Finally started CS milling, oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonesforbrains

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
7944038F-7471-4966-A737-1D68E1639139.jpeg
I know there are hundreds and thousands of people who have milled with their chainsaws and I know there are even more pictures and videos. I can’t help but be excited and want to share a pic. Cut a standing dead oak the other day and I actually got to mill it today. I really appreciate all the people who have shared their experience with milling with a chain saw, the information helped a lot!

Looks great buddy. No need for an explanation. Every one of us remember the first board we milled...

Looks great buddy. No need for an explanation. Every one of us remember the first board we milled...
I made a first mill cut a few weeks ago on some Bradford Pear, it was not good, set up was bad and the two cuts were really undulating. This was the first one that I actually got the set up right and made good even cuts. I knew that it had hollow cavities in it but it’s alright. The wood was pretty dry and I took my time and let the saw do the walking, was enjoyable. I’m sure my neighbors didn’t like the noise and I know my wife wasn’t thrilled about it but everybody will get over it!

Nice are u going to let it dry or use it right away with just some oil maybe? I’m doing some hand planning and sanding on a apple slab I milled yesterday and I’m planing on making it into a table and use it. Just no fancy coatings. Seal up the ends and let it dry while in use lol.

E7CFF908-A4D0-43AD-8A9A-A0BA7B0A9C6F.jpeg
Nice are u going to let it dry or use it right away with just some oil maybe? I’m doing some hand planning and sanding on a apple slab I milled yesterday and I’m planing on making it into a table and use it. Just no fancy coatings. Seal up the ends and let it dry while in use lol.
One on the right I used the hand power planer just to see how much work it takes to get the milling marks out. The one on the left still has the milling marks. I realized after I planed it that it needs some time to dry some even though it was a dead tree. Pretty fun stuff, glad the weathers good.

Latest posts

Back