Ideas on straightening splitter beam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was me I would stop wasting money cobbling it up. Just get a welding shop to make you a new beam and slide using a suitable size beam for what you are doing. You are using a small production machine to do large production, not a winning idea. Nothing wrong with doing that as I do it all the time but I usually take the time to modify it so it takes the abuse I will give it. Pic of my Speeco after I revised it abit. I bought it brand new with the intention of cutting it up. Used it for 2 years and then when I had time I cut it up and reworked it. It was cheaper to start with a complete new one than to buy all the parts. Pics of another old one I bought to flip, cylinder was too short, beam was too short and slide was tinfoil. I redid it using scrap and made some money. I also built a 36" with 4 way adjustable wedge.
IMG-20130904-00506.jpg IMG-20130904-00478.jpg

If it was me I would stop wasting money cobbling it up. Just get a welding shop to make you a new beam and slide using a suitable size beam for what you are doing. You are using a small production machine to do large production, not a winning idea. Nothing wrong with doing that as I do it all the time but I usually take the time to modify it so it takes the abuse I will give it. Pic of my Speeco after I revised it abit. I bought it brand new with the intention of cutting it up. Used it for 2 years and then when I had time I cut it up and reworked it. It was cheaper to start with a complete new one than to buy all the parts. Pics of another old one I bought to flip, cylinder was too short, beam was too short and slide was tinfoil. I redid it using scrap and made some money. I also built a 36" with 4 way adjustable wedge.
View attachment 629599 View attachment 629600

Yeah, I have the right tool for the job now with the WP835. I was using this splitter in vertical mode for big rounds, but with a tractor at each location now, I can lift any round I will encounter to the horizontal splitter. Toying with the idea of 1) fixing, selling, moving on or 2) fixing and converting it to wedge-on-beam style like you did, but I was only going to cut the footplate to be as wide as the wedge and use it to support the wedge. On the Speeco, do you get a lot of junk caught between the push plate and the wedge in the wood cradle. One main thin I dislike about the wedge-on-cylinder style.

W

That is an easy fix. . . if you have torches steel plate and a "good" welder capable of welding 3/8-1/2" steel in one pass.. If you try it with a little **** breather welder your going to end in frustration and out of pocket $$$ as plate steel is not cheap.
If it was me I would buy a new beam from a scrap yard for .20 cents a lb and move forward.

After looking at your pictures, the solution is obvious to me.

1) Part out the splitter, recovering most of your initial investment. With all of the busted wedges, cylinders and beams you have there should be quite a bit in scrap iron alone.

2) Replace the splitter with something more appropriate for the skill level of your operator, like this:

maul.jpeg

After looking at your pictures, the solution is obvious to me.

1) Part out the splitter, recovering most of your initial investment. With all of the busted wedges, cylinders and beams you have there should be quite a bit in scrap iron alone.

2) Replace the splitter with something more appropriate for the skill level of your operator, like this:

View attachment 630432

Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate you! My Fiskars X27 has held up really well and probably split more wood than either splitter. Now to find a welder...

W

Call DHT's warranty department.
Really, aren't you the guy who couldn't figure out where to post a saw for sale, then gave everyone a hard time when they tried to give you some advise.
I'd think you of all people would know how it feels when your treated poorly and would do things differently o_O.
Still agging I see.
Quite disappointing too.
Pretty sure that's not allowed here.

Yeah, I have the right tool for the job now with the WP835. I was using this splitter in vertical mode for big rounds, but with a tractor at each location now, I can lift any round I will encounter to the horizontal splitter. Toying with the idea of 1) fixing, selling, moving on or 2) fixing and converting it to wedge-on-beam style like you did, but I was only going to cut the footplate to be as wide as the wedge and use it to support the wedge. On the Speeco, do you get a lot of junk caught between the push plate and the wedge in the wood cradle. One main thin I dislike about the wedge-on-cylinder style.

W
I think the main reason he doesn't get much "junk" caught in there is because the tearing of the fibers and such is taking place at the end of the beam and not all along the beam as with it set up how it was from the factory.
Nope, never got much stuck in there but I used it for bigger rounds and for an owb so that might have helped.
You know I've always wanted to convert one like that, when you gonna bring it by :).
I do want the smaller cylinder for a little more speed vs power as I'm sure that slices through a good size round with relative ease.

Really, aren't you the guy who couldn't figure out where to post a saw for sale, then gave everyone a hard time when they tried to give you some advise.
I'd think you of all people would know how it feels when your treated poorly and would do things differently o_O.

Quite disappointing too.

Pretty sure that's not allowed here.

I don't recall ever posting a thread on a saw for sale. Show me this post you speak of please.

I don't recall ever posting a thread on a saw for sale. Show me this post you speak of please.
How quickly we forget, maybe it was another sb47.
Please just try to be nice, he's changed his tune, and I think it would be kind if others would appreciate that and do the same.

How quickly we forget, maybe it was another sb47.
Please just try to be nice, he's changed his tune, and I think it would be kind if others would appreciate that and do the same.
I didn't forget, I have never posted a saw for sale on this site. Perhaps you should do your research before you make accusations. I don't mind being corrected when I'm wrong or even criticized for a comment, if it's warranted. Please get your facts strait before you post.

Back