Nicked my rigging rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Nicked my rigging rope today
150 ft. Of 1/2" Samson stable braid.

I only got a few strands of the outermost section. Inside fibers aren't visible. Is it still safe to use? How much strength has it lost ?

Good thing is it's only about 10 feet or so from the end so if I have to cut it I will and won't lose the rope so that's a plus.

The 10 feet of rope or the $150.00 to buy a replacement rope are not worth killing a crew member or damaging your customer's property. I refuse to use any rope with a "nick" in it. Some guys here will tell you differently I'm sure, but none of it is worth it to me.

How many strands did you cut? If only a couple, I wouldn't stress it. Just use the other end that isn't knicked. If you do want to retire the rope, let me PM you my address. I'll pay the postage.

I say cut the 10' and use a short rope. I've used a cut rope before and it held but I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't do it on purpose now. I once cut a 3/8" tenex tied to a limb probably 150 pounds cut almost halfway through and it held. Just doesn't seem cool to try rigging with a knicked rope though ya know? What if it doesn't hold and you used it on purpose?

Nicked my rigging rope today
150 ft. Of 1/2" Samson stable braid.

I only got a few strands of the outermost section. Inside fibers aren't visible. Is it still safe to use? How much strength has it lost ?

Good thing is it's only about 10 feet or so from the end so if I have to cut it I will and won't lose the rope so that's a plus.
If it's only three yarns I wouldn't worry about it. Many of our double braids have cut yarns in multiple places. If you're getting near the maximum loads you feel comfortable using 1/2" rope for just use the other end. Mark your ends with some colored tape so you can tell which end is which easily. If it starts fraying badly you may have to eventually cut it but it's always nice to have as much length in case you need it. Are the rope ends eye spliced?

Cut it, probably fine but it's cheap insurance. 140' is fine as a tag or for shorter trees. buy a 200' and insure that you'll never run out. 1/2" double braid is cheap.

If it's only three yarns I wouldn't worry about it. Many of our double braids have cut yarns in multiple places. If you're getting near the maximum loads you feel comfortable using 1/2" rope for just use the other end. Mark your ends with some colored tape so you can tell which end is which easily. If it starts fraying badly you may have to eventually cut it but it's always nice to have as much length in case you need it. Are the rope ends eye spliced?
Neither end is spliced. What attachment knot do you use for tying them to carabiners?

Just use the other end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

But tighten it more than in the video

That's a scaffold knot...or half a double fishermans. It can be hard to untie after being subjected to rigging loads, let alone even get off the carabiner. I switched to the anchor bend years ago. It never slips, if dressed properly, and, as it take two turns around the carabiner, it has a low strength loss.

This is a scaffold knot: http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/scaffold-knot

it takes 1 more turn around the bight before coming up through than poachers, poachers knot is about impossible to untie if loaded heavily definitely a good choice for a delta link on an srt line or snaps on a lanyard, I also use it for a biner on the end of a rigging line in a retrievable solo rigging system. No way it's being untied after taking a few hundred pound limb

here is a poachers: http://www.animatedknots.com/poachers/#ScrollPoint

it is basically half of a double fishermans bend

Sometimes I think people just regurgitate what they have read. Poachers knot is very easy to get off of a caribiner after repeated heavy loads. Especially if the caribiner is "key lock" type.

Back