Building with green lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work too much with those who CLAIM "no speaka no engla" We hired one (24 year old) that started the Wednesday after Memorial Day. He had no clue what holiday we had just had. After about a week they wanted me to train him on a new position. I was explaining it to him and he said "you have to explain in in Spanish" I stared at him and said "son you are in Iowa and we speak English" The kid has probably never seen Mexico as he was born and raised in California. He muddled through the next couple weeks coming in smelling like a skunk from all the weed he just smoked. The Monday after Father's Day he no call/no showed. I think he missed another day that week. The week before the 4th he no showed twice including Friday which cost him two days of holiday pay. We shut down for the week of the 4th and when we came back after he was supposed to fired but showed up. They let him work, the fired him on payday.

In the 70's I was framing houses, and back then a lot of the lower end houses were built with green lumber in the walls. Code allowed it, although kiln dried lumber was required for roof framing. Green wood shrinks across the grain quite a bit which will lead to splits in wider boards with two fasteners as the wood can't move as it shrinks. If it is attached to wood that is also shrinking everything shrinks together and it's OK. If it is exposed to air on one side and not on the other it is going to cup. Plain sawn lumber will cup on its own but it can be worse with the differential drying, like you will get in your siding.
I found this illustration to help visualize what's happening.1691336632985.png

The problem with timber framing is the massive use of lumber

How so? The center is used as timbers. In stick framing this is discards/pallet.

I know how to read/open up logs, trained at a mill.

Take off the outers, cut grade, then save center for timbers.

A timber frame will last centuries given a foundation and a roof.

I would love to see a board foot calculation on a 40x80 Timber framed barn all open, no lofts.

Another issue we're having is that we're attracting a lot of these beetles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondylis_buprestoides . So far we capture them every day and bring them to another woody area that's away from our place.. But we fear they have layed their eggs in our fresh wood. Any knowledge or tips about dealing with them and their eggs in the wood?
To keep beetles away from your trees, consider using tree service-recommended insecticides or consult a tree expert for pest control strategies.

Latest posts

Back