Homelite xl101 and super ez chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogulmasher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey all, somewhat recently acquired a xl101 and a Super EZ Auto. Both have 3/8" lp chain on them. Is this correct for these old saws? My research online has come up with 3/8" chain listed for them. Pretty sure I've heard you can put lp chain on 3/8" sprocket but not vice versa. I think both saws seem to have the power to pull regular 3/8".

Hey all, somewhat recently acquired a xl101 and a Super EZ Auto. Both have 3/8" lp chain on them. Is this correct for these old saws? My research online has come up with 3/8" chain listed for them. Pretty sure I've heard you can put lp chain on 3/8" sprocket but not vice versa. I think both saws seem to have the power to pull regular 3/8".
As far as I remember both oem ran 3/8x050chain if you run LP chain you have to swap the bar;sprocket, & chain although the chains are listed as both being 3/8 the DL profiles are not the same & is not snug fit on the sprocket & a std 3/8 sprocket nose bar is not a correct fit14/16"bars work best & they both have enough "umph" to pull std size chain they both run 1link less chain than normal ie 16" bar std size 3/8 chain 59 instead of the normal 60 on a 16" bar

Both saws have what look to be stock Homelite bars, the xl101 is a hard-nose and ez his a sprocket tip.

I know pitch is slightly different between lp and regular 3/8", but thought I read on another thread on here that lp will work on a regular 3/8" bar/sprockets....other way around doesn't work though. I wouldn't think it's ideal though to do it.

Back