flywheel nut...something special?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfeesh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello there,
I've got a Stihl 039 that I'm fixing up. Is the original nut that holds the flywheel on something special, or can I pick a generic one up at the hardware store?

Might be a dumb question, but I'm tired of doing things the wrong way. ;)

I found an ANSI grade 8.8 (or something high like that) flanged nut that matched the IPL spec (M8x1 sounds right) at my local Ace Hardware. It went on an 041AV that has been running ever since.

That said, if I had to do it again, I'd try a lot harder to find the OEM nut for peace of mind.

Did you lose the nut? If you need one, let me know, I may have a spare.
I have the nut, but I damaged the threads when I took a hammer to it trying to get the flywheel off, I also damaged the crankshaft threads in the process. I was trying to get at the cylinder because I damaged it trying to tap new threads for a HeliCoil spark plug insert.
I've since ordered an NWP cylinder kit from Baileys, but do need a nut. I can get an OEM nut, I'm just afraid of what the local dealer charges.

I have the nut, but I damaged the threads when I took a hammer to it trying to get the flywheel off, I also damaged the crankshaft threads in the process. I was trying to get at the cylinder because I damaged it trying to tap new threads for a HeliCoil spark plug insert.
I've since ordered an NWP cylinder kit from Baileys, but do need a nut. I can get an OEM nut, I'm just afraid of what the local dealer charges.
Wow! We ought to send you over to the middle east to handle ISIS!!!

Wow! We ought to send you over to the middle east to handle ISIS!!!
Haha, yep. The pros make it look and sound so easy. A rank amateur like me can get into a lot of trouble getting info off of sites like this one. Gotta learn somehow.

I'll get the OEM nut. I was charged the service fee for a starter pawl...maybe it was a fluke.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Haha, yep. The pros make it look and sound so easy. A rank amateur like me can get into a lot of trouble getting info off of sites like this one. Gotta learn somehow.

I'll get the OEM nut. I was charged the service fee for a starter pawl...maybe it was a fluke.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
And did you mushroom the end of the crank snout too?

OP, I'm not being mean to you, it's just reading the above statement reminded me of this

Latest posts

Back