timber claw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper_Pete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
any one using a timber claw by timber tough tools or the lockhart's gripper?

fleet farm had some https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/timber-tuff-timber-claw-log-carrier/0000000078259
for what seemed like a good price.

lockhart's firewood gripper https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/timber-tuff-timber-claw-log-carrier/0000000078259

my local saw dealer has had them in 22-24 inch for a while he feeds and OWB so he thinks in OWB length wood , I got to try them out at his shop and it seemed to work well and should be handy for moving rounds and 1/2 and 1/4 rounds to the splitter.

I will let you know when I get to try it out on more than just a few rounds.

what tongs do you like ?

it worked on pieces that were 16 but not on those that end up 14

my complaint with it is that out of the package the spikes were loose they thread into the handle and have a lock nut it seems to be better after I grabbed it with a pliers and wrench and tightened it up

3 hours in I can say ------ I am leaving the second one in the package so that I can return it if the ends don't stay tight after tightening them.

and

I am getting more interest in tongs that work very well from 13-18 inches .

the concept is great

the timber tuff execution seems so so

I have 8 and 12 inch (jaw opening). Both Husqvarna brand and I use them every time I go out. The 8's I can carry in my back pocket to grab limbs to pull em closer to my pile and the 12's work great to grab rounds for the splitter or to just grab pieces out of a pile.
e5dacb86e78e1f68d4d22b11542c975e.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

how do the husky tongs do at moving 1/2 of a 24 inch round or a 1/4 of a 30 inch round?

to give you an idea of what I get a fair amount of a link to a picture of yesterdays load

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/attachments/2166_2255_saw-jpg.692206/
@Trapper_Pete I have 2 of the 12" husky tongs and they work great on pieces like that. They may not work well on the rounds you have before you noodle them. On larger rounds you can use 2 tongs on one piece which helps spread out the weight.

@Trapper_Pete I have 2 of the 12" husky tongs and they work great on pieces like that. They may not work well on the rounds you have before you noodle them. On larger rounds you can use 2 tongs on one piece which helps spread out the weight.

that sounds good I am giving up on lifting those rounds pre noodled just roll them over and noodle , it takes a lot less grunting and groaning to spend 30-40 seconds noodling one in half and have it be easy to move so I have a minute and a half in it if I have to make quarters.
but they load so much easier in the truck or on the trailer. fill the tail gate then hop up and stack I hit weight before i get completely full much easier than lifting big rounds .

each 1/4 or 1/2 will split down to about 5-6 good firewood pieces meaning I save touching the wood 4-5 times if I load the 1/2 & 1/4 rounds then split as they go in the shed.

at first it seemed like 1/4 &1/2 would be more wood handling but each piece actually represents approx 5 pieces of stove size wood so it nets less handling

after tightening the lock nuts on the Tumber tuff Timber Claw it was definitely better I unloaded the truck today when I got off work at noon for Christmas Eve , Drinks didn't start till 3.

I can definitely see where sharpening will likely need to happen.

I think I will keep the one and take the one still in the package back and put the money at a pair of husky tongs.

I’ve used the Lockhart’s love em but you have to have 2 otherwise one is ackward and a pointless trip because you have 2 hands

thank you.

I have a feeling the Lockart's may be worth the extra 4 dollars , it looks like it has hardened tips and doesn't come with loose ends that need to be tightened.

I think I am still taking the second timber tuff back , wife ordered me a Husky 12 inch tongs today I am going to try those and I may get a Lockhart's and determine the most efficient thing to buy a second of.

I have and use the Lockhart's style from fleet farm. They work well when we have to cut and carry out the chunks. I have a pair of the 24" and a pair of the 16". If I was only going to have one pair I'd get the 24" ones as they work on shorter pieces ok but the 16" ones don't really work on much longer than 18" chunks. I also keep them needle point sharp. It's not super critical for soft woods but frozen or hard wood doesn't dig in if they're blunted at all

1.jpg

the timber tuff lockharts style is what I purchased from Fleet Farm they work much better after I tightened the nuts they were turning all over the place until I did that . it may have just been one that missed QA I didn't open the second one.

I cut short I would rather have it just under 16 than over by much my stove is 18 deep and 16 wide I like to have some wiggle room.

the timber tuff lockharts style is what I purchased from Fleet Farm they work much better after I tightened the nuts they were turning all over the place until I did that . it may have just been one that missed QA I didn't open the second one.

I cut short I would rather have it just under 16 than over by much my stove is 18 deep and 16 wide I like to have some wiggle room.
Makes sense to me on the length. I guess now that I think of it, I too have had issues with the lock nuts but it never really bothered me much. I'm never very far away from a good "professional nut rounder" (aka-crescent wrench)

Back