Chainsaw mill recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer 87

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm thinking about getting into alittle chainsaw milling. I was looking at maybe a 36" mill. That would cover most everything I come across. The question is this, since im on a budget the saw I was thinking of running is a homelite super xl 925. I know it's not a 3120 or a 880 like some are going to suggest. But would the 925 have enough oats to pull it and not make it unbearably slow? What say yee?

You might get more info over on the milling forum, but from a quick glance at the specs (82cc, etc) I'd say that saw will do all right for most milling you're likely to be doing. Just keep the chain sharper than sharp.

For that size saw, I don't think that you should use much more than a 24" bar. I have limited experience milling so I'm no expert. I've read a lot here on AS.
I have used a Stihl 045 Super (87cc) with a 24" bar. It did well in a cedar log using the whole bar and many knots. What kind of wood are you planning on milling?

Novice here too. All I can say is that it takes a lot more saw than I'd ever imagine it would.

A ported 066 has a really tough time with 28" red oak. Was a breeze in 24" cedar.

I understand about needing a mega saw. I over the weekend I watched a guy slab a pin oak most of which was 36" wide or wider with a 3120xp it pulled it down way harder than I would of imagined. I was gonna mill whatever species of trees central Illinois grows

Boomer, I am in the same boat as you including the saw. A buddy gave me a non runner. Got it running. The only issue with the 925's that I have read about is they tend to overheat.

I do have a poulan pro 475 and a stihl 056 but parts aren't ready availible for either.

Boomer,
It's a goal you can reach, slowly, while you take the time to read more on milling like wombler said. Learn what wood is available to you and what it can be used for.
Then decide how much saw you will need. Don't invest any money into a saw that won't meet your needs unless you're like so many of us that just can't stop fiddling with saws and want to make the run. CAD at it's best.
Try going to garage sales around the country. I've asked for saws that were not even in the garage sale and have gotten some really great deals.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Well I got CAD Pretty bad as I am closing in on the 50 saw mark! Saw collecting is what I started in but I wanted to get into milling basically to make a little extra cash. People around here like to buy slabbed wood for projects of all kinds. If they want to spend crazy money on it, they mite as well be paying me lol.

Little south of me, Taylorville here

You both been busy, look at that post count for only a month and a half. I'm mostly a lurker.

Little south of me, Taylorville here

You both been busy, look at that post count for only a month and a half. I'm mostly a lurker.
Yeah arboristsite has become a problem for both of us, we enjoy all the conversation with like minded people on here and anything you need to tell @Boomer 87 I will relay the message he just found out that it's gonna be a couple days before he gets his new phone

Gotcha I know there's a collector in jerseyville but I havent been on contact with him.
ADLM

My sister went to Blackburn. I am about 5 hrs north. 3.5 if you drive like a maniac.
It amazes me how many people come from all over the country to go to blackburn, growing up here it just seems like a regular old college haha its a nice life living in the middle of nowhere

Well I got CAD Pretty bad as I am closing in on the 50 saw mark! Saw collecting is what I started in but I wanted to get into milling basically to make a little extra cash. People around here like to buy slabbed wood for projects of all kinds. If they want to spend crazy money on it, they mite as well be paying me lol.
I think I've got around 50 saws by now too. Ran out of room so I gave some away that I didn't want to mess with. Your milling idea to make some cash sounds like a good hobby. Who knows where that could lead you. Perhaps more saws??
I'll look forward to seeing what you have done, when that time comes. Good luck and be safe at it.

Back