I FINALLY finished my shop!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally finished building my shop after a week of working on it late daily after school. It was too dark to do exterior photos so I took a bunch of photos of the interior. I managed to get this built for $1300 and did most of it by myself with my dad's help on some of the big stuff such as the heavy and wet floor joists.

20231105_135617.jpg

I have all of my tools in one place and I love the little Stealth Mounts

Here is my YouTube video showing a little tour:

Here are the photos:

20231110_192956.jpg20231110_193000.jpg20231110_193003.jpg20231110_193005.jpg20231110_193008.jpg20231110_193011.jpg20231110_193014.jpg20231110_193017.jpg20231110_193019.jpg

It is a nice space for me to do projects and saw maintenance. It 100% beats dragging L-Boxxes in and out of my room all of the time and carrying saws in and out of the house.

The total build cost was about $1300.

That vise needs a different place. That'll get in the way more times than you'll like.

And now that you've told everyone you have a shed with about $5K of tools in it (think crackheads), get a better door and lock for the place and invest in a little security camera inside pointed at the door, one that sends the image immediately by wifi or cell.

good luck!

Your 'fatal' mistake is, the corrugated metal roof with no vapor barrier under it. You will get condensation dripping on everything whether it's heated or not. Just you being in there will cause a temperature differential and condensation and dripping..... and rust. Not seeing the rest of the area, if you have air movement via say an exhaust fan, that will mitigate it to some extent but won't eliminate it.

That vise is gonna give you some bruises when you knock into it.

That vise needs a different place. That'll get in the way more times than you'll like.

And now that you've told everyone you have a shed with about $5K of tools in it (think crackheads), get a better door and lock for the place and invest in a little security camera inside pointed at the door, one that sends the image immediately by wifi or cell.

good luck!
That's exactly why I didn't show the outside. Although that I trust most of the people on this website, the image could still end up being viewed by the wrong person. I have invested in a very good lock.

good luck!
Where do you suggest that I move the vice? I also deleted the YouTube video upon realizing the potential for someone to see it.

Locks don't mean squat. All that takes is a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel and about 10 seconds and it's defeated. I never lock my machine shop nor do lock the big barns or the house but then we live in certified 'Flyover Country' where people have respect for other's property. I do let it be known that I'm a firearm nut and always have at least one handgun in easy reach (or my derringer in my pocket, loaded). Probably not a good idea for you for a couple reasons, mainly you are too young to have a legal firearm and secondly, where you live is not at all firearm friendly.

It looks good but as noted by others the roof will be a major issue. If you had sheeted it first then put the tin on it would have been much better. Also I hoped you ran two 20 amp circuits to it. It looks like it is 41F in Fairfax now at 9:35AM. You will need heat in there and being a small confined space best option is electric. You will need a dedicated circuit for that. Also that would allow for a small 110v air conditioner in the summer. If you were here I would give you two of them along with a 1500 watt heater.

Locks don't mean squat. All that takes is a cordless grinder with a cut off wheel and about 10 seconds and it's defeated. I never lock my machine shop nor do lock the big barns or the house but then we live in certified 'Flyover Country' where people have respect for other's property. I do let it be known that I'm a firearm nut and always have at least one handgun in easy reach (or my derringer in my pocket, loaded). Probably not a good idea for you for a couple reasons, mainly you are too young to have a legal firearm and secondly, where you live is not at all firearm friendly.
I will be putting a small camera in once I can get the electrician to come out.

Where do you suggest that I move the vice?
Away from the middle of the corner. Eventually donate it when you get a better vise.
Start looking locally for a Wilton machinists bullet vise. No matter what else you've got in your shop, without a Wilton bullet vise your shop wiil not be complete. Take your time and research your choices within driving distance. 20231111_124255.jpg20231111_124241.jpg

The young man is 14-15 year's old and in my opinion does not need to spend $300-$500 on a vise. That money is much better spent on other tools at his age.
I agree......
But Bill a bullet vise is cool!
I should have been more exact in my reply by saying while not an immediate need its never to early to be looking and learning about a good vise.

There is no doubt quality tools are nice and great to pick up at good prices. When it comes to vises I always get a chuckle at the guys that made fun of me for buying an old Bridgeport mill vise for $40. They said why do you want that old piece of crap get a Kurt.

I finally finished building my shop after a week of working on it late daily after school. It was too dark to do exterior photos so I took a bunch of photos of the interior. I managed to get this built for $1300 and did most of it by myself with my dad's help on some of the big stuff such as the heavy and wet floor joists.

View attachment 1126825

I have all of my tools in one place and I love the little Stealth Mounts

Here is my YouTube video showing a little tour:

Here are the photos:

View attachment 1126826View attachment 1126827View attachment 1126828View attachment 1126829View attachment 1126830View attachment 1126831View attachment 1126832View attachment 1126833View attachment 1126834

It is a nice space for me to do projects and saw maintenance. It 100% beats dragging L-Boxxes in and out of my room all of the time and carrying saws in and out of the house.

The total build cost was about $1300.

great!

Latest posts

Back