Insert top at 900+F at slow burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md1486

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi guys,
I have an insert wood stove that Im used to since I burn 6-7 face cords per year. By curiosity I put a thermometer on top as you can see in the pics, it shows 900+F after 1hr burn and air flow all closed.
What can be wrong ? I thought that 400 to 650F was the normal for stove top temp. Thermometer is new.
Thanks

Attachments

• 68DD359A-61E4-4312-8BC5-2FDA58580037.jpeg
    68DD359A-61E4-4312-8BC5-2FDA58580037.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 47
  • D7C5797E-B47C-467A-AA8A-1E3AB903685C.jpeg
    D7C5797E-B47C-467A-AA8A-1E3AB903685C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
You may or may not have an issue.
You will need to dig deeper.
Temps are often measured as flue temperature 12" above stove top.

Yeah I know but since this is an insert this would be easier for me to see temp directly on stove top ,even with the “decorative panel ” on.
But i dont have any problem burning with this stove, that was more for fun. If this doesnt work this is not an issue for me

Check the manual for your insert. The manual for mine says to keep the top of the stove under 550°F.

I have burn hotter than this..there’s something wrong and I guess this is the thermometer, it is design for stove pipe, but I assumed that Magnet thermometer is all the same, whenever you put it on stove pipe or stove top, and that’s only the “recommended burning zone” written on it that would change. Maybe I was wrong

We can’t see it well, but now stove is only burning coals and it’s still at 600F

Attachments

• 6C473547-7DD7-4959-9899-F01949E85CC9.jpeg
    6C473547-7DD7-4959-9899-F01949E85CC9.jpeg
    991.2 KB · Views: 21
I've had times where I get a really dry load of wood and have to cover the air inlet because even with the air turned all the way down, the fire burns too hot for the stove.

If you can, try blocking off the air supply.

sent from a field

Is this a new problem or has it always ran hot? Maybe a air leak?

This is the first time that I monitor temperature so I dont really know. But as I can guess by looking at the fire, I burn at least that hot if not hotter than that and never had any problem. But I realize that I put my thermometer near a horizontal piece (as you can see in the first post), maybe that screwed temp. I moved the themometer on the stove im gonna see if that change something

@md1486 Here is a pic of where I have my STT measured. In the pic it shows a temp of about 650 degrees.
DSC03407.JPG
It was recommended I put it in the center front part of the stove top.

Sugar maple is nuclear! Gonna have to mix in some basswood or cottonwood :)

900 degrees is pretty hot. I suspect either the door gasket isn’t sealing or the damper isn’t closing It sounds like you basically have no draft control and it is burning wide open all the time.

900 degrees is pretty hot. I suspect either the door gasket isn’t sealing or the damper isn’t closing It sounds like you basically have no draft control and it is burning wide open all the time.

Well I dont think so. I have two air control on this stove, one from the bottom (on startup) and one from the top baffle (secondary). When I open air flow I get a raging fire. As I close air flow, i get slow moving flames with secondary combustion going on. So im pretty confident that my air control is working properly. This is only the temp number that seems way off

Well I dont think so. I have two air control on this stove, one from the bottom (on startup) and one from the top baffle (secondary). When I open air flow I get a raging fire. As I close air flow, i get slow moving flames with secondary combustion going on. This is only the temp number that seems way off
On my Lopi I only have one air control and that is on the bottom between the two blowers. The top lever that you see in the pic that is posted above is for the bypass. I close that when STT gets above 400 and cut down the primary air when it gets around 500-550.

Could this be this metal piece on top of the stove that could screw up temperature since it’s on the side of the thermometer ?(1st pic)
Since I lower the thermometer on the stove top I get around 600F ( 2nd pic)

Attachments

• E8EB7740-BF9E-4361-A0CF-C8DB017648AB.jpeg
    E8EB7740-BF9E-4361-A0CF-C8DB017648AB.jpeg
    742.2 KB · Views: 24
  • A3C7B743-4D5B-4227-A925-2FAD3DF9FBCC.jpeg
    A3C7B743-4D5B-4227-A925-2FAD3DF9FBCC.jpeg
    931.2 KB · Views: 26
Well I dont think so. I have two air control on this stove, one from the bottom (on startup) and one from the top baffle (secondary). When I open air flow I get a raging fire. As I close air flow, i get slow moving flames with secondary combustion going on. So im pretty confident that my air control is working properly. This is only the temp number that seems way off

900 degrees anywhere on the stove is too hot IMO and well into over fire territory. At 1000 degrees the steel will glow and could warp. It sounds like your dampers are working but if you have air leaks you have diminished draft control.
You should be able to pretty much snuff the fire with draft control. Over a period of say 20 minutes the temp should come down. If not then you don’t really have control of the burn.

Could this be this metal piece on top of the stove that could screw up temperature since it’s on the side of the thermometer ?(1st pic)
Since I lower the thermometer on the stove top I get around 600F ( 2nd pic)

Thermometers are very sensitive to placement for obvious reasons. The first location could have been throwing it off

Do yourself a favor, for some piece of mind get a good thermometer gun and start checking things over with the correct settings on the gun. You will learn a lot.

This is what i have. It even shows you the size of the spot it is reading based on the distance you are reading from.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-630-Thermometer-Non-contact/dp/B00K5QVBCU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back