Pferd - Classic or Premium

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Didn't find the comparison in a search, but I gotta think it has been discussed!

Time to order new files (round). I like Pferd - have tested against others and they ended up on top. Having said that, I see they now have "Classic" and "Premium"

Here is what the Pferd catalog says:
PFERD offers two cut types. The “Classic line”
spiral cut is impressive, due to the high degree
of stock removal and aggressive sharpening
behaviour.

The finer spiral cut of the “Premium line”
provides increased stock removal, with a
smoother filing action

Here they are at Bailey's:
17078 Premium 7/32"

and the Classic

Bailey's description for the Premium reads: Smooth cut files provide a softer and gentler sharpening action which is appreciated by professional users who prefer less aggressive cutting properties.

Surely, they mean less aggressive cutting by the file...not the finished chain. Right? But the Pferd catalog talks says "increased stock removal"...

Experiences/Thoughts?

Not used these files myself but the descriptions seem to contradict each other.

And I am sure the Bailey's description means less aggressive cutting for the files

Not used these files myself but the descriptions seem to contradict each other.

And I am sure the Bailey's description means less aggressive cutting for the files
That contradiction is why I'm asking.

I'm assuming the Premium leaves a sharper chain??? Or is it just that it removes less metal so you get more life (# of times the chain is filled before no more tooth left) out of the chain???

If the chain sharpens equally well with either, I'd just use the Classic... I'm admittedly not great at hand sharpening - gotten much better over the years and very happy with my results when a chai just needs a touch up, but need to take it to the bench if it needs serious help or after a dozen or so hand filings. Not sure if that plays into the decision about the choice between the 2...

A few years ago I swore that the grinder was the answer, and the only answer. Since I feel that the grinder is an important tool to keep the chain in good condition (fixing rocked chains, consistent and accurate angles and even cutter lengths), but a proper size file does put the final touch on a chain, namely the gullet. I have a collection of files (sizes and brands), and honestly they all do the same thing on a clean chain using a good technique.

..... a proper size file does put the final touch on a chain, namely the gullet. I have a collection of files (sizes and brands), and honestly they all do the same thing on a clean chain using a good technique.
Agreed...but some do better than others. I played around quite a bit sharpening, switching chains/saws, resharpening while cutting the same logs and the Pferd came out on top so that is what I've been using. I'm sure I'm overthinking this and should just stick with the Classics...but if the Premium leave a sharper chain I'd do those. Just fishing for experiences with the 2

I prefer & get better results from Vallorbe & had good results from Save Edge but they are more difficult to source this side of the pond .The problem I find is that different batches are different quality less so with products actually produced by the actual makers

I prefer & get better results from Vallorbe & had good results from Save Edge but they are more difficult to source this side of the pond .The problem I find is that different batches are different quality less so with products actually produced by the actual makers
I just read that Save Edge discontinued their chain saw file line. Always thought they were the best.
Not sure who makes Stihl files, but they are a close second.

what was the result of your tests?
sorry...never came back with that. I prefer Classics. The Premium I think will, maybe, get you a little sharper, but they aren't as 'aggressive'. I'm not sure the extra strokes are worth it. I think the Premium are pretty similar to Stihl. I went through this with Stihl and Pferd several years ago and settled on the Pferd (Classic) then too.

sorry...never came back with that. I prefer Classics. The Premium I think will, maybe, get you a little sharper, but they aren't as 'aggressive'. I'm not sure the extra strokes are worth it. I think the Premium are pretty similar to Stihl. I went through this with Stihl and Pferd several years ago and settled on the Pferd (Classic) then too.
Thanks heaps for the reply

Latest posts

Back