New 550XP or Used 353 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on the 550XP or the 353 Huskys?

A 50CC saw would be a welcome addition to my CAD. A seller on CL (Jokes start NOW;)) has a VERY clean looking 353 for sale, asking $300/FIRM. The seller is a regular, I suspect a retired saw mechanic, he advertises service for Stihl and Husky, as well as usually having about 3 Dozen saws for sale, and has been on CL longer than I have been watching there for saws regularly, so my gut tells me he is reliable, but I have never dealt with him.

I have larger saws with 24" bars, and I am looking for something a bit more manageable for working on hillsides (all too common where I am :() and other awkward (read, I should just walk away from :D) situations. so bar length isn't (Tim Allen aside) an advantage for this saw, 16 or 18" is what I'm looking for.

The 353 has, he thinks a 20" B&C on it, and has the Green fuel cap, which in my understanding denotes an "E Tech" engine, which again, IIRC is just a Catalytic muffler, that I have read many suggest should be changed out for a standard muffler.

This is the 353:

00c0c_ekTmz3oC9e7_600x450.jpg

00W0W_apstupLWjNr_1200x900.jpg

00202_gXTfTwQANnC_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_hUYglEAeYh4_1200x900.jpg

From what I have been able to find, a standard muffler is under $20 or so, and a project that even a wrench dropper like myself can manage, I would also be looking to put a shorter B&C on it, but the original would still be very usable.

A New 550XP/16" B&C would be right at $600, so my question is, is it worth the extra cost to get a New 550XP, or the small investment to upgrade the 353 for my needs? The 353 is a full magnesium case saw.

On another thread Robin Wood commented that the 353 is a very popular saw with his professional cutters, his is an opinion that I respect, but google just isn't giving me much on the 353, such as production dates or anything.

I don't "HAVE" to have a 50cc saw right away, so what are the AS member thoughts? Am I better off to wait , and find the extra money for a new 550XP, or is the 353 a Good deal on a Good saw, that I can justify sooner?

Thanks Guys, your Opinions are Valued, and Appreciated,

Doug :cheers:

That 353 looks like it's in super nice shape. They are a good little saw and if you do buy it, you can mod the muffler by cutting another hole in the clutch side of it before the cat and braze on a deflector. Also, check if the intake manifold boot clamp is tight if it is a plastic one, or best thing is to replace it with a metal clamp. And trim the plastic carb limiter tabs with side cutters and exacto knife. That is what I would do anyway, they are nice saws to work with.

That 353 looks like it's in super nice shape. They are a good little saw and if you do buy it, you can mod the muffler by cutting another hole in the clutch side of it before the cat and braze on a deflector. Also, check if the intake manifold boot clamp is tight if it is a plastic one, or best thing is to replace it with a metal clamp. And trim the plastic carb limiter tabs with side cutters and exacto knife. That is what I would do anyway, they are nice saws to work with.

Thanks John,
I admit that 353 looks so clean, that even though I like NEW saws as much as the next guy, the 353 keeps calling me :), that and I KNOW it doesn't make any difference, but the grey on the 550, just doesn't do anything for me, not anything to base a saw decision on, but hey we like what we like, and I think for the price difference, THIS 353 is looking pretty appealing.

I can only say that I love my 353.

But if it would break I would buy a 550xp or a 545 (the actual offspring of the 353).
Only because the 353 is my favorite saw for more than 5 years. Btw I have a 15" bar on it and think that is a perfect size for this saw.
I've tried 18" but think that was a size to big. 20" Might work for the bit more powerfull 550xp though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Since the C.L. seller seems like a saw shop of some sort if you go with the 353 ask for a 16" or 18" instead of the 20 bar. Is the difference worth another $300? Probably not. And this is a nice 353. Sharp chain, shorter bar and she should work well and save you $$$.

Make sure to drop the 353 in wood, even if you have to take a log along with you in case the seller don't have any, which he should.

I have a couple of 550s and really like them.

I can only say that I love my 353.

But if it would break I would buy a 550xp or a 545 (the actual offspring of the 353).
Only because the 353 is my favorite saw for more than 5 years. Btw I have a 15" bar on it and think that is a perfect size for this saw.
I've tried 18" but think that was a size to big. 20" Might work for the bit more powerfull 550xp though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

New, it would Definitely be a 550XP, but the price and condition of this 353 keep making me think about it. I'm pretty sure that the 353 is the same bar mount and pitch(.325) as my wife's 445, so I could try the 18" bar on it, that the 445 came with. I tried to find a 445/16" B&C, but all that was in stock were 18", and I looked to long before I thought about ordering the 16" model. The dealer that I got it from gave me such a good deal that it was almost a PHO price any way, $305 retail, on a $339.95 MSRP, so I wasn't complaining. I still plan on getting the 16" for my Wife's saw. Boy She got her feelings all Hurt and panties wadded up, when I put a 13" B&C on her 445, Said that it was EMBARRASSING :eek:. She REALLY wanted a Chainsaw for Christmas, and I felt the 445 was a great Price, Power, weight balance for her, but she is new to chainsaws, so I thought the short bar would be good to learn with, until she got used to visualizing where that tip is, and keeping it out of the dirt, and other things, but she was definitely not impressed with that thinking. So I may end up buying two 16" B&C's in the future.

And NO, I AIN'T touching HER saw (other than fueling, oiling, and sharpening, basically, for none of the Fun stuff, and all the ain't Fun stuff:D) She will want to keep it Shiny, and while I try not to Abuse my saws, I DO USE my saws. :yes: The extra (20") B&C can be a back up, and wont get thrown out, so the cost of a B&C is not a major concern, especially in the 16" size.

