Good commercial woodsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing.

I sometimes get people wanting me to cut them some crazy deal because they want x amount of cords. I don't do it, the price is the price. 1 cord or 1000, it's the same amount of work per cord for me.

WoodTick007, so $66 or $88 a bush cord? How can the guy even break even?

Log lift is the way to go. This was red oak, cut at 20" deep. Just have to roll it on the ground to the splitter, and it's easy after that. I've since then added a 2 wheel dolly cart to move things around to and to the splitter, which helps a lot. Bar on the saw is 28". I go after the big stuff, that most people don't have the equipment to handle.

20151219_143130.jpg

The auto split by automated biomass systems is the closest you are going to find to what you want. Has log lift and automatically splits it.

Does anyone know of a good commercial woodsplitter that is capable of splitting big rounds in one crunch? I'm getting older and don't want to handle the wood any more than I have to. My splits have to be on the small side(3" or less) and I don't want to have to run the splitter more than one pass per round. Therefore it has to have automatic return, the ability to make many splits in one pass(maybe a 8 or 10), log lift, and plenty of hydraulic power. My back has been giving me fits and I don't want to give up my wood. I have a supersplit and it is wonderful, but would like to find something a little more back friendly. Hopefully 10k or less.
Woodmizer are great

Log lift is the way to go. This was red oak, cut at 20" deep. Just have to roll it on the ground to the splitter, and it's easy after that. I've since then added a 2 wheel dolly cart to move things around to and to the splitter, which helps a lot. Bar on the saw is 28". I go after the big stuff, that most people don't have the equipment to handle.

View attachment 565522
What size saw is that?

Thor, I can think of two things I think would help you more than buying another splitter. First i would make a small boom with a winch to mount on your dump trailer, It would allow you to load trailer long logs on the trailer to dump and buck later. It will speed up the gathering of wood a lot as you would only have to make one or two cuts per tree instead of bucking everything into stove wood lengths, not to mention the boom would do all the heavy lifting. You can buck at home when you not under the end of the month time restraint. The second thing I would do is mount a second boom and winch on your splitter. I have a boom on my splitter and I use it for loading everything I dont feel like picking up by hand. I can use a set of log dogs to hook up a large round 20ft away from the splitter and load it without breaking a sweat, or my back. You can use the boom to hold up one half of a big split while you do the resplits on the other half of the round. This saves a ton of wrassling heavy wood and speeds things up a bunch without working harder.

I use my 6x10 homemade dump trailer to get logs in 10ft lengths, I have bucked before loading exactly one tree in my trailer in the last 3 or 4 years. I dump my logs close to my wood shed and buck when I dont have anything else to do. I pull my splitter up to my pile of rounds and use my boom to load the logs. Sometimes i back my trailer up under the splitter and let the splitter just push the splits back onto the trailer to be back under the wood shed and stacked, and sometimes I just let the splits pile up and use the tractor to scoop the wood and haul to the shed. I do very little manual lifting of my wood, and when I do it usually only after the wood has been reduced to splits that will fit in my stove.
Mudstopper-
Can I see a pic of your boom mounted on your splitter? I have been looking at the Gorillabac because I have been laid up with a bad back after doing some heavy lifting onto my splitter. The Gorillabac looks like a great idea but question the durability and it actually looks pretty easy to duplicate.

The is a used PowerSplit on CraigsList: Grand Rapids, MI under log splitters for $14,000.

Do any of you guy's own/have owned or run a Power split? The youtube videos look pretty impressive, just wondering how they are in a real world production cycle.

Does anyone know of a good commercial woodsplitter that is capable of splitting big rounds in one crunch? I'm getting older and don't want to handle the wood any more than I have to. My splits have to be on the small side(3" or less) and I don't want to have to run the splitter more than one pass per round. Therefore it has to have automatic return, the ability to make many splits in one pass(maybe a 8 or 10), log lift, and plenty of hydraulic power. My back has been giving me fits and I don't want to give up my wood. I have a supersplit and it is wonderful, but would like to find something a little more back friendly. Hopefully 10k or less.

How many cords are you looking to split per season ?
I think since you have a FEL your best bet is to make a staging table and load that table with your FEL.
keep the SS and noodle the rounds to your size needs. Also 10k buys a decent amount of "labor" in these parts.
Heck around here there are commercial guys that will sell you green split wood off season real cheap. split what you can handle and buy the rest/or pay for the labor to "lift" the rest.

Do any of you guy's own/have owned or run a Power split? The youtube videos look pretty impressive, just wondering how they are in a real world production cycle.

Like most production splitters, you can expect about a cord an hour from a single vertical powersplit/timber devil. The real advantage to the machine is the ease of production and the quality of the splits. Unlike a processor or a big splitter with a fixed box wedge, each split is exactly the size and shape you want or more importantly, your customers want. You don’t end up with a pile of slivers and blocks that need to be re-split. You can also maximize production from marginal wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJ4YmxJuFY&list=PLp3vMWQRwyNl_oYACuC8LPLeO5ACLAC1L&index=1

Having some variety in split size is nice, at least I think so.

Everyone talks about the dreaded "resplit". I have a 5 way on my processor (6 way, but 1 wing is broke off) it's not too often I have to resplit, maybe 5-6 pieces in a cord on average. If I fixed the knife it'd be even less.

Part of moving wood is to have a good supply of reasonable sized l9gs. I'd much rather have 10 16"dbh logs than 2 40"dbh.

All depends on your market and how readily available processable wood is in your area. Out here on the coast, most of our customers purchase ½ or 1 cord a year. Cost per cord last year was $375 delivered and we sold over 100 cords and were sold out by December. For close to 4 bills a cord, customers want wood that is uniform for easy stacking and does not need to be re-split.

I have run a processor with a 12 way fixed box wedge and it really could push 4 cords an hour. Unfortunatly about ¼ of the wood from the processor needed to be re-split and about ¼ of the wood was slivers and/or mulch. Log length firewood here is almost unavailable here and if you can get it, you can expect to pay about $150 a cord delivered. You take what is on the truck and pay in cash.

I was talking to the owner of a power split in PA this winter that was for sale. It was a used double spilt. He said to really get maximum production out of the two splitters, you needed three guys to operate the machine. 2 guys splitting and one guy running his butt off keeping them stocked in rounds. If you had enough rounds bucked and the right kind of wood, three guys could do 20 cord a day. There is a big operation south of me that runs a double power split. They start out with logs on a processor, cut them to length and just split them in half, then move the rounds to a dump trailer with the bed lifted, and then 2 guys run the power split there and finish the splitting process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=35&v=sGfXuNzb0Ig

Latest posts

Back