Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went back out to my grey and red box scrounge spot this morning. Everything was still as I left it on Tuesday. If I came across a peppermint log that had charcoal on part of the outside, I'd probably move on and find one that didn't. With grey box, however, there are few sins that can't be forgiven.

28th Sep 8.jpg

I gave the 460 a go today as it hasn't had much love recently and worked the remainder of the log into rounds.

28th Sep 5.jpg

Then split. A few pretty ugly shapes and noodled some as they were just dead-set unsplittable.

28th Sep 3.jpg

Packed them into the trailer - bit over half a cube then reversed over to the red box.

28th Sep 4.jpg

Also put some of the dry end bits into the back of the Suby for old time's sake.

28th Sep 2.jpg

Knocked a few rounds of the red box with Limby this time, with still a bit left there.

28th Sep 7.jpg

Loaded up. Not so pretty but it warm you long time.

28th Sep 1.jpg

Then I went for a walk a bit further up the track. Anyone game to have a crack at this one? The higher one is directly over the lower one :eek:.

28th Sep 6.jpg

Me, I think I'll pass. You could probably scrounge a load out of the branches out of pic to the left without too much trouble but I think I might keep my scrounging a bit closer to home for a while now. The Suby uses about 14 litres of fuel to get there and back at $1.52 per litre, so about $21 of fuel for a bit over 1/3 cord. But then you have to factor in the benefits of healthy exercise and the incalculable benefit of being able to post pics of your scrounge on the interweb.

:)

I went back out to my grey and red box scrounge spot this morning. Everything was still as I left it on Tuesday. If I came across a peppermint log that had charcoal on part of the outside, I'd probably move on and find one that didn't. With grey box, however, there are few sins that can't be forgiven.

View attachment 677107

I gave the 460 a go today as it hasn't had much love recently and worked the remainder of the log into rounds.

View attachment 677099

Then split. A few pretty ugly shapes and noodled some as they were just dead-set unsplittable.

View attachment 677097

Packed them into the trailer - bit over half a cube then reversed over to the red box.

View attachment 677098

Also put some of the dry end bits into the back of the Suby for old time's sake.

View attachment 677096

Knocked a few rounds of the red box with Limby this time, with still a bit left there.

View attachment 677105

Loaded up. Not so pretty but it warm you long time.

View attachment 677094

Then I went for a walk a bit further up the track. Anyone game to have a crack at this one? The higher one is directly over the lower one :eek:.

View attachment 677100

Me, I think I'll pass. You could probably scrounge a load out of the branches out of pic to the left without too much trouble but I think I might keep my scrounging a bit closer to home for a while now. The Suby uses about 14 litres of fuel to get there and back at $1.52 per litre, so about $21 of fuel for a bit over 1/3 cord. But then you have to factor in the benefits of healthy exercise and the incalculable benefit of being able to post pics of your scrounge on the interweb.

Some nice wood there mate, I'd be putting a chain around that limb that's hung up and pulling down (we do it all the time in some of the places we cut in) works a treat and takes the danger right out of it as a rule.

View attachment 677100

That would be a piece 'o cake. Dead trees on the ground are easier than dead trees still standing; even if they are only partly on the ground.

But you would have to pay me to do that one. If I was a scrounger, I would pass on it for sure. Normally, I am happy if I can give wood away. I paid $27 disposal charges today for a couple tons of elm, and I have the rest of the tree to dump tomorrow.

We don't seem to have any scroungers in our area. :(

Some nice wood there mate, I'd be putting a chain around that limb that's hung up and pulling down (we do it all the time in some of the places we cut in) works a treat and takes the danger right out of it as a rule.

It'd be nice because there's a crapload of wood in those two branches. But there's no chance in hell of getting that one down without heavy machinery - calling it a limb doesn't do it justice. The picture is deceptive. The lower one is a good 30 inches and the upper one is only a little less so there's a huge amount of weight there. The main trunk of that tree is about 2 metres in diameter. It's a monster. And I have a 4cyl Subaru.

I was thinking about you this morning on my drive out there since I haven't seen you about on AS for a while. I'm glad it is not because you died. How's the ticker?

It'd be nice because there's a crapload of wood in those two branches. But there's no chance in hell of getting that one down without heavy machinery - calling it a limb doesn't do it justice. The picture is deceptive. The lower one is a good 30 inches and the upper one is only a little less so there's a huge amount of weight there. The main trunk of that tree is about 2 metres in diameter. It's a monster. And I have a 4cyl Subaru.

I was thinking about you this morning on my drive out there since I haven't seen you about on AS for a while. I'm glad it is not because you died. How's the ticker?

Ah that makes sense mate, if it's that big leave it well alone, just not worth the risk. Yeah the tickers fine, all tests came back showing it's in great condition despite the years of abuse.;)

I've been kept busy enclosing a deck, I've been out cutting wood too but haven't worried about posting anything.

here's some stuff I've been cutting up lately (not sure if I've posted any of them up before)

MfQogyTh.jpg

rwkR07Fh.jpg

TJAZ6x1h.jpg

Q544jInh.jpg

KDHauugh.jpg

6bSNXFyh.jpg

Got kinda a late start this year. I'm behind big time. I stack 4 rows tall & deep & I'm only at 2. 5. Here in New Hampshire the summer was either raining or ridiculously ludacrisly hot (muggy). But I'll get her done.

I use a 550XP & husqvarna site says 20" bar max. I went to shop where I bought saw about 4 years ago & the guy says "you don't want to put a 20" bar on it". I said husqvarna site says it's max. I went with it & found it to work ok. Boggs down a little but not horrible. And I'll probably just use on the big buts like in the pic.
25eac8d35a9c1ffbdd3460974aa787cd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Got kinda a late start this year. I'm behind big time. I stack 4 rows tall & deep & I'm only at 2. 5. Here in New Hampshire the summer was either raining or ridiculously ludacrisly hot (muggy). But I'll get her done.

I use a 550XP & husqvarna site says 20" bar max. I went to shop where I bought saw about 4 years ago & the guy says "you don't want to put a 20" bar on it". I said husqvarna site says it's max. I went with it & found it to work ok. Boggs down a little but not horrible. And I'll probably just use on the big buts like in the pic.

Are you using 3/8 or .325? Also if you did a muffler mod and timing advance that would really sling a 20" nicely.

View attachment 677207 @Cowboy254 one of the small hickories had an accident.

It happens sometimes. Just bad luck, I guess :innocent:.

Hot and humid, urk. Hard to get motivated to do firewood in those conditions. What's the wood you've got up there?

I went back out to my grey and red box scrounge spot this morning. ...

View attachment 677100

Cough , cough ...

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...at=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=griphoist

Latest posts

Back