the chain rotate the bar, and when the chain gets dull and they think the saw is crap.
I run a file over each tooth with just two strokes to bring it back to like new.
Now the teeth can be sharp, but if the rakes are to high, all your cutting is air.
I run my chains down till the teeth start breaking off.
It takes several years to begin to get skilled with a saw.
Once you get the hang of it, it not hard at all.
It does take constant maintenance every time you use one.
You may pay more for a pro saw, but it will last you a lifetime,(if properly card for)
One common mistake for new owners, is there afraid to open'er up and let'er rip.
2 strokes are designed to run full throttle, thats where they get there power band kicks in, on the high RMS.
Lost of great saws out there, I just like to stick with one brand, and stihl has never let me down.
Ok except for the ms170, It cuts great and runs great, It;s just the way the throttle is designed that need to be redesigned.

Back