Countyline 30 ton splitter heat issues?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just recently bought a Countyline 30 ton splitter from TSC. Getting a little concerned about the heat it is producing on the cylinder and trying to figure out if this is normal. Did some splitting for less than 2 hours and outside temps are in the mid 30's. Took a temp reading on the cylinder and if what I used is accurate, it showed 170 degrees. Couldn't touch it for more than a second. Supposed to have AW32 oil in it and it is where it should be. Granted some of the pieces was a little tough. Maybe I am just used to my old one which got barely warm. Now the new one has has a faster cycle time and rated at higher tonnage which I realizes creates more heat.

If it is getting this hot in cooler weather, what is it going to be like when it is warm outside? How hot is too hot? I am going to talk to the guy at TSC and see what he says about it. Trying to find out if this is normal or not. The lines and tank do not get as hot as the cylinder, they are pretty warm but not hot like the cylinder.

Just recently bought a Countyline 30 ton splitter from TSC. Getting a little concerned about the heat it is producing on the cylinder and trying to figure out if this is normal. Did some splitting for less than 2 hours and outside temps are in the mid 30's. Took a temp reading on the cylinder and if what I used is accurate, it showed 170 degrees. Couldn't touch it for more than a second. Supposed to have AW32 oil in it and it is where it should be. Granted some of the pieces was a little tough. Maybe I am just used to my old one which got barely warm. Now the new one has has a faster cycle time and rated at higher tonnage which I realizes creates more heat.

If it is getting this hot in cooler weather, what is it going to be like when it is warm outside? How hot is too hot? I am going to talk to the guy at TSC and see what he says about it. Trying to find out if this is normal or not. The lines and tank do not get as hot as the cylinder, they are pretty warm but not hot like the cylinder.
My 25 T TSC gets pretty warm too. Hasn't been an issue in 5? years. I know this has been asked about before and the more knowledgeable (hydraulic)guys said not a problem. @sean donato what you say?

My 25 T TSC gets pretty warm too. Hasn't been an issue in 5? years. I know this has been asked about before and the more knowledgeable (hydraulic)guys said not a problem. @sean donato what you say?
It's getting a bit warmish @170*f. 180*f is about as hot as you really want to get it. After that, you're in seal damage territory and thinning out an already very thin oil (aw32 is a 10 weight oil.) Which isn't going to do the pump any favors. Check fluid level, the cheaper splitters (no offense) go with the more is better idea vs having a cooler. When the level gets low it doesn't allow the hang time in the tank to help dissipate the heat out of the oil.

Have 25 ton, same thing. They're good splitter, but not made to run much more than 2 hours on a regular basis. The ambient cooling/rest is needed to prolong the oil and seal life. It works for me because I only do a loader bucket or 2 at a time. But, I have a friend that cuts 5 cord, piles it up, and splits it all in one day on his Countyline 25 the same as mine.

It's getting a bit warmish @170*f. 180*f is about as hot as you really want to get it. After that, you're in seal damage territory and thinning out an already very thin oil (aw32 is a 10 weight oil.) Which isn't going to do the pump any favors. Check fluid level, the cheaper splitters (no offense) go with the more is better idea vs having a cooler. When the level gets low it doesn't allow the hang time in the tank to help dissipate the heat out of the oil.
Before I split anything with it, I did check the oil and it actually had too much in it, took a small amount out. Now it is where it should be at on the dipstick.

Also trying to find out if this splitter has an adjustable relief valve.

Before I split anything with it, I did check the oil and it actually had too much in it, took a small amount out. Now it is where it should be at on the dipstick.

Not sure on your model but on my 25T you screw the dipstick in to check the level. I wasn't sure and TSCwas no help so I called speeco and that's what the told me. Not sure who is making for TSC nowadays.

A bit over full won't kill anything, if it gets too hot it will push some out the breather. Just so long as it isn't low on fluid.
Some do, some don't. Unless you're constantly hitting relief (you'll hear it screech and the cylinder will stop moving.) You won't be heating fluid up from going over relief. Also, unless you have a gauge piped in, best to leave it alone.
Does your manual mention anything about duty cycle? How long between splitting and giving it a rest to cool off?
I built my own splitter, so by the time it's out of gas, I need to get more wood ready to split and it gets a decent break.

