Kinetic splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell no!!!! :eek:

3 years ago My new 3500 CC, long bed, single rear wheel, gasser was $35,000 out the door

If you don’t option them out, the HD gasser trucks are less than a half tons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitbread Looking forward to seeing this please start a thread with lot of pictures. I think there is a market out there for that type of a machine if one can make one that will hold up and not get too high priced.
I'll be sure to post up when I get started on it. Like I said, I absolutely love my SS, but after using it for 3 years to feed a hungry boiler, I think it's a bit undersized for many current users with boilers being far more common than 30+ years ago. My boiler is "little" compared to many and it has a 31" deep firebox, so a 23.5" log is wasting quite a bit of space in the box. Since I run a fab/machine shop and can't leave anything well enough alone, I think it's time to make an modern kinetic that is basically an equivalent to a timberwolf.

Without getting too political, because of government interference, nothing cost what it really should. For example trucks that were mentioned earlier, have no where close to the amount of material in them of the asking price. The consumer has to pay for the cost of production, the insurance cost of all the employees, the income tax of ass the employees, the retirement plan for employees that retired years ago, the transportation cost to get the product to market, the pavement on the car lot, the lights in the showroom, the water in the bathroom and the business taxes of the local government. While not all of these go into splitter cost you also have to figure in insurance cost for the lawsuits when someone hurts themselves with it also.
You even have both insurance and government regulating how big chains and belts have to be and if they can use inexpensive grade 2 bolts or pricey grade 8 fasteners.

All that aside, I worked in a small engine shop at the time of the Speeco Kinetic Splitter recall. I ran several of them before I pulled the parts off to send in for recall.
The way that thing shook, banged and bounced around, I would not want one. I however have never ran a super spilt bit have only heard good things about them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

All this talk of "having to spend" 40 + thousand for a new pu is BS...

I bought a NEW HD half ton 4x4, plow prepped, HD trailer tow package, limited slip, V8 ect… this summer for under 30K!

SO, start looking at trucks that aren't optioned out like a Cadillacs and you will have a more affordable truck that will last just as long as the expensive ones!

SR

Cheapest dodge $33,500, Chevy $34,000, and Ford $31,900. Within 25 miles of my house. All half tons. Problem you run into is many are smaller cab rigs. So if you need to haul the kids around it may be tough. I bet you the same trucks at the auction run for just a few thousand less with miles on them. The last year or two prices have been crazy at the auctions. Non affiliated dealers are paying premium to get quality used rigs. You start mixing in a 3/4 or a 1 ton and the jump is huge.

You don't have to spend 40k but it is hard to get what you want. I spent 6 weeks running over auction lanes and bidding on what I wanted. All I was looking for was a 3/4 ton dodge 4 door with mileage under 60k. I wasn't paying over wholesale book. Many ran at 500-1000 under high retail.

Cheapest dodge $33,500, Chevy $34,000, and Ford $31,900. Within 25 miles of my house. All half tons.
How did you come up with those prices?? Window sticker??

I'm talking about what you actually "have to pay" for a pu, not sticker or some published price. There's always deep discounts, and even more discounts if you will take a pu with 3 or 4 thousand miles on the odometer, especially if the salesman knows you are actually "buying a truck", not just kicking tires!

UNDER 40K isn't hard to do at all, even for a 3/4 ton or a half ton 4 door...that is, "IF" you aren't trying to keep up with the yuppie neighbors or a bragging friend...

SR

Back to Kinetic splitters.

There are some features I wish Super split would offer, that they don't, but I think they are still the best kinetic splitter available today, especially after 2012 when they up'd the flywheel weights. A 10hp diesel with a longer stroke and a log lift sounds cool. I don't see how you could retail them for $4,000 though. If the people who think 3 grand for a SS is expensive, I challenge you to add up all the parts needed, and labor involved. I bet the profit per machine isn't as high as people think it is.

Then change to a much larger 10hp diesel engine, a log lift with all the needed steel, hoses, cylinder, way to run that cylinder. Better axle and tires for road towing, longer rack for the bigger stroke, etc. I think listing it for 4 grand will prove to show very little profit after costs are calculated.

I did some experimenting the last few week with my currant splitter. I worked off a stacked pile of cut rounds and to be honest after about 30 to 45 min of gettin after it I was tired and needed a break. At my age I don't want to work that hard for a long stretch at a time. I split over a cord in about 1 and a half hours so my splitter is plenty fast for me. No sense buying a machine I can't keep up with.

Back to Kinetic splitters.

There are some features I wish Super split would offer, that they don't, but I think they are still the best kinetic splitter available today, especially after 2012 when they up'd the flywheel weights. A 10hp diesel with a longer stroke and a log lift sounds cool. I don't see how you could retail them for $4,000 though. If the people who think 3 grand for a SS is expensive, I challenge you to add up all the parts needed, and labor involved. I bet the profit per machine isn't as high as people think it is.

Then change to a much larger 10hp diesel engine, a log lift with all the needed steel, hoses, cylinder, way to run that cylinder. Better axle and tires for road towing, longer rack for the bigger stroke, etc. I think listing it for 4 grand will prove to show very little profit after costs are calculated.
I've already done the parts costs and I know where I'll be. As I said previously, I run a machine/fab shop so this is what I do for a living. I see no reason why it would be more than $4500 retail. There are many cost saving measures implemented. The machine will be extremely utilitarian so don't expect any flair. The engine will be a yanmar clone made by launtop and the log lift will be powered by a ip67 1000lb linear actuator. There will be no hydraulics. The 120-150lb flywheels will be of overseas origin, but balanced here. Rack and pinion will be usa made. Bearings will all be off the shelf standards.

You can buy P/Us for much less then many people are paying but you'll have to order in.Almost all the ones on dealer lots are optioned out.
Not completely true...

Mine was on the lot, and I found 3 other's that weren't "Cadillac's", at another dealer too, I just went for the most pu for the least money and I'm happy with my purchase...

It has just the right amount of options...

SR

How did you come up with those prices?? Window sticker??

UNDER 40K isn't hard to do at all, even for a 3/4 ton or a half ton 4 door...that is, "IF" you aren't trying to keep up with the yuppie neighbors or a bragging friend...

SR

Somewhat in the business. Why I was able to get mine at the auction vs a sales lot.

You are the minority rather than the majority with what you want in a pickup. We move a couple hundred 3/4 and 1 tons a year. The guy that wants a stripped down truck is rare. Heck even a 3/4 ton 6.0 4 door with out a backup camera seems un wanted.

Somewhat in the business. Why I was able to get mine at the auction vs a sales lot.

You are the minority rather than the majority with what you want in a pickup. We move a couple hundred 3/4 and 1 tons a year. The guy that wants a stripped down truck is rare. Heck even a 3/4 ton 6.0 4 door with out a backup camera seems un wanted.
I agree with you... BUT, all I keep hearing is, "you have to pay" 40, 50 or even 60K for a pu… That's all BS!

You CHOOSE to pay the big bucks, you don't HAVE to... And MY new 29K pu will last just as long as the high priced spread!

BTW, I didn't give up much, it has PW, PL and even a back up camera...

SR

Back