Insert top at 900+F at slow burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it sounds like you have a good hand on things! Better to be regularly burning on the hot side anyway for a happy flue. Have you been loading completely or like pictured? Maybe work up to complete loads if you have not been? Just seems that your burn times are rather short. Good luck.

How thick is the piece of steel you’re reading temperature off of on top of your stove?

In your picture it looks to be fairly thin sheet metal and that is going to show much higher temps.

This is the stove box itself. It is maybe half an inch thick.

Actually it sounds like you have a good hand on things! Better to be regularly burning on the hot side anyway for a happy flue. Have you been loading completely or like pictured? Maybe work up to complete loads if you have not been? Just seems that your burn times are rather short. Good luck.

I try to load as much as I can, but I make sure anything fall in my front glass. She has been hit a few times and now im on the safe side. But it's usually 3-4 good size logs. Thanks !

Have you tried loading North-South? Not sure if your splits are short enough but it works best N-S for me. By far. Something else to play with! No worries on splits rolling towards the glass this way. I load from brick to brick on the sides and very close to the lowest steel up top in mine. Different stoves but possibly worth trying.

Brr it has dropped 12f in 2 hours here. Heading for below zero. 30+ mph winds. Ready for spring already I am!

This is the stove box itself. It is maybe half an inch thick.

Well that answers that.

So you flat out can not get secondary but flames with running at 500? If it was my insert I would not be comfortable cursing at 900 with the air control closed....or even 700 for that matter.

Do some more trial and error.

On a full load almost every time i wait for 600 STT then gradually close it off keeping it at500-550. Air control is almost never closed all the way.

So if you fill the stove, wait for 600ish and then immediately close the air control all the way it will still climb past 700-800?

Did anyone ask you how long your stove pipe is? All straight up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that answers that.

So you flat out can not get secondary but flames with running at 500? If it was my insert I would not be comfortable cursing at 900 with the air control closed....or even 700 for that matter.

Do some more trial and error.

On a full load almost every time i wait for 600 STT then gradually close it off keeping it at500-550. Air control is almost never closed all the way.

So if you fill the stove, wait for 600ish and then immediately close the air control all the way it will still climb past 700-800?

Did anyone ask you how long your stove pipe is? All straight up?

Yup exactly that. I reload the stove on a hot bed of coal, reach 600F , close all air flow, then it slowly goes up to top 850F-900F, even with blower going on.
My pipe is maybe 30 feets, straight up. It is a secure temp S2100. I found that on their website.
Maybe he's suppose to burn that high.

upload_2019-1-24_10-59-52.pngupload_2019-1-24_11-2-24.png

Have you tried loading North-South? Not sure if your splits are short enough but it works best N-S for me. By far. Something else to play with! No worries on splits rolling towards the glass this way. I load from brick to brick on the sides and very close to the lowest steel up top in mine. Different stoves but possibly worth trying.

Brr it has dropped 12f in 2 hours here. Heading for below zero. 30+ mph winds. Ready for spring already I am!

My logs are between 16" and 18", so they enter only E-W

Yup exactly that. I reload the stove on a hot bed of coal, reach 600F , close all air flow, then it slowly goes up to top 850F-900F, even with blower going on.
My pipe is maybe 30 feets, straight up. It is a secure temp S2100. I found that on their website.
Maybe he's suppose to burn that high.

View attachment 698994View attachment 698995

Even if the stove is supposed to handle temperatures like that in my opinion I don’t like the fact that you close the air control all the way and you still climb 300 more degrees at least.

30 feet of pipe straight up is quite a bit.

Could be part of why you’re getting so hot.

900° also seems like you are past the point of return with efficiency. When I say that I mean the stove is so darn hot and so much heat is going out of the chimney how much are you actually getting out of it.Running 300° less than that would probably heat your house just as well and last longer.

I hope the best for you friend and hope you figure this out.

Even if the stove is supposed to handle temperatures like that in my opinion I don’t like the fact that you close the air control all the way and you still climb 300 more degrees at least.

30 feet of pipe straight up is quite a bit.

Could be part of why you’re getting so hot.

900° also seems like you are past the point of return with efficiency. When I say that I mean the stove is so darn hot and so much heat is going out of the chimney how much are you actually getting out of it.Running 300° less than that would probably heat your house just as well and last longer.

I hope the best for you friend and hope you figure this out.

Sure I lose a lot of heat going up my chimney. Im gonna try to find ways to keep temp lower, maybe by finding a way to modify my air control to further reduce air flow.
Thanks,

That is a lot of chimney. I suspect you are over drafting. Maybe quite a bit.

Still also suspicious of your thermometer though.

That is a lot of chimney. I suspect you are over drafting. Maybe quite a bit.

Still also suspicious of your thermometer though.
Well 30fts is my guess but two 8’ story + attic space + couple feets over the roof.
But it draft really well. I put a newpaper in the top part of the stove and draft pull it strong

What do you think about the burn in the video ? i reload, let air flow open a few minutes then close everything. I think im gonna check my rope door

Attachments

• 57015159255__57A574DB-D5C0-465A-85B8-939FF0B9DF58.MOV
    278.5 KB · Views: 8
thermometer accurate?

do you have a temp gun to confirm?

if not, set your oven for 500F and put your thermostat inside for a few minutes....does it read 500F?

What do you think about the burn in the video ? i reload, let air flow open a few minutes then close everything. I think im gonna check my rope door

To much air

The flame are not “lazy” and i dont see much secondary burn.

I did the dollar test this morning. Everything fine except a section of 6”. Do I have to replace the whole gasket or there’s some repair that I can do to this section ?

Latest posts

Back