Stihl 041AV... Garage Art or Restore???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage Art of Restore???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last year a guy brought me an 041FB to look at. Two Stihl dealerships had refused to look at it by taking the new saw sales approach. What they didn’t realize was that this millionaire saw owner had a sentimental attachment to this saw that had provided heat for his family back when they were dirt poor. I put a new condenser and carb kit in it! Ran like new!!! When he came in to pick it up he fired it up, revved it, and yelled over the running engine while grinning ear to ear, ”It’s like having my old ‘55 Chevy back!!!” That one is now garage art for sure....running functional garage art!!!

My Stihl MS 390 gave me trouble felt like bearings went, pull the rope and it would feel choppy like the main bearings fell apart ordered a short block and started disassembling when I took coil off it turned smoothly got to looking at it some how coil was rubbing fly wheel both screws were tight I don’t know how it moved but it did.
Tore it down anyway and had it back together and sawing before short block arrived.
Shawn

My 045 will be running working saw because I’m not a millionaire and need a second saw in case I stick my first saw the fact that it has sentimental value just makes it cool. I hope my firewood cutting leads to the millionaire path his did. Just dreaming.
Shawn

Saws were made to cut wood when they can not cut any more or be sold for parts then the value to sit on a shelf is zero. How many times have you asked your friends to come over and look at your old saw collection of saws that do not run any more. I have a 041 AVE that I have owned since 1982. It still runs fine and cuts well for a small saw. Now and then I fill her up with fuel and do some limbing with it. It is lite reliable fairly strong for its size and is easy to work on. When it can not run anymore it will be melted with the empty soda cans. Thanks

Think you're a bit off on that.

Quite a few guys on this very site, could give you a tour of their shop and it would be an evening well spent.

I'm not a collector by any means but I'm still out there running them and giving them a story.

My grandpa still has the Jonsered's he used to log with and I like picking his ear about them from time to time.

If it's got a story or means something to you it's worth keeping regardless of how collectible it is.

From my point of view I do not have my very first saw that was old when I got it in 1964 and yes it ran. I still have several saws that I ended up with from the seventy's that still run. No body has ever asked to look at my older saw collection. I do have my 55 F100 that I got in 1062, 67 C600, 72 Stroppe, a couple saws from the 60's and a large scrap metal pile that has to be attended to from time to time. Still few have ever asked to hear old time stories they usually just want a ride. Thanks

From my point of view I do not have my very first saw that was old when I got it in 1964 and yes it ran. I still have several saws that I ended up with from the seventy's that still run. No body has ever asked to look at my older saw collection. I do have my 55 F100 that I got in 1062, 67 C600, 72 Stroppe, a couple saws from the 60's and a large scrap metal pile that has to be attended to from time to time. Still few have ever asked to hear old time stories they usually just want a ride. Thanks
People are different. Many get enjoyment from it as @DSW said. I’m one of them. If you or somebody doesn’t want to see my collection/someone else’s or talk about it; so be it.

People collect baseball cards or trains- neither of which I’m interested in, but it’s the same concept.

I do get where you’re coming from, which is more of a practicality view on saws, but different people have different quirks or things that get them goin.

To the majority of people, I’m sure a chainsaw enthusiast site is the stupidest thing they’ve ever heard of.

Myself, I've never met a running 041 I didn't like. The Supers are even better. I'd save the old girl and keep my eyes open for a donor saw. I made one decent 041 out of 2 this summer. Yeah, they're heavy and somewhat slow and they aren't all high tech...but all those things apply to me too, so I'm okay with that.

saw has negative vibes ...shelf it....

Bad juju, bad luck saw.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk
I agree with you guys. Immediately I got a bad vibe from the story and apparently I wasn't the only one. I have been wearing a whistle on my work shirt or suspenders for almost 3 decades in the event of an accident. If somebody like a little kid got hold of it and blew through it I would break it on the spot, take a week off work and hide.
Maybe not go that far but I've got rid of a few. When I was a deck hand Salmon Fishing years ago, if you opened a can upside down the skipper would grab it, march it out the door and throw it off the back deck. They were all like that. Things you just don't do on a boat.

Looks like the voting has pretty well petered out...
16 say art and 8 say restore.
It has to live in your heart.
As to say if you are asking then perhaps your answer is in your question.
I will pass on my vote this time.

Looks like the voting has pretty well petered out... 16 say art and 8 say restore.
Most of us wouldn't have an opinion. It's really up to you what you want to do with any project. I fixed mine up a bit but sometimes have second thoughts about why I spent the money on a saw that I'll probably never use and would be hard to sell at a profit. I really didn't need any more shelf saws..

Most of us wouldn't have an opinion. It's really up to you what you want to do with any project. I fixed mine up a bit but sometimes have second thoughts about why I spent the money on a saw that I'll probably never use and would be hard to sell at a profit. I really didn't need any more shelf saws..
The story and history is somewhat erased as well. It’s good to keep that in mind. I enjoy blasting them/ painting and making them look new.

But the history will never come back so it’s something to consider. I already voted but the vote is sort of meaningless IMO. His saw.

Latest posts

Back