BTW, is the 15" B&C an aftermarket? I didn't think that other than the 13" oddball, Husky did any odd length B&C's.

I am Glad to hear that people have been Happy with their 353's, the 266XP and 23 Compact that I bought new back around '91 have made a Husky believer out of me, and once I figured out what it liked for starting (NO throttle Lock, regardless of what the manual says) my 3120XP has been a Great saw too. Funny thing is my 266 Likes Throttle Lock when starting, just had to figure out what each one LIKES ;).

Since the C.L. seller seems like a saw shop of some sort if you go with the 353 ask for a 16" or 18" instead of the 20 bar. Is the difference worth another $300? Probably not. And this is a nice 353. Sharp chain, shorter bar and she should work well and save you $$$.

Make sure to drop the 353 in wood, even if you have to take a log along with you in case the seller don't have any, which he should.

I have a couple of 550s and really like them.

I think that the seller is a retired saw mechanic, not a stocking shop, buys and sells and services saws to keep busy, and make some spare change, my Dad did the same thing with Boats when he retired, but only had a couple at time, boats take up a bit more room, and capital, than chainsaws;). A 16" B&C is a small enough cost as to not worry about it if the saw is as solid as it appears otherwise.

The seller is quite a distance from me 1-1.5 hours each way from home, or about 45 minutes each way from work, but it turns out that he has a Cabin near where I live on Mt. Hood, and there are several places that I could meet him within 10-15 minutes of each of us, when He comes up to the mountain, so depending on his schedule, I will probably wait for his next weekend in the woods.

Yes, taking a bit of log is an excellent idea, Thank You for reminding me,

Thanks Old Guy, so far several votes of confidence in the 353, and no stories of woe about them.
I like reading that, I have heard endless Praise of the 346XP, with it's reputation, it is surprising that Husky doesn't resume production of them, from what I have heard/read, they would be Hot sellers.

...if you ready have CAD you will buy ...both ................;)

If it wasn't for that little issue of MONEY, I would buy BOTH in a heart beat ;)

But if I bought both, that would delay my eventual purchase of a 395XP even longer :)

And I just ordered and am still waiting for delivery of a Bunch of Granberg milling gear, so I do have to show some restraint........Don't I?:confused:

Trust me, I am STRUGGLING to control my developing case of CAD, after which ever 50cc saw works out, and the 395XP, I have been reading about the 372XP, seems to be a "Must Have" saw as well.
No Doubt about it, I AM suffering from CAD, but Really trying to Slow/Control it's progression, but I fear I am Losing that Battle, and other than future purchases as the only "Treatment", it seems there is no known CURE for CAD.

That 550xp, pho for 460 shipped to your door listed in the Trading Post here on AS is what I would buy. The seller is very trusted here on this site.

Thanks for the heads up, I seemed to have missed that one.

Like Woodbutcher56, in that Trading Post thread I am still a little skeptical about the auto-tune stuff, but do see where it would be a great advantage, as my cutting can range in elevation from as low as 200' to 4-5,000' being the average, to over 6,000' elevation on occasion.

That is a very good price, I will keep that one in mind,

Thanks for the heads up, I seemed to have missed that one.

Like Woodbutcher56, in that Trading Post thread I am still a little skeptical about the auto-tune stuff, but do see where it would be a great advantage, as my cutting can range in elevation from as low as 200' to 4-5,000' being the average, to over 6,000' elevation on occasion.

That is a very good price, I will keep that one in mind,

I am skeptical as well, but I have a used 550 around here for $300, and I can try before I buy. You seem like you have your mind made up on the 353. It's a pretty saw and I don't blame you, but if wood is all you're after dollar for dollar the 550 looks to be so much more saw.

I am skeptical as well, but I have a used 550 around here for $300, and I can try before I buy. You seem like you have your mind made up on the 353. It's a pretty saw and I don't blame you, but if wood is all you're after dollar for dollar the 550 looks to be so much more saw.

Yeah, I've been watching that 353 on CL for awhile, and it has caught my attention, leaning that way, but not decided for sure. The 550, is definitely MORE saw than the 353, but I do like the local, see before you buy aspect of the 353, but the seller on TP, with the 550, has had some Positive replies so I'm not entirely adverse to buying from the TP forum.

A 50cc saw would be a nice addition, but with the 266XP and 23 Compact, it isn't a "NEED", wood cutting opens in our woods April 15th, doubtful yet if the snow is going to be very cooperative that early this year though. It IS a "Hole" I want to fill to soothe my CAD a little, but no rush, I'll get a 50 cc, whether it is this 353, that 550, or something else, I don't know yet. I wasn't very familiar with the 353, and Google didn't add much to what I already didn't know, but many guys here seem to really Like their 353's so I was Happy to hear that.

I think that either the 353 or 550, would be well suited for what I want to use them for, shouldn't be over-working either, I have larger saws, if they are needed.

I've had and built a lot of 50cc saws because it seems to be a size that casual owners tend to overspend on. There is a wide berth of spending and building options here so don't limit yourself to the main brands. Do some reading, take your time since you can, and get a great 50cc.

Get a good 50cc saw and all your bigger saws will just sit around unless you get into bigger wood. These saws are very capable and don't wear you out being real heavy. That 353 is really clean! Looks like a winner! Grab it now! You sound just like the rest of us so eventually, you'll end up with both anyway.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back