Saw Cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthompson224

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The other day I was servicing my saws and saw I had some build up of oily gunk in crevices, normal type stuff and not excessive. I blew it out with compressed air. But it made me wonder how do the pros clean their saws? Do you use soap of any kind, like a a foaming engine cleaner, or just blow them out?

A couple years ago, I worked at a place with pretty old saws...Stihl 036 era saws. At the end of each shift, we would remove the bars and air filter covers...and, blow everything out. Those saws were really quite clean, after many years, with just that treatment.

Roy

I will add...that was 99% hardwood cutting.

I may not be an old saw pro but watched my A&P liberally use mineral spirits and compressed air in aircraft engine bays during inspections. The Guys at Samitains Purse running disaster recovery equipment trailers, likewise use lots of mineral spirits and compressed air, they maintain 20 to 30 saws that have been run hard, every night for weeks at a time. I use the same on my saws each night when I've been cutting.

I have cleaned them all sorts of ways but most of the time I use simple green and/or purple power With compressed air seems to do the trick most of the time. Not that I am a pro just a shade tree saw mechanic.

The other day I was servicing my saws and saw I had some build up of oily gunk in crevices, normal type stuff and not excessive. I blew it out with compressed air. But it made me wonder how do the pros clean their saws? Do you use soap of any kind, like a a foaming engine cleaner, or just blow them out?
I found the more I’d clean saws (especially the older ones) the more damage I’d cause. Blow them off with compressed air (older ones be cautious and use low pressure or you can strip the powder coat!), pay attention to the fan wheel and cylinder fins and keep the air filter clean.

Leave any of the oil on them, keeps them protected. If you need to do any work on them beyond the basics, then a degreaser and wash followed by air is good.

It helps to also have a range of poking / scraping / cleaning / reach tools. I have an eclectic collection that I use for cleaning lots of different things: chainsaws, bicycles, garage sale tools, etc.

Among my special ‘tools’ are: toothpicks, wooden shish-kabob skewers, long plastic bristles scavenged from rotary sidewalk snow brushes, dental tools, sharpened popsicle sticks, plastic putty knife, ‘Q’-tips, pipe cleaners, old toothbrushes, a variety of small bottle brushes (including baby bottle nipple brushes), straightened paper clips, small hemostats, etc.

Also, small bottles and mesh strainers for soaking small parts.

Philbert

Stainless steel strips rescued from old windshield wipers are the small "tool maker's stock" to die for.
Great idea! I got those!

They usually live in my ‘small scrap’, resource/ recycling pile. But, per your suggestion, I will move some to the cleaning tool stash.

Thanks!

Philbert

Mostly with a scrench behind the clutch cover. Very occasionally blown upon. Sometimes wiped briefly with a rag.

Pros in the bush usually don't have access to a compressor and wouldn't waste their time with soap..they don't care what their saws look like. They only care that they run good.

The plethora of nooks and crannies on many/most current saws are ridiculous. They hold dirt and debris everywhere. Not very practical.

Being oily and dirty is a "protective coating"

Dishwasher.

That works well with a pretreat with dawn power foam, I got banned from the house dishwasher after the last dirtiest saw I was working on. Worked great and I thought a nice used dishwasher may be worth it for the shop.
I got rid of the wife; it was a cost-savings measure. 😄

Back