New 550XP or Used 353 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Have it’s red cousin jonsered 2152 I really like it I took the cat muffler off and replaced it with an aftermarket returned it and it cuts pretty good I think you would be happy with the 353
I have a 18 inch b&c and it handles it ok I like mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I don't know but I hope it was the 353, as previously said you can always get a 550.
One thing about the 353 in stock for it's basically the same performance as the 450 rancher which is my favorite stock plastic saw. The cases are the same as a 346 and a 346 cP&C can be dropped on it to make it the same saw as a 346. One word of caution on the 353 is to ask if the seller used any aftermarket parts, for that price I would want it to be OE parts, but if it has an AM cylinder I would just swap it out with an oe if it was a cheap one(this is more for others reading this down the road as you've already made some decision).
The 550 is a great running saw and has more power stock than a 346 and gets better fuel economy, I also like the captive nuts and the master control that switches the engine of then returns tot the on position so you don't have to turn it to on again. All that being said I enjoy running the 346/353 a lot, it's a great handling saw and for the most part you will never have to go to the dealer with it.
So what did you get :sweet:,
Brett

OKay, I did get the 353;), I liked the hold it before you buy it, and hear it run aspect. I know the 550 was NIB, so it running wasn't likely to be an issue, but still, nothing makes you want to take something home like holding it in your hands:), Lots of Marketing research has proven that.

The seller is a saw mechanic, that works out of his home, the vast majority of his work is regular work for some tree service companies, with some fill in referral work when he has the time. He also buys and sells to make a bit more. I didn't ask where he gets most of his inventory, but my own Father bought and sold boats as an income hobby when he retired, so I know how networking in that situation works.

The second saw that I almost brought home was a 346XP, it looked good in the pics, and wasn't a Bad saw just not as pristine as the 353, the top cover, and clutch covers had been repainted, and both saws sure sounded good. The seller met me in between his place and my work, I had a mandatory break coming up, and my next load wasn't going to be ready for a bit, so I took an extended lunch and met him, damn, I just kept going back to the 346, it sounded really good, but $100 more, and not as sharp, I tried to get him to do a "Package Deal" but he was holding firm on his prices:(, and that next $400, would be a good start on saving for a 395XP, and of course a 372XP is another "Must Have" to complete a CAD collection:yes:, so as much as I would have liked to brought both saws home, I am sure that the 353 was the best choice for my needs.

Thanks again for all the input, I hadn't heard much about the 353, it seems to be a well kept secret, but those that have them sure seem to be HAPPY with them. It was getting dark when I got home, and I did cut some small stuff with it, and it just felt good in my hands, like how a 1911 .45 ACP fits my hand like no other Pistol. It Ran SMOOOTH and Strong, I feel Good about this purchase, and am confident, that it will serve me well, as my other Huskys have.

Doug :cheers:

I owned all of those 550 545 346 OE NE 353 350 351 etc.

$300 for a all OEM 353 seems the going rate. Super nice looking saw you can work on yourself without having to hook up to computer to chase issues.
I really liked the 550 545 stock for stock over a 346 myself.
Make sure you have the updated metal clamp on intake.

Matter fact I been holding this 353 priced at $350 for a guy for a few months to get his cabbage grown.

h353xx.jpg h353x.jpg h353cc.jpg

Well I'm glad you choose wisely, they are great little saws. I see no need, but if you want now you could drop a 346 P&C on it and you have a clean 346 with a new P&C for what he wanted for a beat up with a well used P&C :).
For an small firewood saw I see no need for anything bigger, keep a sharp chain on it and it will cut great for many yrs.
As Jeremiah said many of them have a plastic intake clamp, I don't worry about them, but check them when I clean the filter and if they are tight and unable to spin I just run them. That being said if you don't want to think about it at all just replace the clamp with a metal one, that is if it has a plastic one as it may have a metal one already.
Congrats on the saw,
Brett

If it wasn't for that little issue of MONEY, I would buy BOTH in a heart beat ;)

But if I bought both, that would delay my eventual purchase of a 395XP even longer :)

And I just ordered and am still waiting for delivery of a Bunch of Granberg milling gear, so I do have to show some restraint........Don't I?:confused:

Trust me, I am STRUGGLING to control my developing case of CAD, after which ever 50cc saw works out, and the 395XP, I have been reading about the 372XP, seems to be a "Must Have" saw as well.
No Doubt about it, I AM suffering from CAD, but Really trying to Slow/Control it's progression, but I fear I am Losing that Battle, and other than future purchases as the only "Treatment", it seems there is no known CURE for CAD.

