Harbor Freight 20 Ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crappiemiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Right now HF has this splitter on sale for $749. Has anyone seen this cheaper recently? I'm all hand splitting as of now and am in the market for a Hydro. Menards has had a Forest King on black Friday for around 700 and am wondering if I should just wait for this or bite the bullet for the HF model. I use about 3 cords a year and have looked at some homemade splitters locally but most are near the same price as a new spitter.

I believe the cheapest the splitter has ever been was $699. I have had my eye on one for a while now. I wish I would have bought one when you could still apply the 20%off coupon to it.

That Menards deal doesn't look bad. How often do you use the Vertical option?

I don't have that particular splitter, but the vertical position is nice when you've got a big, big round that you don't want to lift that high. Some guys would rather noodle or sledge-n-wedge those down to a liftable size.

I use the vertical all the time way more than the horizontal position. The key for me is get yourself a seat at the correct height, seat meaning milk crate, bucket, log, etc. the correct height. If your right handed place the splitter so your dragging the wood into the splitter with your right hand and when your done splitting you throw it to your left. Each person is built differently, find your best positioning.

When I checked out Harbour Freight the picture of the splitter on sale is the little two way splitter. From what has been said of those models in the past, they are OK. But they are very size specific. They are not good for big or knotty pieces. HF used to have one that looked like the one from Menards, and it got poor reviews. The foot was too short and the beam was weak. If you put a log on the machine that was much taller than the foot, the foot would bend off. That might be why I didn't see it there. The one from Menards looks like the DHT machine or the Tractor Supply splitter. I got my TSC splitter for $999 and it was worth every penny. It will take any size log and chug right through knots. I've only heard good reviews of the DHT, and they post on this forum. If the Menards machine is equal to the DHT and TSC models it is a steal. If it's lighter it may not be. The two way HF model if kept in it's operating range should crank out some wood. If I had all Oak 14" and less, one of the little two way splitters would be in my sights.

I just looked at the HF again. it says it will take 16" logs. If I didn't have a splitter, I think for $750, I might give it a try, Joe.

I like the potential speed of the HF splitter even though I don't really need it to be that fast. I am going to look at the menards model as well and make my decision soon. Thanks.

Hmmm ...For another 100-200 you could have a huskee / county line splitter which is a proven reliable workhorse . That's something you will keep and rely on for 20 years it's better to not go cheapest you can

Flotek is right, the couple hundred dollars will seem like nothing over the years. Sometimes you do get what you pay for and the few dollars saved today might not be worth anything when you break the foot off the week after the warranty runs out. I very seldom consider warranty when I but something, it usually isn't worth the hassle of time and money spent to get them to honour the warranty. I try to make sure I just buy the proper thing 1st and just fix it myself if it quits or breaks.

20160829_174358.jpg I use a ramp hooked into the deck for getting the big ones up easy.
This is one of the many oak rounds I just split on Monday, 3/4 of a cord in an hour and a half.
I got the predator 20 ton with a great coupon, $650 last summer

Latest posts

Back