McCulloch Super 250 drive clutch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camer_1107

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the forum.
I recently acquired a super 250 and have to replace the drive sprocket because the previous owner ran a 3/8" chain on it and ruined the old one. I have to remove the drive clutch assembly to get to the sprocket.

I'm just wondering if the drive clutch assembly is pressed on to the crankshaft, or threaded on? I'm guessing it's pressed, I just wanted to make sure. I already removed the nut that holds the assembly to the crankshaft.

Also, if anybody has any other tips regarding this job or the chainsaw in general that would be great. Thanks.

The crankshaft is tapered, the clutch will normally come right off once the nut is removed. If yours has a right hand threaded nut the clutch will be keyed. Sometimes you will have to put the nut back on to protect the threads and give it a rap or two with a hammer while pulling on the clutch to pop it free.

Be sure to properly torque the nut when you put it back together, too many crankshafts and clutches have been destroyed when the nut works loose and the loose clutch slaps the key around causing all kinds of collateral damage.

Mark

The crankshaft is tapered, the clutch will normally come right off once the nut is removed. If yours has a right hand threaded nut the clutch will be keyed. Sometimes you will have to put the nut back on to protect the threads and give it a rap or two with a hammer while pulling on the clutch to pop it free.

Be sure to properly torque the nut when you put it back together, too many crankshafts and clutches have been destroyed when the nut works loose and the loose clutch slaps the key around causing all kinds of collateral damage.

Mark
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Do you happen to know what the torque spec for that nut is?

Latest posts

Back