Building your own splitter ideals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been quite a few discussions lately of building splitters. Did a little searching and found a ton of threads. Problem is most of the threads are prehack so all the pictures are missing. I am not building a splitter at this time, dont really have any plans for a future build either. Just thought I would start a discussion about the parts a person might choose if they where going to build their own ultimate wood splitter. Cyl, sizes, Valves, Pumps, engines, etc. Features such as lifts, booms, winches, tables. Reading some of the old threads, I saw everything from 9in bore cyl and 300cuin ford engines to power them, and some pretty niffty ways for throttle/governor controls, to the 5hp briggs and 11gpm pumps, with 3.5 and 4in cyl's machines.

I feel for the everyday homeowner, just splitting their own wood, most of the storebrands will get the job done. Then you have the full time firewood producer that needs a fast processor, with all the support equipment that goes with it. And then there is the middle ground, the small time firewood producer that sells 10-100cords of wood a year. For this guy, a full blown processor doesnt make financial sense, but the little homeowner machines wont do either. This is the segment of wood splitter I am targeting with this thread. If you are in this middle ground of firewood producers, what are some of the features you feel is a must have on any firewood splitter. Keep the processors and homeowner machines out of the discussion. I know both types are perfectly capable wood splitting machines, and there are probably tons of folks using these setups in there less than 100,cord a year firewood business, and some probably even producing more than 100cord a year. I would like to keep the flywheel type splitter out of the build thread as well. I do realize those splitter do have their place in producing firewood and lots of folks will use both a hydraulic and flywheel types in their operation. I can easily see the benefits of adding a flywheel splitter in the equipment list. but I feel most folks would buy one rather than build, unless they have a old sq baler laying around to scrounge parts off of.

Anyways, I started the thread, its up to you to add ideals to it.

Here is one I built for my own use. Prince cylinder 4 1/2" bore X 24" stroke. 21.5 HP Kawasaki engine. 28gpm pump. 20 gallon hydraulic tank. 8" X 31 lb. beam. Prince 30gpm valve. 12" hardened wedge. Wood table to catch the splits. Started with an old boat trailer with 14" wheels and spring suspension. Splits everything I throw at it and has a fast 9 second cycle time. Prince is the best when it comes to cylinders and valves. Kawasaki and Honda are the best in engines. I looked hard at the store bought splitters and the quality was not what I wanted. IMGP2530.JPG IMGP2604.JPG IMGP2623.JPG IMGP2667.JPG IMGP2707.JPG IMGP2862.JPG IMGP2869.JPG IMGP2897.JPG IMGP3083.JPG IMGP3076.JPG

The table is removable for transport. Has tail lights and a 2" ball hitch. Wouldn't do anything differently. I really am pleased with the splitter. I have about $2900 in the build plus all the fun I had building it. Bought the boat trailer and engine off of Craig's list. Beam was bought from a neighbor. 5 gallon fuel tank came from E-bay. Bought the cylinder, valve and tank from Surplus center.

I think yours is a pretty good example of a home made, homeowner machine, It does what you intended for it to do and your happy with it. Your machine doesnt fit my thoughts on the direction I was wanting this thread to take. I am looking for more builds geared to commercial firewood producers. Those folks that like to duplicate and improve on some of the big name commercial machines. Big Hp, fast speeds, big power, multi wedge, high production type builds.

I just wanted to build a decent splitter for 32" splits for my OWB. Did most of my shopping at Princess Auto but next time would likely use Surplus Center online.
13 hp Chinese motor, 15 gal 2 stage pump was attached to it. HydroWorks valve ( not right one but will work) and an Eaton splitter valve. As always a bigger motor and pump would be nice for faster cycle times but again money and need usually win out. I would definitely go with an autocycle valve next time and will likely change this one out next year.
Used 8" steel beam, I bought for scrap price but would go bigger next time just to be sure.
Made my own wedge using torch and grinder, next time I would get them milled. I screwed up and the angle on the horizontal wing to too steep and it bends easily. I made my wedge big enough to work with the wood I get.
Made my own adjustable wedge lift, works well and don't think I would change much.
Bought new 4"x 36" cylinder. Wouldn't change it next time.
Made my own cylinder mounts, drilled with ****** drill press, bit of an alignment issue but solved with a die grinder. Might consider grease fittings next time.
Used an old trailer I had hanging around. Would use a bigger trailer next time and balance it better. Need to move the axle on this one, too light on the tongue.
Built my own tank and made it big enough so cooler shouldn't be needed, especially because I work at a slow enough pace by myself most of the time.
Put a jack leg on the back to stiffen things up. Would use a real jack next time.
I'll paint it someday after I finish refining it. ( never gonna happen)
Threw in a picture of my Speeco too. Made a couple of changes to it. Muddstopper, nothing wrong with starting with a box store splitter and rebuilding it so it better suits your purpose either.
IMG_20151128_173946.jpg IMG_20151213_163054.jpg IMG_20151226_164131.jpg IMG_20151226_145850.jpg IMG-20130904-00505.jpg

Oh well - I guess I misunderstood your thread....Fast cycle time (under 12 seconds) and 3000lbs. of splitting force and a good catch table are the necessities for me.
Dont take it as I'm putting your machine down. I think you made a very capable machine. 4.5in cyl for plenty of power, 28gpm pump for plenty of speed. You even went so far as to use a valve rated for 30gpm, which in my opinion is an improvement over some of the commercial units. I wouldnt push it out of my barn if I owned it. What you didnt add was all the accessoritisms (is that a real word) such as a log lift or multi split wedge.

