Stihl 041AV... Garage Art or Restore???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage Art of Restore???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have an 041 that I thought would be cheap to get running but I was mistaken. Mine runs and doesn't look too bad but I really dont know what to do with it other than put it on a shelf and look at it from time to time. I could sell it but I have more in it that I could probably get out of it..View attachment 609823

Goodness, that's a beautiful old 041!

Yeah, it looks okay in the pic, runs about average, had to tear it down and put a bunch of seals in it to get it to hold vac/pressure..
I have several saws that I never should have bought to fix up including the 4 I bought today..

You'll have more in it than it will be worth.
Save it. Might need something off of it sometime.

Not a rare saw. Worth keeping as a parts saw should you come across another. Not worth putting much effort into this one. I’ve had three or so. The one I kept I did so because it was in really, really good condition.

I recall selling one for ~$150 or $180. That was an A/V model. If that gives you an idea of worth.

The exhaust does sound really cool.

The starter came from the first (or second) version...
This is (most probably) the very first version of the 041 AV:

View attachment 609856 View attachment 609858

Here the RUN/STOP switch is integrated into the filter cover...

And yes, it is resting on a shelf...
I believe your correct that's the earliest version I'm aware of along with its brother the 041g that was that style also. IMG950179.jpgwhich will according to FedEx be sitting on my shelf tomorrow.

I like to see these old saws... Its not my money or time, my vote is for you to restore it! :laughing:

If it were mine it would be on a shelf as is, just in case I ran across another 041 that needs parts.

Thanks so much for the pictures of your beautiful saws!
The "Restore" votes are mounting a comeback!

3E6FE524-A029-4003-B4CA-C8A86D2233E2.jpeg 76236F67-B39D-47C7-860C-9D1D38F860B5.jpeg I got the handle for the 045 today it’s steel not the aluminum that was on it but is in good shape it even rated a new chain while it was on the bench.
Shawn

I haven't seen where you said whether you intend to keep the saw or sell it. I'd advise against fixing up a saw like that and try to make any money on it, more money involved in fixing it up than you could get for it...I know from experience..

I haven't seen where you said whether you intend to keep the saw or sell it. I'd advise against fixing up a saw like that and try to make any money on it, more money involved in fixing it up than you could get for it...I know from experience..

I'm not a "seller" regardless of the outcome, it will be on display in my garage. Either looking like it is or beautiful and running.

Saws were made to cut wood when they can not cut any more or be sold for parts then the value to sit on a shelf is zero. How many times have you asked your friends to come over and look at your old saw collection of saws that do not run any more. I have a 041 AVE that I have owned since 1982. It still runs fine and cuts well for a small saw. Now and then I fill her up with fuel and do some limbing with it. It is lite reliable fairly strong for its size and is easy to work on. When it can not run anymore it will be melted with the empty soda cans. Thanks

I love old machines like this. The only way I would dismantle and part out a Stihl saw, it would have to be completely locked up and beyond repair. I get great value from restoring and conserving.
20171031_170531_resized.jpg 20171031_170525_resized.jpg

Be careful what you call "locked up", I bought one a few days ago that the owner said was locked and all I did was remove the starter cover and presto! it unlocked itself. Guess the cord was messing with the flywheel or got in the dogs or something. I've bought several Homelite Super XLs that were "locked" when all it was was the rear bolt on the coil came loose and got caught in the flywheel.

Back