Stihl 041AV... Garage Art or Restore???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage Art of Restore???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

agleason

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine sold me his Grandfather's old 041AV. The story is that a tree fell on the old fella AND the saw way back. He got broken leg and the saw was damaged: handlebar bent, recoil cover broken, bar cover broken around the muffler but functional, missing hardware, etc.
The best part was the Stihl 25" bar with "Made in West Germany" still very legible. The bar is a little rusty but in great shape otherwise

The saw turns over and still has great compression... OPINIONS WANTED. I started a poll for the next 31 days.

20171029_175838.jpg 20171029_175844.jpg 20171029_175900.jpg 20171029_175906.jpg 20171029_180542.jpg 20171029_181320.jpg 20171029_181449.jpg

I’m between buying a replacement top cover for it too for the added look. Do they have the original?

I say restore but not to a show piece but to a working condition it’s hard to find that quality in modern saws I myself am bringing a 045 out of storage bent handle bar smashed muffler less than a $100 in it and it’s making chips again and my 85 year old grandfather grins from ear to ear when he sees his old saw running again. He told me if the saw is running he should fell a tree with it. I drew the line there. He can tell me where and how to cut a tree but if you can’t walk you don’t get to saw.
Shawn

I definitely will locate a replacement top cover for it. I don't want the saw incomplete. I will also at least get it running, anything with good compression should have life in it.

I have a couple 041’s. I really like the sound. One is a runner but I popped the pull cord on it. It needs some tlc. The other I have intentions to one day get running.

I’m not a big fan of restoring to begin. To fix yes but I like for the wear and tear to show. Shows its had a good life of working. You shouldn’t have too hard a time finding parts saws

The 045 that I’m working on had a tree fall on it also but it was what stopped the tree from hitting my grandfather with full force. He always carried the saw with the bar down between the rods that operated high lift on his tractor it fit in there like a holster the tree that fell on him was dead and the logs he was skidding must have knocked it over the log hit him and pinned him to the steering wheel hard enough to bend the wheel but he was able to breathe because the saw was pinned under it to holding it off him somewhat. So he thinks I saved his life.
Shawn

The saw has a Frankenstein-ish look to it... the starter/tank assy is from a very early 041 AV, the top (orange) frame from a later (3rd?) version with safety trigger ... I would put it on a shelf and wait for a donor saw.

Very nice bar, though...

The saw has a Frankenstein-ish look to it... the starter/tank assy is from a very early 041 AV, the top (orange) frame from a later (3rd?) version with safety trigger ... I would put it on a shelf and wait for a donor saw.

Very nice bar, though...

You are right, the saw looks to have a mashup of parts. I'm having a tough time figuring out which parts are the originals...

If I get the serial number off the saw can someone here ID the version 041 it is?

Can someone post a picture of each version here? That would help me a lot.

I may be willing to sell the bar... [email protected] shoot me an email and can discuss it.

I have an 041 that I thought would be cheap to get running but I was mistaken. Mine runs and doesn't look too bad but I really dont know what to do with it other than put it on a shelf and look at it from time to time. I could sell it but I have more in it that I could probably get out of it..041-1.JPG
I sold it once and mailed it but the carrier dropped it and broke the handle so I had to take it back and repair it. They generally look better than they run...

Back