Restoration Pioneer P51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsaw_George

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
i would like to share the restoration of my Pioneer P51 her in the forum. It would be nice if a few of you could give me some good infos about it. For the first time i have dismanteld and cleaned it to some extent. Unfortunatley, the flywheel is broken and the piston is seized up. I have to find replacements for these parts, what else would you recommend replacing to get the saw working properly?
Do any of you have a good address where i can buy these parts or get them used?
Pictures of the restoration will be follow up next Time.

Best regards and thank´s for Infos

All the rips on my flywheel are broken, i think it was blocked on running high rpm and every rip broke away. I´m serching on Ebay but i don´t found the flywheel 474645 so i start the post here to get a seller link or an other Member who had this parts in his garage.
I also looked on the chainsawr.com shop but every second part on his webshop is sold out, i don´t know why he list part´s they don´t have? Also a part request don´t help they sad he has too much work to look for these parts. My P51 is from the rest in nice shape but the flywheel and the cylinder is in bad condition. On evening i like to share some pics of it.

No it is not the same flywheel but he wrote the same partnumber on ebay. Here´s some pictures of the parts and the P51. What are you mean can i use the cylinder again with a new piston?

Attachments

• Cylinder 2.jpg
    Cylinder 2.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Cylinder.jpg
    Cylinder.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Piston 1.jpg
    Piston 1.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Saw.jpg
    Saw.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 1
No it is not the same flywheel but he wrote the same partnumber on ebay. Here´s some pictures of the parts and the P51. What are you mean can i use the cylinder again with a new piston?
Take some time and watch a few videos on YouTube on cleaning aluminum transfer out of a cylinder and your cylinder should clean up fine . If the piston got hot enough to melt check over your wrist pin bearing as well I’ve found a few p series saws with worn out bearings. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting a aftermarket piston from little red barn and they have kits with different gaskets as well. I’ve found the tolerances for the wrist pins to be pretty tight and had to preheat the piston to fit a frozen pin

The Pioneer pistons are supposed to be heated to remove and install wrist pins, Pioneer also devised a pin press to install and remove wrist pins without using heat, I prefer to use heat ,always have, no chance of galling the softer aluminum forcing a steel pin in a very tight tolerance hole.

Ok thanks guyes for the advice, cleaning the cylinder is a good way to reuse them. I save a piston kit from red barn in ebay for my P51 with gasket. Now my only problem is to find a useable flywheel. In the near future i will share some pictures of the progress of the work.

Back