The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit used a term today in another thread that describes 90% of what I have been doing the last two Saturdays - "weed-whacking". If it keeps up much longer I may adopt the user name, Weed Hacker.

Ron

PS to Gologit and bitzer: I didn't expect the guy to listen to me. I thought he might listen to you which is why I brought attention to his post, but I was wrong. Anyway, I think the point has been made that the method and goal he described are both dangerous. I, for one, appreciate your efforts.

Skeans, pretty cool old Mack. When I was a kid one of my great uncles was a Mack dealer. Nothing like today's dealerships. Just a big two bay garage beside the local truck stop. Don't know if he sold out or lost it during a downturn in the 60s or early 70s. Seems he always had a pipe or cigar going, I wish I had saved some of the Mack ashtrays. Ron

Gologit used a term today in another thread that describes 90% of what I have been doing the last two Saturdays - "weed-whacking". If it keeps up much longer I may adopt the user name, Weed Hacker.

Ron

PS to Gologit and bitzer: I didn't expect the guy to listen to me. I thought he might listen to you which is why I brought attention to his post, but I was wrong. Anyway, I think the point has been made that the method and goal he described are both dangerous. I, for one, appreciate your efforts.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink that being said till he has a close call or worse he will always do the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink that being said till he has a close call or worse he will always do the same thing.

Exactly. Rons best efforts, and Bitzer's, and mine, all went unheeded. If a person refuses to learn there's not much you can do with him.
I wished him luck and I meant it. I just hope he stays lucky.

Exactly. Rons best efforts, and Bitzer's, and mine, all went unheeded. If a person refuses to learn there's not much you can do with him.
Exactly I've been around the stuff my whole life and known too many guys killed cutting.

Too bad we sometimes mistake good happenstance as the usual. A plight often of those who only dabble in a particular activity - here those of us who are occasional cutters.

I suppose we are all fortunate that we know no AS member who has been killed trying to prove a method is safe.

Ron

Exactly I've been around the stuff my whole life and known too many guys killed cutting.

Who?

I'm just wondering out loud here whether or not first hand photos would make a useful illustrative thread on the other side as to why you should or shouldn't do certain things so that maybe, just maybe, some will see and heed. Then again maybe there is enough carnage already on YouTube that the effort wouldn't be worth it.

Where I am coming from is: You guys know day in and day out how dangerous things can be. The occasional cutter like me doesn't always know or remember. e.g. I didn't realize until after a week of reflection that the small tree that recently went side ways on me after I castrated the hinge may have been due not to a puff of wind or a miscalculation of the lean but to an overhead vine I didn't see because I didn't purposely look for overhead vines. But what occasional/recreational cutter, except a few other nuts like me, spends so much time thinking about what when wrong - tree is on the ground, cutter didn't get hurt, so all is good, right? The newbie is even more at risk as he likely doesn't even know that he doesn't know and he has nothing to try to remember. These facts of life together with all of the bad, or impossible to discern, advice floating around make a dangerous activity even more dangerous. I want to be safe and I want to help other occasional cutters to be safe. Thought maybe a few photos would help.

You probably know by now that wood cutting is enjoyable and refreshing to me. I took the afternoon off today and cut a few nice size but crooked cherries. Had the top on one snap and fold back slapping the stump with another limb breaking off in the canopy and landing within 10 feet of me in my "safe" zone. Not my first experience, and certainly something each of you have likely experienced many times. I took some pictures, or so I thought, to possibly share on the other side as to one of the reasons you retreat instead of camping at the stump. This could illustrate a couple other lessons as well. Just now checked the phone - no pictures. Not a good start for beginning an illustrative thread.

Ron

got a link to that thread? I don't wander much on purpose...

Speaking of tops breaking out, few years ago was helping out the Scouts with a weird hazard removal/thinning project they got... weird... (now that I think about it... the whole thing was kinda odd...)

anyway Hemlocks out here if left unchecked with grow into a tight thicket nearly stem on stem, only the strong survive, the job was to take out the weaker smaller trees, and those that where dead...

Well, 5 adults there, and 20 or so scouts, I'm the only idiot wearing a hard hat, pushing a tall dead snag out of a group of trees, the stupid thing broke just a hair under half way up, the tippy top came down and got me square in the hat, left a nice little dent, probably would have knocked me out or cracked my skull at the least...