Not sure on your model but on my 25T you screw the dipstick in to check the level. I wasn't sure and TSCwas no help so I called speeco and that's what the told me. Not sure who is making for TSC nowadays.
On mine, it says to not screw it in. YTL makes them now.
A bit over full won't kill anything, if it gets too hot it will push some out the breather. Just so long as it isn't low on fluid.
Some do, some don't. Unless you're constantly hitting relief (you'll hear it screech and the cylinder will stop moving.) You won't be heating fluid up from going over relief. Also, unless you have a gauge piped in, best to leave it alone.
Does your manual mention anything about duty cycle? How long between splitting and giving it a rest to cool off?
I built my own splitter, so by the time it's out of gas, I need to get more wood ready to split and it gets a decent break.
Have not heard any screeching. Couple times it slowed to a crawl but never completely stopped. Don't think manual says anything about duty cycle unless I over looked it. The most we ran it at one time was about 1.5 hours, once we had to stop, usually didn't get back to splitting until few hours later or the next day. Comparing this to my older MTD splitter, we ran that thing much longer without any issues with heat at all. I know these are different machines, faster cycle, higher tonnage on new machine. One difference between new one and the MTD is the new one has AW32 oil and MTD has ATF fluid. Not sure how big of a difference that would make but the MTD barely got warm at all after splitting for a while.

But I am a concerned about how hot it is getting after such a short period and in cool weather, mid 30's. What's it going to be like in the middle of summer? I talked to someone from TSC and he really couldn't tell me if I have an issue or not. He did give me a number of the guy who owns the service center they deal with. Going to call him soon and send YTL an email.

Have not heard any screeching. Couple times it slowed to a crawl but never completely stopped. Don't think manual says anything about duty cycle unless I over looked it. The most we ran it at one time was about 1.5 hours, once we had to stop, usually didn't get back to splitting until few hours later or the next day. Comparing this to my older MTD splitter, we ran that thing much longer without any issues with heat at all. I know these are different machines, faster cycle, higher tonnage on new machine. One difference between new one and the MTD is the new one has AW32 oil and MTD has ATF fluid. Not sure how big of a difference that would make but the MTD barely got warm at all after splitting for a while.

But I am a concerned about how hot it is getting after such a short period and in cool weather, mid 30's. What's it going to be like in the middle of summer? I talked to someone from TSC and he really couldn't tell me if I have an issue or not. He did give me a number of the guy who owns the service center they deal with. Going to call him soon and send YTL an email.
Nice work being proactive!

Mine gets pretty hot too, Never gave it a second thought. Had it 4 or 5 years No with no issues.
Do you know what the actual temp is?

Sent YTL an email and talked to someone at the service center and both said they don't think there is an issue. It does have a 3 year warranty on the hydraulics. Just guessing here but would think if there is an issue, something would happen before that. The service guy said something I am not sure I believe and that is the outside temp will not really change how hot the cylinder gets. Not really sure what to do. I know many others have said theirs gets really hot too but not an actual number. 140 is pretty hot to the touch but that is a big difference from 170. I do have the option to return it for a refund or exchange it for another one. But if this is normal, no point in exchanging for another one.

For those with same brand and a way to check the temp, curious what others are running at.

Ty all for the help so far.

And thats why I drained and refilled with schaffers synthetic hydraulic oil, dropped the temp enough to no longer burn you on contact..its still gets hot but i'd guess its at least 15 degrees cooler during hard runs.

Hopefully not the same people making their splitting mauls. Bought an 8# head fiberglass handle a little over a year ago and already the head is separating. They won't cover it.

I have the same splitter and yes it gets hot. I put a thermometer on it but can’t remember how hot it was.

If the cylinder doesn't stop you haven't hit relief yet, no need to mess with it imo.
Faster cycle times will heat up the oil faster. Just the nature of the beast. Aw32 and transfluid are used pretty interchangeably. All trans fluid is, is a fancy hydraulic fluid after all. We used transfluid in several of our dump trucks, and I'm pretty sure my dump trailer uses trans fluid as well. Old case skid steer uses 10w30 engine oil, and some sort of magical additive we get from messicks. (Every now and then, it's expensive and I don't really think it's needed just top top the sysyem up.) Hydraulic system oil requirements are pretty basic really. Just about anything between a 10 and 40 weight will work.
I am a bit surprised they don't spec aw46, but that's just a personal preference.
I did see it asked, but didn't see a response. Have you checked the actual temp? Like mentioned even 140* is darn near too hot to touch.

If the cylinder doesn't stop you haven't hit relief yet, no need to mess with it imo.
Faster cycle times will heat up the oil faster. Just the nature of the beast. Aw32 and transfluid are used pretty interchangeably. All trans fluid is, is a fancy hydraulic fluid after all. We used transfluid in several of our dump trucks, and I'm pretty sure my dump trailer uses trans fluid as well. Old case skid steer uses 10w30 engine oil, and some sort of magical additive we get from messicks. (Every now and then, it's expensive and I don't really think it's needed just top top the sysyem up.) Hydraulic system oil requirements are pretty basic really. Just about anything between a 10 and 40 weight will work.
I am a bit surprised they don't spec aw46, but that's just a personal preference.
I did see it asked, but didn't see a response. Have you checked the actual temp? Like mentioned even 140* is darn near too hot to touch.
AW46 and ATF can also be used according to manual, AW32 is what they used. I did check the temp of cylinder and after 1.5 hours of splitting, it was 170.

Latest posts

Back