Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this rain drove me down in the basement. The only reason I came up is there is no beer down there. Gotta send out a big thanks to SVK for the Kevlar gloves. Been working on the blade of my Collins boys ax. With just the file it will shave the hair off my arm and slice a sheet of paper like butter, and I haven't even pulled the stones out yet. Also hit the Collins Legitmus Double a couple strokes. Will have a couple pics later. Gotta get back down stairs. Rust is forming on everything and the beer is getting warm, terrible combination.
Good to hear, I had totally forgotten about those!

Here are a couple pics of the Boys Ax. The one I'm working on is on the far left of the 4.
fcwEBrJ.jpg

After I got the nails out of the kerf, the head tapped off easy. The stick is still in good shape, so put a couple hours with the 4 in hand rasp on it. Thinned it a little and reshaped it to octagonal. But after trying to sand out most of the rasp marks, it's almost round again. Put one coat of BLO on it. Going to make a Black Walnut wedge today. After I get it all tight I'll put a few more coats of BLO and call it a day.

SMgGpc3.jpg

I think I posted this pic before? Does anyone know what this little ax is for. My guess would be a small "Mortising" ax. The hammer head is checkered almost like a meat hammer, and the handle hole is about the size of my index finger. The ball peen, for comparison, is a 2 ounce Plumb. The ax is the one that was in the bottom of a box lot my cousin bought for a dollar. I gave him a dollar for the ax, so he was tickled, he got the rest of the box for free.:)
fRXm3Of.jpg

Almost finished. I hand fit the wedge to the kerf. If you look at the store bought wedge it tapers rapidly from the top to bottom. The "point" that bottoms out in the kerf is not touching either side. The only point where there is good contact is half way up the kerf where it starts to get tight. The store wedge is Poplar, so it will deform and smash out and make a little better contact where it deforms. I hand fit the wedge so it's square at the bottom and just a couple thousandths thicker where it bottoms out, it's Black Walnut and pretty hard compared to the Poplar. Plus there is contact all the way down the kerf. I slathered in a good dose of exterior wood glue. I wish I had a good wood epoxy on hand , but I didn't. It says it will be fully cured in 24 hours, think I'll let it sit for 48 hours, then grind the rest of the wedge off. I might still get some epoxy and try to pump it down the groove where they had a square cut nail driven in.
dBeVjMz.jpg

GqaC9yN.jpg

nogbU04.jpg

I keep forgetting to weigh the heads when I have them off. The handle is 24 1/2 inches and the whole thing weighs exactly 5 pounds. It feels very head heavy. I just called it a boys axe because it was short. If you look at House Handles, their boys axe has a curved handle 28" and 2.25 pound head. My Plumb and Craftsman Boys heads are both 2.25 pounds. If the other guys say it's not a boys axe, I'll stand corrected.

I know there is variation around regions, styles and personal preferences but what do you guys think the scale is? Names, Head weight and shaft length ranges.... My guess:
Hatchet 1 1/4lbs 15"
House axe? 1 3/4lbs 20"
Camping axe. Errrrr
Boys axe. Errrrrrrr
Small felling axe 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 lbs 28"
Large felling axe. 3-6 lbs 32"+

??

I think I'll get the gray single in the middle next, I think I can save the handle. Of course it has a nail driven in it. The wedge is pretty soft, I pulled a big piece out with curved needle nose pliers and then cut the rest out with an Exacto saw. Head came off pretty easy. I tried to weigh it on my digital fish scale and the battery was dead, so I stood on the bathroom scale and held it, just about 3 pounds. I have a postal scale I'll move down to my junk room later, I don't have a flat spot to put it. No name on the head, it only has a couple dings on it, and was painted red. I think there is plenty room on the handle to reset the head lower. Oh, 36" handle.
ychZ9iI.jpg

ZsL37Bx.jpg

typETPX.jpg

qvMn408.jpg

I have fallen in love with the Jersey pattern axe, but sadly nearly no one needed anything heavier than a 2#head in my neck of the woods. Is there any of you that know of a way to ship an axe head from the states for less than the price of a new axe. I would love to get my hands on a beauty like rarefish’s next project.

Back