Does owning a dump trailer make financial sense

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any pics of the truck? thought about the swap on my 95 3/4 with a 454
I'll have to dig up some pics.

It's a 94 K2500 with a 93 VE pumped non IC 6BT Cummins. The injectors are spec'd for some 275 hp industrial application at least that's what my injection pump guy told me. It's mated to a late GM NV4500HD with a Dodge Cummins input shaft using the Dodge bellhousing. When I got it, it had ~80K miles on it from being a Cummins Reman. I bought it already converted. It pulls real good after I turned it up some. When I first got it, it didn't smoke at all except for start up. After I got the injectors worked on and the pressures reset (raised to spec) it was real doggy. I worked over the pump and now it pulls from 1200 rpm and still gets pretty good gas mileage.

The truck has a 3" body lift to clear the air pipe over the top of the engine. I run 2 pusher fans to keep the AC working and to keep the temps down when stopped as the engine is long enough to preclude having a fan behind the radiator. It runs at ~ 140 and I have replaced the sensor, thermostat and gage cluster so I believe it.

I'd like to put a p pump in it but it might have to be another truck as this one had to originate in MN, WI or MI where they love to salt. The underside is rustier than my old 72.

It's a very fun truck to drive.

IMG_0398.JPG
Here we are with pellets.
Oh and my 2012 CTD Ram tow rig.

IMG_0397.JPG Here we are with firewood

When it comes with my friends or family borrowing it I simply tell them I can't. I spent way too much and I don't loan her out due to bad experiences in the past. I will however help you if you we can make it work with my schedule. Works every time and I don't feel bad about it. Next issue is will their insurance cover my trailer in an accident?

Good luck.

Works every time and I don't feel bad about it.
Good luck.

Isnt it amazing how we can be made to feel that way when we say no? Half the time people who want to use my dump trailer want to do things with it that I would not do myself, like haul 6' diameter stones thrown in it at the quarry, yes that was asked, Grrr. Or drag it in salt. Best one was the guy I didnt even know that stopped by and wanted to borrow the trailer,, and my truck, Grrrrrr. NO!

Just don't let people borrow it, tell them no flat out. People can really do some damage with a dump trailer if they are not experienced. If you don't want to tell them no, tell them hell no !! Or tell them it's broken from the last person you loaned it out to, that always works....lol

c7a7bcc5a194726ebe185cda7cabc4c2.jpg

I'm not a business owner but I do a lil tree work to gather my firewood and tons of other stuff with my 7x14' dump. This is hauling around 2 full cord. No problem hauling or dumping. The dumps are a huge time saver as far as I'm concerned as I started hauling all my wood with a 5x10' single axle trailer..
I bought mine used for 4900 with a tarp, brand new rims and tires with a new spair, new paint, new brakes and new LED lighting. The guy went completely through it then decided to get a 16'er. It worked out well for me but I had to jump on it quick because used dumps around my area don't last long and I'm sure I could sell it and not loose much money.
Good luck which ever direction you take.

Started with 14' dump trailer that weighed 2500lb and pulled easy. Wanted to make fewer trips. So I ordered a 18' dump trailer that weighs empty 6700 lbs. Didn't think it would be that heavy when I ordered it. Pulling it you knew it was back behind you. Then figured I better upgrade from RAM 3500 to RAM 5500. RAM 5500 empty is 12000lbs with 11ft dump bed. I can haul more wood and it does save a bunch of trip to get wood. But it is heavy.

I built my dump trailer. I needed a flatbed trailer without the sides you get with a factory dump. I just welded on stake pockets and built 2 ft sides out of lumber. I probably spent around $3000 in the build, but I bought everything new. My trailer is 6x10 and will hold a full cord of wood easy. I have had as much as 5 tons of rock on it, but usually wont put anywhere near that load on it. I figure my dump has saved me at least its cost in saved damage to my pickup I pull it with. I never have, or at least cant remember every hauling a single stick of wood in the bed of the truck. I solved the problem of people wanting to borrow it by having a quickconnect power coupling on the truck. If your truck dont have that quick connect, you cant make the dump work. Nobody yet has had a quickconnect power coupling on the back of their trucks so nobody borrows the trailer. I have two other trailers for hauling tractors or a car or whatever, but I would sell them first before I got rid of the dump.
If you don't mind me asking what is the quick connect that you are speaking of.

He ran power from the truck batteries to the back. Dump trailer doesn't have a battery and pulls the power it needs to dump from the truck.

Sent from a field

He ran power from the truck batteries to the back. Dump trailer doesn't have a battery and pulls the power it needs to dump from the truck.

Sent from a field
Almost, My trailer does have a batter, but it also has a receiver mount for a winch. The cables for the winch has the heavy connectors mounted up under the bumper. I just made a short jumper cable with the correct end to plug into the winch plug and connected to the battery on the trailer. The battery on the trailer is about 10 years old and wont hold a charge so I pull the power off the running truck

Attachments

• 0218171633.jpg
    0218171633.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 0218171631.jpg
    0218171631.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 0218171627.jpg
    0218171627.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
Almost, My trailer does have a batter, but it also has a receiver mount for a winch. The cables for the winch has the heavy connectors mounted up under the bumper. I just made a short jumper cable with the correct end to plug into the winch plug and connected to the battery on the trailer. The battery on the trailer is about 10 years old and wont hold a charge so I pull the power off the running truck

I was close!

I put a lunette ring on mine, and I have a 2.5" receiver... I had one person ask to borrow it... I said sure, do you have a pintle hook? Oh, no? Sorry.

Those anderson connectors are color coded for amp ratings, just in case someone is looking to use them for a specific application. Gray wont plug into red, red wont plug into blue,etc.

I didn't know that. Grey and red seem to be all I've seen. Lot of the slope trucks have them for quick jumpstarts.

Back