Disassembly and cleaning your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I been washing and cleaning my saws plus waxing them for decades. I give them the best in care, they made me money I relied on them. I did field demos and was a
fieldsalesman for my dealer but I had guys go there and buy husky after seeing me cut. My dealer helped me a lot. I see some saws for sale I think they used the saw to mow grass and used the flywheel for a mud pump or is that pine tar? My newly purchased 272 the air cleaner won't come clean. The cover was cracked but the pine tar I guess is packed in the air cleaner. Of course the saw won't run. The compression feels ok. These poor saws take so much abuse.

If that makes you feel good go for it. I have several saws that I purchased new. I give them a good air bath after each use and when I take the chain off the clutch cover area gets cleaned well and the complete saw kits wiped down with Mean Green or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try not to let them get dirty. When we wait to get our permits we talk saws.

I completely clean my saws bout once a month. Air bath.. toothbrush flat head n shop vac. But I did keep them looking brand new. I personally don't think it looks good when you show up on a job with a saw so clean it looks new. But every one has there opinions. Mine look well kept. But well used.

Where has
I completely clean my saws bout once a month. Air bath.. toothbrush flat head n shop vac. But I did keep them looking brand new. I personally don't think it looks good when you show up on a job with a saw so clean it looks new. But every one has there opinions. Mine look well kept. But well used.
Where has Bill been hiding? Clean saws run cooler too.

I keep a pressurized bug sprayer full of purple power. Hit them with that then a hose when there bad and just compressed air usually. That stuff will dull paint so be careful on your old saws.
I would presume you have a product equiv to our traffic film remover used by Auto detailing shops mixed as recomended will not harm paint /plastics

I am doing a top end swap in an older MS 290 and I literally have removed more than a pound of oil soaked dust from the inside of it. The bar didn't have any paint left. Took quite a bit to dress it up for use. So you know they were just cooking away with a dull ass chain until their little sausage beaters wore out :(

Keep your chain sharp.

pull clutch and recoil covers and blow saw down occasionally.

Keep your oiler adjusted properly.

Take care to keep the saw out of the dirt and dust pile when making cuts close to the ground.

Keep saw out of the sun.

I used a small plastic brush with long heavy bristles to disturb the caked on stuff, a can of degreaser and a blow gun to clean up the parts on the saw. Still a pain..

I been washing and cleaning my saws plus waxing them for decades. I give them the best in care, they made me money I relied on them. I did field demos and was a
fieldsalesman for my dealer but I had guys go there and buy husky after seeing me cut. My dealer helped me a lot. I see some saws for sale I think they used the saw to mow grass and used the flywheel for a mud pump or is that pine tar? My newly purchased 272 the air cleaner won't come clean. The cover was cracked but the pine tar I guess is packed in the air cleaner. Of course the saw won't run. The compression feels ok. These poor saws take so much abuse.

Try this to clean your saw's. You will be surprise...
A490_200.png

Try Shout laundry stain remover. I started using it when I heard about it from the dirt bike crowd. Spray on wait a couple minutes, hose off and dry. Done and won’t harm plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back