Also, come to think of it, that little project introduced me to my first logging client, a year or so later we came back with the ole 9n and started dragging logs out for him...

I'm just wondering out loud here whether or not first hand photos would make a useful illustrative thread on the other side as to why you should or shouldn't do certain things so that maybe, just maybe, some will see and heed. Then again maybe there is enough carnage already on YouTube that the effort wouldn't be worth it.

Where I am coming from is: You guys know day in and day out how dangerous things can be. The occasional cutter like me doesn't always know or remember. e.g. I didn't realize until after a week of reflection that the small tree that recently went side ways on me after I castrated the hinge may have been due not to a puff of wind or a miscalculation of the lean but to an overhead vine I didn't see because I didn't purposely look for overhead vines. But what occasional/recreational cutter, except a few other nuts like me, spends so much time thinking about what when wrong - tree is on the ground, cutter didn't get hurt, so all is good, right? The newbie is even more at risk as he likely doesn't even know that he doesn't know and he has nothing to try to remember. These facts of life together with all of the bad, or impossible to discern, advice floating around make a dangerous activity even more dangerous. I want to be safe and I want to help other occasional cutters to be safe. Thought maybe a few photos would help.

You probably know by now that wood cutting is enjoyable and refreshing to me. I took the afternoon off today and cut a few nice size but crooked cherries. Had the top on one snap and fold back slapping the stump with another limb breaking off in the canopy and landing within 10 feet of me in my "safe" zone. Not my first experience, and certainly something each of you have likely experienced many times. I took some pictures, or so I thought, to possibly share on the other side as to one of the reasons you retreat instead of camping at the stump. This could illustrate a couple other lessons as well. Just now checked the phone - no pictures. Not a good start for beginning an illustrative thread.

Ron

I applaud your efforts Ron. I hope it does some good. I try not to get involved in those kind of threads any more...passing of the torch and all that...but sometimes it's hard to keep quiet when somebody is promoting a dangerous method.
Our friend in the Firewood section is a good example. He won't change and that's alright but, as you've said, others might be influenced by his goofy ideas.
The thing that I see time and time again are people having close calls, dangerously close calls, and not being even remotely aware of what almost happened. That's scary.

Here's a case in point. I don't think this guy really quite understands how close he came.

It's a dangerous place in the woods when falling timber, but that's part of the reason we love being there.
As long as we don't have a contemptuous disregard for safety, we can stay alive and uninjuried a lot longer.
Falling timber reminds me of a gentle dance, even though I can't dance. Lol

got a link to that thread? I don't wander much on purpose...

No thread - just contemplating.

but sometimes it's hard to keep quiet when somebody is promoting a dangerous method.

Understand that completely.

It's a dangerous place in the woods when falling timber, but that's part of the reason we love being there.
As long as we don't have a contemptuous disregard for safety, we can stay alive and uninjuried a lot longer.

I agree trying to figure out and overcome the danger is a big part of the appeal - but I for one don't want my epitaph to be "Killed in an accident, but he was doing what he loved."

I also agree with the "lot longer" part. There is no certainty except maybe that if you do this long enough you will be injured and possibly killed.

I would add to your comments that a disregard for safety includes lack of knowledge, training and skills. How many times have you posted when a stall or hard wedging is discussed, "Maybe you have an unintended Dutchman?" At least once in response to me, maybe twice. I remember this because ever since I try to make a conscientious effort to check for them - falling life has improved for me thanks to you.

Ron

I got my dates mixed up and the Florida high school crew showed up today. I was bucking firewood in the poplar patch when I was tapped on the shoulder and told there were 48 folks on a bus looking for me. We took them to another site where the incline was too steep for the trucks and trailers. Below are some pictures of their preferred fire bucket method of chunking. They did a good job in the few hours we had them. No injuries. Ron

IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1334.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

Ron can I ask why the high stumps?

To make grubbing easier for the landowner; the entire site will be cleared for construction. Usually around here contractors don't want trees cut at all so they can uproot them easier. I hate cutting dirty wood hauled in dump trucks, so I jumped on this opportunity to get in front of a contractor while trying not to take advantage of the LO. Also I am taking only firewood and leaving any tree that may be saw timber, so leaving a few feet on what I do cut is no big deal. And my back likes it.

Ron

Back