Hangin' up my spurs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a little trouble with this part... I don't know of a single arborist climbing rope that is 5/8" and the unicender is designed for 11mm ~ 13mm ropes.

I think this is the rope I have: http://www.baileysonline.com/Arbori...2-Strand-Climbing-Rigging-Rope---600-Reel.axd

As for the unicender, my shoddy memory tells me that it could be used for 1/2" to 5/8 rope, but the current website agrees with you. Still, I found it to work better with the 5/8" than the 1/2" (or maybe it was a 7/16"). In any event, if I didn't twist my wrist when I advanced the unicender, it would sometimes slip down again, giving me an awful fright. Never happened with the thicker rope.

In any event, I will say that the Unicender does indeed work well with the 5/8" and I would even recommend it over the thinner rope, but that's just me.

Good job UNc , glad everything turned out positive. I got a bunch of years on ya I can tell positively that the ground has become harder and I sure as heck don't bounce anymore.

Add me to the list of guys that has a pair of spurs hanging in the shed. A lot of years ago I bought a used set thinking they would come in handy. I climbed my washing line pole which is an old hydro pole for a practice run. Worked good and I had no problem doing it. When I was done practicing I hung them up and that's where they have stayed. Safest spot for them and me.

And here I am with intentions of "learning" the basics of climbing at 54!
I am never gonna grow up... I would like to have 1/2 the knowledge of the pro's on here. I likely will remove a few trees around here eventually... however, I am also one to say "no". Or get the pro's, or get a bucket truck and it is gonna be expensive!

Nice pics' of the tree 'Stash. You have a larger set of gonads than I do to tackle a monster like that.:rock:

Smart man will realize that he can't do it all. A brilliant man will realize that before there's an accident. Unc, you're in the latter category. Glad that nobody was hurt. Material things can be rebuilt a lot easier than flesh and blood.

For What will it profit a man to gain the world but lose his soul . Your Story kind of reminded me of that in a way . All the money in the world won't do you any good if your laying in a coffin .all those kids need you around , glad you realized your limitations and were able to walk away

Really it's not so much about my limitations - I got that huge tree (and many others over the years) down without damage to me or the property. I think it's just not worth the risk and effort for someone in my situation. I can get wood and money in easier ways -- it's just fun to get both at the same time.

I am in the same boat as Unc here. I used to climb just about any tree and made some cash doing it, but there comes a time when you have to decide what is more important, and it isn't the climbing. My spurs have been sitting in the shed for almost a year now and I will only use them on an easy up-down tree. The last 2 trees I climbed made me so nervous and sweaty I could hardy stay on my spurs. Both were tall and hanging over houses. I used to take those sorts of trees down without hesitation, but now it is old news. I don't know what is going on, since I am barely 30, but like you guys said, the time comes. I can make just as much money working on cars, machinery, and houses and I don't have to leave the ground to do it. I am glad you are safe and happy Unc. Take care of those kids.

Glad you are ok and it sounds like you made a great decision. Good Luck..

Great job, I guess each load is around a cord??? Oak weighs @ 4500# per cord???

How much did weigh???

I have a 16' trailer and seems when it's all split and stacked tight (not cross ways), doesn't make as much as I thought:(

Back