Stihl MS170 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get a faster cutting chain, you'll like it better!!
Yeah. I forgot it had that chain on it when I got it and took that picture.

It got changed out before I ever used it. Still 16" 3/8"lp .050. I put something on it I got at the outlet store out of the package. Looks to be a 91PX. Needs a touch up.
20190519_173331~2.jpg
Works pretty good.
Might have a PM3 around here for it somewhere.

Isn’t the 170 under powered for 3/8” LP 050” ga saw chain?
Replace the carb with the ms210-ms250 carb! (WT-215) Which has H and L setting screws so you can tune it properly! ($10 bucks)
Then do a muffler mod so it can breath better and has more power!

My two 018's have rim sprocket drums, so I can change out from 3/8" to .325" or 1/4" for finer work. Have bars & few chains for each. The 018's do have the hi-low screw carbs, did my own exhaust mod with longer exhaust tract (read Jennings). They work well with any of these chains.

Had to get way from top handle saws, close coupled grips aggravated rotator cuff.

I purchased a new 170 4 years ago and from the shop switched to the .50 14” bar and chain. I purchased the comparable cheap carb to the walbro 215. Opened up the muffler after 4 tanks of fuel. I also added the aggressive aftermarket spikes from eBay. It will out work my father in laws 18” poulan pro and he just can’t understand how. He just judges a saw by the length of the bar though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put the 14”bar with the .050 chain on my new 170 like HT suggested! It runs it fine stock! (I’ll save the 16” .043 chain fer brush fence row cleaning)
I just got my wt-215 carbs in fer my fil’s 170 and I! Brass plugs popped out and extra hole is plugged! I’ll put that on when it cures! (I can tell it really needs to be able to be tuned right!! At WOT it’s two-stroking now! So when it hits wood it’ll pull’it lean!)
I just ordered the ms250 side chain tensioner for it and I’m gonna put some dog spikes on it!
I’ll do a mmod and tune it up tomorrow prolly!
I may attemp to do a timing advance on it! (Mainly fer the fun of learnin how)
I still have over 120 trees to cut up for firewood, that I want out of my field as soon as possible!
The trunks are prolly mostly 15”-18”! Some quite a bit larger!
Hickory, Beech, Wild Cherry, Red & White Oak and Hard Maple! (Sugar maple) (Mulberry)
But many have the limbs still on them, all the way down to about wrist size! So my ms170 will get its share of a work out, along with my two ms250’s!
(I might try to do a timing advance on one of my 250’s just to compare them)

Latest posts

Back