The only cure for CAD is when they plant you. I plan to take a few saws with me whenever that time comes. :)

What's up Sam, haven't seen you around in a while, hiding in the shadows :cool:.
Hope all is good.
It does look good doesn't it :sweet:.
Haven't been up to anything to interesting. Just hiding in the shadows so I don't send you a pm on your 359 you have for sale. Lol. I'm glad your 241's you sold didn't last long. I liked those also. Hope things are good with you.

Haven't been up to anything to interesting. Just hiding in the shadows so I don't send you a pm on your 359 you have for sale. Lol. I'm glad your 241's you sold didn't last long. I liked those also. Hope things are good with you.
Doing great here thanks.
The 241's did go quick, great little saw for a small fuel efficient saw that will eat up some 8-10" wood.
You can shoot me a PM on it if you'd like.
You never got back with me the last time we talked about how much you wanted to spend when you difdidtell me what to list next :innocent:.
But to keep with the thread the 353/346 is one of my all time favorites :D.

Doing great here thanks.
The 241's did go quick, great little saw for a small fuel efficient saw that will eat up some 8-10" wood.
You can shoot me a PM on it if you'd like.
You never got back with me the last time we talked about how much you wanted to spend when you difdidtell me what to list next :innocent:.
But to keep with the thread the 353/346 is one of my all time favorites :D.

Hey chipper1, I've learned a Lot from you and other members, on this and other threads, I can live with a little thread drift;)

The only cure for CAD is when they plant you. I plan to take a few saws with me whenever that time comes. :)

I would be tempted to take my 266XP with me when "Planted" but the thought of that saw not being used as it should be, makes me feel selfish, another tough decision :rare2::confused:

Thanks for the grace, glad I could help:cheers:.
I do try to be considerate as it makes it easier for the next guy to learn :).
I have learned a lot in a short time here on AS, I had cut a lot of wood before joining AS, but growing up my Dad pretty much stuck with the standard full comp chains, like what came on his Super Pro 60, so I never learned much about just how many different types of chains there are, and some of the finer points like the importance of raker height and many other things.

I knew a lot about cutting safety, but there sure was, and still is a lot I had yet to learn.

The AS community is very generous with their time and knowledge, I try to contribute as well when I can, Now if I could just learn to stay away from the Pol/Rel forum, I wouldn't get so worked up, I KNOW that I should "Just Say NO" and stay away, but for some reason that I can't explain, just like a Crack head, I keep getting drawn back ;):(:surprised3:

That's a great looking saw. You don't find many 353 in that condition anymore.

Thank You, the condition is what kept drawing me back to that saw, and if the little I have cut with it so far is any indication, it runs as Good as it looks.

I have had many occasions where I used the 266xp, when this saw would have been a much better tool for what I was doing.
I have no doubt, that this saw will get plenty of use.

Since the C.L. seller seems like a saw shop of some sort if you go with the 353 ask for a 16" or 18" instead of the 20 bar. Is the difference worth another $300? Probably not. And this is a nice 353. Sharp chain, shorter bar and she should work well and save you $$$.

Make sure to drop the 353 in wood, even if you have to take a log along with you in case the seller don't have any, which he should.

I have a couple of 550s and really like them.

Actually, when the seller told me he thought it had a 20" bar, he was going off memory, not holding the saw, so My LUCKY DAY, it was wearing an 18" B&C which is what my preference was so it was an even better fit for my use than I expected :surprised3::):dancing::happybanana:

Latest posts

Back