Does owning a dump trailer make financial sense

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2012outdoorsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So as the title states have you guys actually checked your numbers to see if it really makes financial sense to own your own dump trailer. I'm talking to homeowners and DIY guys only, not you guys who own a business and use it for that.

I will most likely always own a 1 ton or equivalent truck as we like camping in our fifth wheel. Ive been looking into getting a dump trailer but I'm having a hard time having it make financial sense. Im looking at the 14k, 14' models and they cost roughly $7k. Yes you can get a cheaper ($5k but usually only 10') one but I want this trailer to last so I've only been considering the heavy duty models.

That would mean it would take roughly 10 years of free wood to bread even with just the purchase price and then factoring in registration and maintenance (at least one set of tires, bearings, paint touchup) I figure it will take another two years. We average 600-700 for a tri axle load around here typically around $700. I have turned down quite a bit of wood that around that 40 mile 1 way drive because I just felt it wasn't worth the fuel for at max 2/3 of a cord. L

What really blew my mind today was the cost to deliver item 4. I called for an estimate and the cost per a ton was $5 additional dollars with no minimum. I asked for 10 tons and with delivery I was at $197. I live off the beaten path about 25 miles from the closest place and it was only $50 for delivery. This would be a minimum of two trips with the larger dump trailer and and at 100 miles at 10mpg at 2.50 a gallon it's $25 just for fuel.

Maybe later in life when the kids get old enough for 4 wheelers I'll want a trailer and it would just be easy to buy one and not own two but I'm just blown away.

I just want one so bad but, I can't convince myself let alone my wife.

I think a dump trailer is one of those things that's hard to quantify. For me, its the convenience factor. I don't have to wait for a delivery, or timing to get something I want/need. I just go get it.

But think of it this way, when you purchased your 1 ton truck, was a ROI a factor?

I have 2 of them and if I had bought them new they would never pay for themselves at the rate I use them. I buy used junk all the time and make it good enough to use and I don't care what people think of the way the look. I also have a flatbed dump that I built myself. This is the 3rd truck it has been on. I used to buy 12' logs and delivered to my house. Was the cheapest wood I have ever gotten even taking into account "free" trees. I spend too much on toys to do firewood. Flatbed trailers can also be used for wood, you just need a stronger back to make them work. Less money and more uses but more back work.

I thought long and hard about a similar question, but I was debating between a dump trailer and a dump truck. I decided on the truck. Paid $6,000 for this. 4wd, engine has 130K on it. I built some larger sides on it. I can't tell you how much time this thing has saved me. I do a few tree jobs a year, but also have a few large lawns to maintain, so a few trips to the dump with the truck full of leaves. Neighbors also find it handy, and I don't mind if they load stuff onto the truck when I'm going to the dump. Takes no more time to empty a full load than it does for a 1/2 load.

IMG_1891.JPG

Me and my dad bought a 5x10 single axle dump holds 1/2 cord (2 face cord). We bought it new because of the price of used ones, they really seem to hold value around these parts. It will hold the compact tractor, or lawn mower and such. But there's lots of times I wished it was a bit bigger at least 6x12. Hold a bit more wood or the father in laws utv. But the dump was priced right and I can haul it with ease with the old mans Yukon, or the duramax. But the odd jobs that I have done and the tops that I am cutting out of the bush could really never be done in my eyes without it. I'm considering trading in my 16ft equipment trailer and dump in on something bigger. But just trying to decide on gooseneck or not. I don't think I would ever go without a dump trailer now that I have used one. I would rather one one of them than a utility trailer a bit more money, but a lot more tasks get done with ease and less back ache just pressing a button to unload it. But this is just my opinion

a flatbed dump is more financially reasonable than a dedicated dump trailer. i do own a business so i use my dumps all the time. if i didnt have a business i wouldnt own a dump trailer. i would own my skidsteer and a 20-24ft 14k equipment trailer with a 3/4 or 1ton dump bed truck tho. no sense lifting all that wood in then manually unloading it all too. just food for thought

I faced the same issue when I bought my 20' aluminum 10K flat deck trailer. Got it brand new for $4400 out the door. Technically, it's a car hauler, but I've literally had everything under the sun on it and has ended up being about the handiest thing ever. I built 2.5' tall stake sides for it and math says it holds exactly 3 full cords split. The convenience factor definitely has to be weighed in on the equation and not just looking at ROI when buying something like this.

