if i burn pine do i have to sweep the chiminey after every fire or 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
if i burn real good dry seasoned pine logs
doi i have to sweep the chimney after 1 or 2 fires

No... hardwoods leave LESS creosote but not like they don't leave any, so I think a lot of people over-exaggerate the difference.

Also note that a cool, slow burning fires leave more deposits than hotter fires.

If you are burning a lot of pine, burn it hotter so the smoke gets out of the chimney faster.

Look up in the chimney (or get on the roof and look down through) periodically to see how much build up there is... It won't hurt to sweep it after every fire, but not necessary.

every 1 or 2 fires??? what type flue do you have, old tin cans?

over last 45 years likely burned 500 cords of alder, DF, cottonwood even, and maple in main fireplace.
Have never swept chimney.
Do have 6" wall poured concrete chimney with 7/8" thick flue, not direct over fire, has elbow into stack.
Creosote just flakes off and falls into cleanout pit.

Probably 40 cords thru cabin 6" flue pipe since 1980, never swept that either. Entire flue open ot continuous inspection, never had a fire in that flue.

Have had a fire in SS insulated flue on the barn stove, just let it burn the creosote off.
I have dampers accesibnle from outside the firebox on everything, any indication of flue fire, just close the damper and let it burn off slow.

Of course, it you DO hae a 'tin can' type flue, best to just have a gas fireplace only.

every 1 or 2 fires??? what type flue do you have, old tin cans?

over last 45 years likely burned 500 cords of alder, DF, cottonwood even, and maple in main fireplace.
Have never swept chimney.
Do have 6" wall poured concrete chimney with 7/8" thick flue, not direct over fire, has elbow into stack.
Creosote just flakes off and falls into cleanout pit.

Probably 40 cords thru cabin 6" flue pipe since 1980, never swept that either. Entire flue open ot continuous inspection, never had a fire in that flue.

Have had a fire in SS insulated flue on the barn stove, just let it burn the creosote off.
I have dampers accesibnle from outside the firebox on everything, any indication of flue fire, just close the damper and let it burn off slow.

Of course, it you DO hae a 'tin can' type flue, best to just have a gas fireplace only.
you never sweep the chimmney you never had a chimmney fire lucky as hell

I have never cleaned my chimney in over 40 years either. Now and then when I have a hot fire I can hear creosote flaking off the liner. When I work near the chimney I check it out, but find little to look at. many times it is grey not black. Yes some times I have seen black soot. When I have to be cleaning the thing all the time I will find a different program. Of course there are chemicals that oxidize the soot. Some people burn copper wire. It is a great light show if nothing else. I used to give Red Devil cleaner to certain customers, but too many did not need it. Thanks

Attachments

• rutland.jpg
    rutland.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 14
if i burn real good dry seasoned pine logs
doi i have to sweep the chimney after 1 or 2 fires

No.

Pine is no different from any other wood, as long as it is well seasoned. Most people from the Rockies westward burn softwood with no problems. I burn it too, as nobody around my area wants it. Around here, many people think I'll burn my house down with just a few pieces of pine in the stove. That's ok... More easy wood for me to scrounge!:baaa:

We have used dry spruce as our firewood for nearly 100 years. We clean the chimney once every autumn.
The chimney we have has only 1 'hole' and we have a cooking stove and 2 wood stoves connected to it.

During winter it gets really cold out here so we keep the fire going during the day. Most of the time it is slow burning fire. Not to mention that wood is our only heat source.

And after 100 years of burning with spruce/softwood it is still in really good shape.

I don't think that pine is 'worse' than spruce, they are fairly similar in every aspect.

I dont know y so many people think you can't burn pine. The only reason I'd turn down free pine is because it can be tough to split. Cool fires and unburned smoke make creosote not soft wood.

Rule of thumb is more flame less smoke= less crap in the chimney so have hot fires, and do not burn wet wood! Pine burns real nice just make sure it is dry!! It is the worst when it’s wet

Latest posts

Back