Saw Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dishwasher detergent is usually caustic, and might be hard on some aluminum parts. Heated dry could damage some plastics.

But, a lot of guys have reported using them for saws, here on A.S. Maybe experiment with different detergents on some cheap / ‘dead’ saw parts, along with cycle times?

I would certainly consider making room for one, if building out a new shop.

I used an old Crock Pot as a heated parts cleaner, for bicycle parts, for a while. Before I started using ‘Super Clean’. The heat helped when using certain brands of water-based parts cleaning solutions (without sodium hydroxide).

Good to have different options!

Philbert

It helps to also have a range of poking / scraping / cleaning / reach tools. I have an eclectic collection that I use for cleaning lots of different things: chainsaws, bicycles, garage sale tools, etc.

Among my special ‘tools’ are: toothpicks, wooden shish-kabob skewers, long plastic bristles scavenged from rotary sidewalk snow brushes, dental tools, sharpened popsicle sticks, plastic putty knife, ‘Q’-tips, pipe cleaners, old toothbrushes, a variety of small bottle brushes (including baby bottle nipple brushes), straightened paper clips, small hemostats, etc.

Also, small bottles and mesh strainers for soaking small parts.
Philbert
Just pulled a small box of dental tools out of our dump, I mean transfer station, scrap metal dumpster. There were more, but I would have had climb in and they frown on that. My favorite place to shop!

Wait, you guys have been cleaning your saws?
nothing water based unless being torn down, a easily removed cover or a washable filter , compressed air is whats used to maintain cleanliness but a spritz of diesel/kerosene/mineral spirits/paint thinner then compressed air would help remove sap/hardened oil

Pros in the bush usually don't have access to a compressor and wouldn't waste their time with soap..they don't care what their saws look like. They only care that they run good.
Kinda where I was going. I was more concerned about the effects rather than the looks.

Back