I FINALLY got my FG2!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got my Stihl FG2 benchtop file guide. It is a crazy accurate jig and will help me make my round-filing game better! I will be using this unit to help me start my chainsaw sharpening services.

It is super heavy, almost 100% metal, and made in Germany. It cost me $140 when I ordered it from Gustharts in late October.

The unit can be flipped around to sharpen the different cutters. After some play when switching to different pitches and gauges, it files like BUTTER!!

Here are some photos and a BoobTube video:

20231211_175056.jpg20231211_175101.jpg20231211_175047.jpg20231211_175038.jpg

Is the one you briefly hold up in the video the same as the FG3 at that Gustharts place? I see the price for the FG2 is now 169.37 plus I would expect shipping.

I notice a FG4 roller guide that is quite different to the Husky roller guides and does not state if it is pitch specific. There is a genuine Stihl video of it in action that I found on youtube 2 1/2 minutes long.

https://www.gustharts.com/consumabl...uides-c159/stihl-fg-4-roller-filing-tool-p646The one this thread is about will have the issue of the file deflecting with force pushing into the surface being filed. The roller guides support the file real close to the point of contact. Well the husky filing guide supports the file so the 20% above cutter top plate is achieved.

Is the one you briefly hold up in the video the same as the FG3 at that Gustharts place? I see the price for the FG2 is now 169.37 plus I would expect shipping.

I notice a FG4 roller guide that is quite different to the Husky roller guides and does not state if it is pitch specific. There is a genuine Stihl video of it in action that I found on youtube 2 1/2 minutes long.

https://www.gustharts.com/consumabl...uides-c159/stihl-fg-4-roller-filing-tool-p646The one this thread is about will have the issue of the file deflecting with force pushing into the surface being filed. The roller guides support the file real close to the point of contact. Well the husky filing guide supports the file so the 20% above cutter top plate is achieved.

Yes, the orange one in the video tis the FG1. It s the same as the FG3 but less heavy-duty due to it being made of more plastic and less quality metal. I also have an FF1 for my .325 pitch saws.

Anyone have a better reason?
Stihl USA is out to lunch on a variety of things - inexplicable why they don't sell 63PMX lo pro ripping chain in the US either. Not limited to them, though. Often it's not intentional or an actual decision not to sell it - just corporate cluelessness or disinterest in what their company offers elsewhere. Logosol Europe has a lot more to offer than Logosol USA. I was inquiring about a line of GB bars I wanted to sell that no one sells in the US - thought there might be a reason but no, they put me in touch with a US distributor who can get them for me from GB, just no one else has ever asked for them. It's worse when there's a US division of a foreign company - Logosol, Stihl - because you can only get what the USA division offers. When there are just US distributors of foreign companies, like GB, you can usually get anything you want that they make.

Latest posts

Back