Kinetic splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hydraulic splitter has 9.5 sec cycle times. The Kinetic splitter is not that much faster.
I know what you mean. Mine is 10.5 sec cycle time and when splitting by myself, I can barely keep up with keeping the split wood out of the way.

Kinetic splinters have less than half the cycle time of hydraulic splitters. It’s definitely a LOT different.

For example the DR products have 2.5 Second cycle times.

Worth it IMO

Picking up the logs take the same amount of time regardless....so I could have WELL OVER twice the amount of wood split with the DR kinetic splitter versus a 10 second cycle hydraulic splitter.

I am struggling to find a reason to say its “NOT” worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But why do the machines cost 3K. Where is 3K worth on material and components?

I understand your point but they have a HUGE selling point. You are buying the efficiency and simplicity of the machine and you are buying the time you will save.

It would be no different than buying and axe that cost twice as much but the axe happened to split wood twice is easy.

I would buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is a 4 seater UTV $20,000 or more? Why are wakeboard boats $150,000 or more?
Why is a new truck $70,000?
It all comes down to what people are willing to pay. How much is your time worth? Not to mention, a SS makes splitting FUN! (Don't tell the wife).

I understand the efficiency argument. However if the price keeps people from buying the product, there only hurting there own sales.

You can buy a $1000-1200 Chinese kinetic splitter. Hard to say how well they’ll hold up. The reason a made in USA splitter is 3k is because it is made in the USA. A US manufactured hydraulic splitter is going to be 3k. Now, on a hydraulic splitter the components are all pretty much off the shelf so they are cheap and proven. The kinetic splitters have parts that are custom made for the kinetic splitter only.

The odds of a hydraulic Chinese made or Chinese parts sourced, US assembled splitter working are pretty high. If a component poops out then an off the shelf part can likely be gotten and made to work without too much trouble. Not so much on the kinetic splitter. If the manufacturer doesn’t supply parts then you are talking machine time or a boat anchor. Go back and read the horror stories about speeco and their kinetic splitter. They pulled it off the market.

They look kind of fragile and almost toy like to me although I know they’re not. I’ve thought about one of the offshore models but I think buying a genuine supersplit would be the way to go.

I've been looking at a kinetic splitter to run small rounds. For the life of me I just can't see where there worth 3K+
It has a motor, 2 fly wheels mounted on an I beam. Where is the 3K going?
They're

Compared to my SS 9.5 seconds is slow. Plus wood that will groan and take extra time gets split easily in my SS. It splits elm way faster than my hydraulic because it isn't tearing the fibers apart, its slicing them.

Compared to my SS 9.5 seconds is slow. Plus wood that will groan and take extra time gets split easily in my SS. It splits elm way faster than my hydraulic because it isn't tearing the fibers apart, its slicing them.

The wedge on my splitter is just as narrow as the one on kinetic splitters, It doesn't tear the wood ether.

Seeing how you have a hydro already. I would invest in a bigger pump, engine and maybe a dump valve for return stroke. You can be into the 26gpm range for less then $1000. Especially if your using a Chineese engine from harbor freight.

If you didn’t have either, I would be looking at a kinetic fir my first and only. Anything that the kinetic couldn’t do, I would just noodle it till it could. And then get one with the electric motor, so it’s quiet. The older I get the less I enjoy noisy environments, regardless of hearing protection.

Back