Most reliable Stihl chainsaw of all time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestryfun

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently went to the local Stihl dealer (also a tool rental company) and asked them what their most reliable saw was. To my amazement, they claimed that MS170 was far more reliable than any of their professional saws (the most popular of which is the MS261). Apparently even though their MS170s and MS261s have seen similar use on the rental side of things, they've had to repair and replace many MS261s and have had to do nothing to the MS170s. To be honest this kind of blew my mind.

It got me thinking, is the MS170 really the most reliable saw they currently manufacture? And furthermore, are there any saws that, back in the day, were even more reliable than this saw? Would love to hear your opinions!

Probably most who rent 170's use less then a tank of gas on small branches vs. 261 users cutting hours of reasonably big tree trunks and not maintaining the saw properly, possibly straight gassing them on occasion.
I have been around , owned, used and serviced hundreds of chainsaws and have saw few reliability issues with any Stihl models. The issue is usually the operator errors. I pushed a couple 034 supers long and hard, straight gassed both accidently, run them til the piston seized and was able to break them loose and still use them with what felt a very slight power loss. The 1st 1 was about 2 or3 years old when it seized and I run it about 7 more my only or primary saw most the time i owned it and sold it in good working condition. I expect i averaged cutting the equivalent of 20 full 16inch firewood cords a year with it
Still using the 2nd 1 I straight gassed. I filled it 2 times with straight gas before it locked up. I expect it had a quarter tank of 28 to 1 mix when i filled it the first round of straight and didn't notice a thing wrong until i made a few fair size cuts the second tank fill and it quit. Revived it wth some lube and rocking the crank shaft. Idle is a little inconsistent from cold to warmed up since, but it stabilizes after warmed and has good power.
I can't imagine the 170's doing close although I have had 025's work long and hard minus the straight gassing still cutting strong after 10ish years.

I would say it's the 170 for me, too. I've owned a few chainsaws by now, but generally speaking, the 170 is the first chainsaw I reach for when I need something reliable and efficient. Of course, it would still depend on the job

170's must be more reliable than my 180. After numerous carburetor problems, I gave up and replaced it with a 261C. My 034 has been the most reliable saw I have ever owned, bought new in 1991 and still cutting wood with only sparkplug and spur gear sprocket changes.

Just some better chainsaws from experience.
Lots of sorry ones (chainsaws) out in the world today.
My 034 has been the most reliable saw I have ever owned,
I've got some old 028's, one is probably 30+ years old, very reliable. Only re-built the carb once on the old 028 and it was due to long term storage without getting any exercise.
I brought a freebie donor 034 back to life few years ago that previous owner was throwing out. I noticed it setting by metal trash dumpster. I got it for parts, owner said weak compression. It had a cracked dried out pulse tube in behind the carb. No parts needed just snipped off the end of the pulse hose and re-installed and no other parts needed at all. It had new chain.
Very aggressive strong saw and very reliable.

For a good small saw that is reliable. I have a surprise one. Little green POULAN S25CVA's. I have two, one has electronic ignition. These saws were made by Poulan back when Poulan made good saws..
The old Homelite EZ are good saws but require little bit of TLC

Seems to me that gong term storage with no exercise especially if stored in a building that gets really hot in summertime seems to be what causes most chainsaw running issues.

I've got a 250 that's been good for 20 years but has been acting up lately probably going to replace it with something smaller soon. My 362 has been flawless for 13 years and my 500i has been flawless for a couple months. Wish Stihl had a nice 40 cc class pro saw may have to buy a husky for the first time.

My vote is for the 028`s, they are as tough as a battle tank. The homeowners had more of them than most any Stihl chainsaw in their day and there is nothing worse than a regular homeowner that only needs a saw 3 -5 hours a year.Neglect ran rampant and those 028`s would chug to life each year to cut a random downed tree and usually a couple cords of firewood. They never seen any service til they quit cold and would come in with the airfilter plastered shut with old sticky oil and sawdust , most had no flocking left, the gas in the tanks was putrid, fuel lines melted into goo and fuel filters loose rattling around in the tank. With some cleanup, new lines and filter they went back out and ran again until they stopped starting. I have seen the same saws come back after 3-5 years in the same horrible condition just to be serviced over and over but the rest of the saw was super well built and with just a bit of care they would start and run every year. I have many of them that are still reliable starter/runners, kept cleaned and regular fuel serviced bits they continue to do duty when called upon. These days I have a stable full of 026`s and a few MS260`s, they were the replacements for the 028`s, ,they rev a bit higher and in some circumstances cut faster, weigh a bit less and are more ergonomic, fine saws in their own right. I see just as many of the 026`s neglected as the 028`s , they are also very reliable if just a bit of care is spent on fuel related parts, the carbs on any make of chainsaw suffers these days due to crappy fuel/gasoline additives so draining fuel and running carbs dry ,then adding canned fuel and start them up, let it fill the lines and carb if the saw is going to sit unused for months on end. The homeowner series of 170 and 180`s are just what they are intended for, occasional use and often discarded after not being cared for after several years but they can run very well if used frequently, fresh fuel used and of course proper fuel mix is used.

