Can I Cant A Cant, or Cant I Cant A Cant,, The Question Is A Little Peavey,,,,,,,,,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a little more done today,,

VYvd9Gc.jpg

i changed the mount for the lifting foot, now, when I remove the lifting foot, all that will be left is a 1 inch piece of 1 inch round stock.
The mechanical tube will be welded to the rest of the foot.

As it sits, the height with the foot is 10 inches,, if i want it lower, I will bend the foot "leg" a little more.

I sharpened the tooth at the end of the cant handle, it is almost razor sharp now.

ZtimbT7.jpg

I whittled down the end of the cant to fit the 1.50" I.D. mechanical tube.

I think I have 4 holes left to drill, two to squeeze the bracket closed, one for the foot at the end of the cant, and one for the lift leg/foot.

pnUduoo.jpg

Now, the hard part,,, sanding the cant handle,, I may stick it in the metal lathe,, and spin it.
I came up dirt poor.. Early in childhood I watched my uncles making all kinds of wooden handles..Poor people learn a lot of tricks. I've used a LOT of broken window pane glass and always wear a GLOVE if you an afford one..Glass scrapped with the grain can remove a LOT of unwanted wood.. Kinda like a Spoke Shave.. These mallet handles were glass shaped..IMG_20190127_185852_159.jpgIMG_20200808_221902.jpg

Agree with you and I can use the cant hook to lit the end of a log (within reason) to shuffle it one way or another. Lots of options come with experience. I have even scratched my back on occasion.
Back in the 50s, the cant hooks at the outfit I worked for in central BC, did not have a dog at the end of the handle. I can't remember ever having an issue, hooking and turning large or small logs. We handled a lot of prime logs, that were 4 ft in diameter, and I had no problem handling them by myself without using the half moons.

Back in the 50s, the cant hooks at the outfit I worked for in central BC, did not have a dog at the end of the handle. I can't remember ever having an issue, hooking and turning large or small logs. We handled a lot of prime logs, that were 4 ft in diameter, and I had no problem handling them by myself without using the half moons.
I have had a few brewskis, so maybe tomorrow I will ply a few questions... I have always been impressed with what a cant hook can do in the hands of some one that knows what they are doing..

As a kid, I was a cantor in a five man mill, and according to what I learned about the terminology in central BC in the 50s, your description is correct. It is kind of fun, telling people I used to do a job that doesn't exist anymore.
What songs did you sing in the mill? :)

As a kid, I was a cantor in a five man mill, and according to what I learned about the terminology in central BC in the 50s, your description is correct. It is kind of fun, telling people I used to do a job that doesn't exist anymore.
A cantor is also a choir leader in a synagogue. ;<)

A cantor is also a choir leader in a synagogue. ;<)
The only time I did any singing at my job, was when the forklift driver dropped the logs onto the loading deck from a height of 5 ft. That time, I had to dive under the ramp to save my precious hide, because the idiot stalled the forklift while still moving forward, and the leaking hydraulic cylinders allowed the logs to drop from a height of 5 ft onto the ramp. The logs bounced right over my safety log, and actually took out the carriage. Nobody was particularly happy.
I didn't notice until the end of the day, but I actually lost my wrist watch during the episode. Never did find it.
No problem staying fit at that job.
Bob

Latest posts

Back