Sharpening Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjpaq

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Stihl MS170 and a Husq 445. I need / want to start sharpening my own chains. When I was a teenager (now 60), my father had a pioneer of some sort and a jig he used to sharpen his chains. The jig sat on the chain and provided a support for a round file to sharpen the chain. It had a physical guide for a round file that provided the correct angle to run the file across. The jig also had a spot for a flat file to bring down the rakers. My father would bring down the rakers each time he sharpened.

1. Where can I get such a jig?
  2. What size round file do I need for my MS170?
  3. What size round file do I need for my Husq 445?
  4. Any hints for sharpening?

Thank you in advance.

The quickest and easiest jig for me is the Pferd 2 in 1. It files the cutters and the depth guages at the same time. Your 445 should be .325 chain and use 3/16 files. Your 170 I'm guessing is 3/8 lp chain and uses a 5/32 file.
Need to check. The 170 comes with .043" gauge PiccoMicro which may or may not be the same kit as the straight Picco (3/8" LP). Confused yet?

Hello, I have a Stihl MS170 and a Husq 445. I need / want to start sharpening my own chains. When I was a teenager (now 60), my father had a pioneer of some sort and a jig he used to sharpen his chains. The jig sat on the chain and provided a support for a round file to sharpen the chain. It had a physical guide for a round file that provided the correct angle to run the file across. The jig also had a spot for a flat file to bring down the rakers. My father would bring down the rakers each time he sharpened.

4. Any hints for
I use a Granberg file and joint I got from Bailey's, maybe not the best but it works fine for me

4. Any hints for sharpening?

Thank you in advance.
Sounds like you are describing a similar tool to this one, the Timberline.

https://timberlinesharpener.com/

Thanks for the replies so far. Ammoaddict suggested the husqy 445 (.325 chain) should use a 3/16 file. I went through the files in my shop and found a 15/64 which appears to fit the husqy .325 chain. Can anybody confirm this?

15/32 is a bit big for .325
3/16, and then drop to a 11/64 when the cutter is shorter.
Jeez, regular 3/8 chain uses a 7/32 file!

I had those "jig"s. they worked but were fiddly to setup. I went to grinders of various forms soon.
But learned how to (more or less) hand file a chain to where it would cut reasonably well.

Many years ago, I had a Ganim (sic) which Timberline is a modern copy of and gave it away to a friend about a year ago. They work ok but you still have to flat file the depth gages. I prefer grinding chains myself with CBN wheels. Have 2 Oregon (Tecomec) chain grinders. One for setting the cutters, the other for setting the depth gages.

For those new to sharpening chain, I suggest: (1) learning to sharpen with the bar clamped in a bench vise (with the powerhead still attached), and (2) the Oregon-style file guide.

Eventually, you may grow out of these two suggestions, but...

For multi-chain-size users:

https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Chain...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
Last: the correct file size is listed on the box the chain came in. Not a bad idea, for occassional users, to save their boxes.

Roy

I know some of yous don't like buckin billy ray, but he does an excellent job of teaching freehand sharpening in some of his videos. I honestly don't know what all the confusion is about, as it's a pretty simple task freehand, no guide, no vice, no anything other than a couple of files and a one tooth raker gauge (occasionally). If you're careful you can touch-up a chain even with the wrong size file although that's not ideal.

I advise to get away from the crutches and learn to use a file.

I'm not expert at freehand filing, yet my chains are almost always smooth and draw themselves into the cut throwing chips. Anything attached to the file just messes me up and frustrates me. I can do a much better job without those guide contraptions.

So can you..

For those new to sharpening chain, I suggest: (1) learning to sharpen with the bar clamped in a bench vise (with the powerhead still attached), and (2) the Oregon-style file guide.
There's no shame in using a guide and, in my opinion, the Oregon is "as simple as possible, but no simpler." I've been doing exactly this for as long as I can remember -- bar in a vise and Oregon guide.

Back