We ran ms180s as truck saws at the township. Can't say they ever really needed much of anything. Underpowered for sure, but they cut whatever we needed them to.
Personally, (and I hate to admit this.) Strictly stihl my granpas 031 has never had more then a carb kit put in it. He bought it new, did firewood duty till he got too old to use it, then dad got it did fire wood duty for dad and grandpa. Dad handed it off to me. I don't like running it, heavy and underpowered imo. But it did at least 10 cord a year for grandpa and then closer to 15-20 a year when dad took it over between both their houses. I'd bet I could pit some mix and oil in it and it would fire up and cut wood again.

I’ve had a 170 go everywhere and not die, get chucked in the box of the truck, front of the quad, literally anywhere. Went mud bogging last summer and got it drenched in mud then had to cut trees to make a bridge through a mud hole and kept going. Best little saw ever. I also have my old man’s ms230 that’s been run hard it’s whole life and the worst I’ve had to fix on it is fuel lines and a carb kit a few years ago, finally it’s ending up needing crank seals but it’s has 20 years of being used hard on a farm and still kicking. Clamshell saws might not have the power of a big saw but they sure last.

I've got a 250 that's been good for 20 years but has been acting up lately probably going to replace it with something smaller soon. My 362 has been flawless for 13 years and my 500i has been flawless for a couple months. Wish Stihl had a nice 40 cc class pro saw may have to buy a husky for the first time.
The 241 was a wicked nice light saw, too bad Stihl discontinued them over here in NA. Still available on the other side of the big pond they tell me.

I've seen a lot of 170s mentioned here and I definitely agree. Relatively, I'm a beginner, but I've tried several saws from different brands (even the expensive and pro ones), but nothing beats the 170 when it comes to convenience and durability, at least for me.

For me, I got my first Stihl in 1993, it was a used 039, well treated saw that had become a little big for the gentleman that had it. Did the math the other day, it has cut about 485 8ft pickup truck loads of hardwood over the last 30 years. Normal things like sprockets, spark plug replaced. Since the saw inventory has grown it doesn’t see as much action but would start and run with no problem, if it was pulled off the shelf.

The 241 was a wicked nice light saw, too bad Stihl discontinued them over here in NA. Still available on the other side of the big pond they tell me.
Stihl wood have (and stihl be) selling the 241 here if they wouldn't have been so greedy on the price. I think $100 less on price and lots more people would've bought them. I need to dust mine off and run it.

Stihl wood have (and stihl be) selling the 241 here if they wouldn't have been so greedy on the price. I think $100 less on price and lots more people would've bought them. I need to dust mine off and run it.
Yes they were greedy and the price was so close to the very popular 261 that the sales numbers did not just catch on and become a best seller. For a lightweight PRO saw it would have been more popular if it could have been sold for a bit less but they are built on a full metal chassis and well worth the selling price AFAIC.

Now it looks like the only thing smaller then a 261 is the 201 but 850 for a 35cc saw is a bit much when a similar husky is over 200 less.

I also vote for the 028 Super for all the reasons PioneerGuy said in post #8. I have no idea why this saw was discontinued. It was a big brother to the 026 and the Super even had more grunt than the 026 Pro, and was quite capable of pulling a 20" bar. I bought four of these saws at one time or another and sold three to very satisfied owners who still use them today. They all specified an 18" bar.

It could be that Stihl pushed the cheaper 290 because the 028 was a professional saw, not a residential or commercial. Back when the 028 was being sold new, $130 more than the 290 was a lot of money. So, the 028 was discontinued and only diehards like PioneerGuy and I still appreciate the quality that went into it. Mine runs today and will almost stay even with my 361. Both weigh about the same, but there is something about running that 028 ... well, you know what I mean. :)

I also vote for the 028 Super for all the reasons PioneerGuy said in post #8. I have no idea why this saw was discontinued. It was a big brother to the 026 and the Super even had more grunt than the 026 Pro, and was quite capable of pulling a 20" bar. I bought four of these saws at one time or another and sold three to very satisfied owners who still use them today. They all specified an 18" bar.

It could be that Stihl pushed the cheaper 290 because the 028 was a professional saw, not a residential or commercial. Back when the 028 was being sold new, $130 more than the 290 was a lot of money. So, the 028 was discontinued and only diehards like PioneerGuy and I still appreciate the quality that went into it. Mine runs today and will almost stay even with my 361. Both weigh about the same, but there is something about running that 028 ... well, you know what I mean. :)
A ported 028 Super is a nice saw to run. I sold a couple & always missed them. This one is staying.

IMG_0290.jpeg

Latest posts

Back