Cantoo, I think you might have copied a few of my ideal on the wedge lift, and height. securedownload (1) - Copy.jpg

One mistake I made on the wedge lift was using a steering cyl off and old tractor. Cyl only rated for 600psi and the first time I bottomed the cyl out, I ballooned the barrel so that it bypasses and lets the wedge fall. One day I will change it for something rated for a little more pressure. I also ended up cutting the little guide rails off my wedge backbone and welding them to the wedge itself. With the guides welded to the backbone, it was always getting little slivers of wood wedged in it. I made quite a few other mistakes as well, but most everything about this splitter came out of the scrap yard.

I also agree, if you cant buy what you want, but something close and modify to suit.

Muddstopper, I've looked at 100's of splitters and stolen ideas from them all. I'm sure I've seen yours before too. I was planning on making a 6 way and yours looks like a good design. I was thinking of a star shape to reduce jamming though. I used this green one for my lift design, not even sure who's it is anymore. Has a few other things I want to do on mine yet. IMG_20151121_223009.jpg

Well,, just for info about my 6way. I stole the wedge lift from a northerntool splitter. Seen it, liked it, borrowed it. The bottom wing is sharpened on the bottom side only, so wood as it split will sort of dive downward. The top wing is angled up and sharpen on the top edge only so wood can pass under the wedge without binding. It works pretty good, but think if I was to do it again I might go with the star shape. I split a lot of large dia stuff. A 24in dia round will leave you two 12wide pieces between the two wings. Only good thing is they stack easy for resplitting. I usually just run everything thru and dont worry about any resplits. When I get around to stacking, anything that needs ran thru again gets tossed into a pile to be taken care of later. I have considered a couple of verticle wedges behind my wing wedges to take care of most of the resplitting. Only thing wrong with that ideal is I am afraid if one side gets in a bind, it might twist the whole thing out of shape. Another thing about my wedge, the bottom wing is flush with the hbeam when fully lowered, the top wing sets about 6in above the flange. Works pretty good for smaller wood for a 4way split. I did my wedge the way I did for this reason, a star wedge would still be trying to split the small stuff 6 ways and you endup with a lot of little splits and splinters. Its a trade off either way you do it. I also dont have my lift attached to the wedge like most folks do. Instead of a pin thru the wedge, I use a bearing as a roller. With the bigger dia wood, I sort of like the wedge lifting so once split, it just falls off the wedge instead of having down pressure of the wedge holding it. Not really sure it makes that much difference tho.

Thanks, joelaycheck. I have that video saved too and just took a couple of screen shots of the lift.
Mudd, I made my wedge tall so that I could split big stuff in half, my 4 way goes 17" high. For big stuff I just raise the wedge up to 17", the top gets split into small enough piece and the bottom gets split in half, drop the wedge 6" then each half gets resplit into 4. So in effect the big piece gets split into 10 pieces.

The one I built probably doesn't fit your criteria either but it does have a few "options" That can be used on a bigger one.

MVC-020S_42.JPG

Outrigger arms make it stable for dragging large rounds in and take any sway out of it.

I built this after years of thinking of what I wanted. Main goal was to be ABLE to work up larger stuff by myself if needed. Goes better with 2, but i CAN do it by myself.

MVC-008S_1.JPG

I have cordless remote winch on a swing boom that has over 3o ft of reach. I normally just back down the tree's trunk where it was dropped, and throw the wood to the sides. then back the truck down the same path and load from both sides, cuts out the walking. You can do it as you go but I like doing things in stages as it seems to go faster. No hooking, unhooking splitter when truck is full.

MVC-009S_1.JPG

I made swing away tables on it and they are EXTREMELY handy and something I've never seen on another splitter.

MVC-010S_1.JPG

MVC-011S_1.JPG

The hook acts as a storage spot too so you don't put anything on the ground till it is to size. Wedge on the ram is needed as it keeps rounds from swinging out when splitting to size. I'm running a 25HP motor, 28gpm pump, full autocycle valve and 30 gallon tank. I do have a 4 way but honestly don't use it much. Again, non commercial user here and it fits my needs better than anything I've ever used. That is why I built it.

The 2 biggest things that made the biggest difference for me are getting the working height so you are not leaning over and the swing away tables. Vast improvement as far as making it easier on yourself. Full build pics in the link below.

Kevin in Ohio: I like the control of the splits you appear to have. When splitting large stuff in half, like your photos show, with my TW-6, the two halves can and do go anywhere, mostly the extension grate catches them, but don't plan on it. The log lift is rated at five hundred. Two hundred pound plus pieces and inertia. Even if you control one side, the other piece knocks the grate around because it is not fixed in place, and that can send the piece your hanging on to in motion. Maybe if the grate were fixed in place it would get damaged more, I don't know. Even with a log lift, the tongs would be a great addition.

There is a you tube video of a sliding log lift. The splitter is a fixed wedge design, and the lift slides towards the wedge end, catching the split half on that side, then sides forward with the piece, which is then rolled back on the beam to resplit. Really cool!

The advantage of what I got is that you can swing them 90 degrees out of the way if you don't need them to catch or hold big chunks. When 2 of us are working with it one guy is gathering the smaller stuff and uses it as a storage table. When doing the bigger stuff. 2 of us chunk it up then once it is managable, one guy starts hooking/dragging lifting the next big round. Winch isn't real fast but honestly, it keeps you out of trouble.

The round in the pic was done when I was by myself. not as quick as when 2 are present but easily doable. I'd have strained my guts out working it into a Verticle or 3 pt style. They all have pluses and minuses and everyone does it different. This just simply is the Cats (pun intended) Meow for us.

Not the best picture but I agree with Kevin. I can split a bigger one in half and let one half swing out of the way while I split the other half.

IMG_0185.jpg

The guy manningvthe splitter can get through the pile on the table before the guy on the table can saw 16" pieces. Im digging the splitter.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
Back