Let's just say after owning one I wouldn't want to be without one. I built mine, it's a lighter duty than most it's size. It's roughly 6 x 10 with 2' sides, double rear gates. I built it off a tt frame, it has two 3500 lb axles, it weighs 1950 lbs so an estimated load capacity of 5K, I have never put that much weight in it. I usually split right into it as I like to leave as much mess in the woods as possible. It's a lot of things in life, can't always financially justify it but it sure is nice.
I am in the construction business so I need one but that aside, I use it all the time for other things. My philosophy on hauling gravel or stone is this "it's not worth my time to go get a small amount when I can get it delivered for almost nothing".

Shop around. I looked at the ones TSC had, EZ-Dumper, and Brimar. They were all well built but a little light. I wanted a single axle. They were all around $3500. They had stamped tin fenders, 5 lug wheels, and a short stamped tin tail gate. They were all rated at 3500 pounds. Then I found a Peguea dealer. For the same money he had an 8' dump with 6 lug wheels, electric brakes, 10 ply tires, diamond plate fenders, diamond plate steps, a 5 foot drive on ramp. The ramp will also swing from the top with chain straps to hold the tailgate for spreading gravel. It's rated at 5000 pounds with a 2 5/16 ball. I can drive my BIL's Kubota on. Filled to the top of the side boards is exactly one cord. With the heavy fenders I've bolted 20MM ammo boxes to them to store my loggin chains and snatch blocks. Can't do that with the round tin fenders. I'm sure the other companies made heavier duty trailers too, but they didn't have them on the lot, and I'm sure they would have cost more. All you need to do is go to the dump one time, and see the folks with pickups and flat trailers snatching and pulling to get a pile of stuff off, and you push that button and away you go, it's worth it. I just have a 99 Dodge 1500 4X4 to pull with. I'd love to have a dump big enough to put my Massey Ferguson 135 on, but then that would start to push the limits of the Dodge, Joe.

Not to mention days like this, loaded 3 trailer loads of Poison Ivy from a friends Vet's office.

I don't use mine for commercial use, but I try to store as much of my yard tools on it as possible to keep them out of the garage. Love my trailer, Joe.

Yes it's worth it. I've had mine ten years, so that's $350 a year. The insurance is covered by the vehicle pulling it. I got an $18 a year policy that covers it for any damage that may happen to it while it's not on the truck. I used to leave it on the truck, but since I retired, I sold my VW golf, and the truck is my only transport. Yes, it's worth it, Joe.

Let's just say after owning one I wouldn't want to be without one. I built mine, it's a lighter duty than most it's size. It's roughly 6 x 10 with 2' sides, double rear gates. I built it off a tt frame, it has two 3500 lb axles, it weighs 1950 lbs so an estimated load capacity of 5K, I have never put that much weight in it. I usually split right into it as I like to leave as much mess in the woods as possible. It's a lot of things in life, can't always financially justify it but it sure is nice.
I am in the construction business so I need one but that aside, I use it all the time for other things. My philosophy on hauling gravel or stone is this "it's not worth my time to go get a small amount when I can get it delivered for almost nothing".

Here delivery on gravel or topsoil is $$. I can get 5 yards of topsoil in my little dump truck for around $65. If I had it delivered it'd be around $200.

I hauled about 75 yards last spring to fill a sinkhole in my yard. That alone nearly paid for the truck, never mind that it's used daily for firewood deliveries.

I am planning on either buying one or building one this year. I would not be using it commercial, but I would definitely use it for more than just firewood.

Right now I use a 18ft car hauler. I lay chains across the deck before I load. And when I get home I hook them up to my loader and lift or drag it off.

I have a friend that does something similar. He doesn't have a tractor to unload, so he backs the trailer up to a tree and chains the load to it and pulls the truck ahead.

Both work, but not exactly ideal.

Steven

I have had my dump trailer for about a year. It was 5 years old and needed a little work but nothing too bad. I got it for $2K, it's a 6x10 10,000lb model with 3' sides. I can carry a cord easily. I think it is the best investment I have made to date. I have hauled 4 tons of gravel in it a bunch of times as well. It also more than doubles the capacity of firewood I can haul in one trip. In NC you can get a permanent plate and it's good for the whole time you own the trailer so there is no yearly fees now for me. I would get rid of one of my trucks before I sell my dump trailer. I can also transport my skid steer in it pretty easily to do side jobs.

Yes worth it to me. Allowed me to haul loads I never thought I could or would have. Haul materials when I wanted not when someone else wanted. On my second dump trailer now. Now have 5 ton dump truck and 10.5 ton dump trailer. Less trips. Stopped by DOT three times now and no tickets yet. Did get my class A to cover my butt
If to much $ start with simple flat trailer and a shovel. I have seen people get creative at loading and unloading flat trailers.

Your biggest problem will be answering to the people who want to borrow it all the time! I have a 14' 15k and you will need a 1 ton to pull it, I prefer my buddies 12' . Wouldn't be without it.

Latest posts

Back