Oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You guys with big oak trees are spoiled. This is a good representation of the oak trees we have up here. Older guys called them scrub oaks although I know that's used for other oak species in other parts of the country as well.

Most never get bigger than this.
image.jpeg

Here's a pretty big one, probably 14". I doubt I've ever seen one over 18".
image.jpeg

Most of the leaves look like this.
image.jpeg

But a few are palmated like this. I've seen both shapes growing on the same tree many times.
image.jpeg

Looks like pin oak and a type of English oak
There are so many types of oak trees in America . Most people know red oak and white oak but there's many many varieties

Correct you are WS. Just pin and a rare bur oak here and there around here. About 100 miles south you get into both true red and white.

You guys with big oak trees are spoiled. This is a good representation of the oak trees we have up here. Older guys called them scrub oaks although I know that's used for other oak species in other parts of the country as well.

Most never get bigger than this.
View attachment 460154

Here's a pretty big one, probably 14". I doubt I've ever seen one over 18".
View attachment 460155

Most of the leaves look like this.
View attachment 460157

But a few are palmated like this. I've seen both shapes growing on the same tree many times.
View attachment 460158
Looks really similar in size to the ones we get on our fence lines around here! :laugh:20151018_155617.jpg

svk, what is the approximate age of that 14" oak? The big oaks around here are generally pretty old and the rate of growth varies a lot within the same tree. The last 40" white oak I cut was about 165 years old according to the rings. I don't cut healthy living trees so the condition of the tree sometimes makes it difficult to count rings.

Provably 40 ish. A lot of them die around that size and break off at the stump. The snags last for years in the woods.

Those buggers pop up in my shooting lanes and grow around a foot a year at first. Once the root system is there they keep regenerating.

My woods is full of red oak, black oak, white oak and chestnut oak. However, in ten years of burning 10+ cords a year I doubt I've put more than half a cord of oak, total, in my outdoor wood boiler. Don't really like to cut healthy trees down, and I have enough of all the other species around here that I don't go searching for oak. I do have a couple cords of white sitting in the woods waiting right now, though - it's from a storm-damaged branch of a 48"+ diameter tree. It'll be good burning in three years or so. That's the other crappy thing about oak - it takes forever to dry, even under cover in a wood shed. Dead ash is nearly dry when it hits the ground. Soft maple and cherry are good in less than a year. Oak seems like a waste of time unless you are 3+ years out on firewood (which I am not).

The leaves look like a cross between a shumar and/or a nutall.
I had a water oak that I planted when I was a kid that needed to come down last year.
It was only 40 years old but was 48" at the flare.
Some oaks do cross and become hybread's
I have live oak, water oak, red oak, shumar oak, nutall oak, bur oak, post oak, white oak, black oak and many more.
I use a lot of red and post oak and live oak.
Post oak is my favorite for aroma, heat and heat duration.

Here is one for you and it's free to the lucky feller !!

00l0l_5rvK6KqdjH0_600x450.jpg

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/wan/5272817900.html

Im in NC and we have very hot summers, this one was especially dry. I cut split some green white oak in late may and have started burning it already. No hissing, sounds like bowling pins when hit, and flames right up. Red oak i dont think would be this way, but just goes to show how much quicker wood seasons here.

Back