I FINALLY finished my shop!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$15 to add joist hangers, nails included
your floor joists aren't supported from below so you should have hangers, if they were supported by something such as a sill plate you could get away with just using 3x16D nails in each end, however having 2 lag screws will guarantee the joist split in the very near future
1700928172872.png

$15 to add joist hangers, nails included
your floor joists aren't supported from below so you should have hangers, if they were supported by something such as a sill plate you could get away with just using 3x16D nails in each end, however having 2 lag screws will guarantee the joist split in the very near future
View attachment 1130447
Once I get my air compressor up and running I will borrow my dad's nailer and put some of these hangers up. I may even buy one of my own when Makita finally makes one...

Well, I’ve seen a lot of contractors do some pretty questionable **** (and outright violations)… like end nailing unsupported joists…
It is amazing what some will do and what some inspectors approve. In March 2017 we had a tornado hit one of our rental house. It was a 1.5 story house and was probably built around 1920. The tornado took about 1/4 the sheeting of the roof leaving rafters exposed. It lifted the entire roof a bit and dropped it. There were some cracked rafters and broken tails. I had a guy that had done jobs for me in the past come take a look. After he looked at it and we discussed options he wanted to get a building inspector out to get their opinion. I was in full agreement. Well Greg and I were waiting on the inspector when a kid that was barely 20 pulled up. I thought aw crap! We went upstairs and showed him the cracked rafters and busted tails. These were full 2x4 rough sawn rafters. The kid says "oh those will be fine, you can just sister next to them with some new 2x4's" Greg and I look at each other in amazement and chuckle.

Do you think that I can still use screws for the box built around the joists?
since they are already in there id leave them, but for next time I would use nails only despite screws sounding better, nails are much, much tougher in the long run
put hangers in, then atleast if the joists do split where the screws are they wont fall, itll be fineeeee

since they are already in there id leave them, but for next time I would use nails only despite screws sounding better, nails are much, much tougher in the long run
put hangers in, then atleast if the joists do split where the screws are they wont fall, itll be fineeeee
He did say he used spax powerlag screws which are a structural screw which should be adequate for this application. I haven't had a screw fail me yet. They do make structural screws for joist hangers too which i like better then nails.

For his shed, if the plywood floor overlaps the floor joists and the rim joists they are tied together.

His Dad is a contractor; I’m sure that it is fine.

Philbert
Exactly. I was unhappy when I discovered that in one section of our first floor the floor joists are not tied into the center carrying beam with joist hangers. I added hangers in a couple places where the joists are heavily loaded. But the rest of the joists, despite separating horizontally from the beam by about 3/8", have not sagged.. Obviously the plywood subfloor and all the fasteners of the finish floor that go thru the subfloor into the joists are tying it all together.

I agree that not using joist hangers is false economy (I bet those spax screws cost more than hangers), but it ain't the end of life as we know it. It wouldn't hurt to put some extra fasteners thru the plywood into the joists near the rim joist to prevent sagging.

It is amazing what some will do and what some inspectors approve. In March 2017 we had a tornado hit one of our rental house. It was a 1.5 story house and was probably built around 1920. The tornado took about 1/4 the sheeting of the roof leaving rafters exposed. It lifted the entire roof a bit and dropped it. There were some cracked rafters and broken tails. I had a guy that had done jobs for me in the past come take a look. After he looked at it and we discussed options he wanted to get a building inspector out to get their opinion. I was in full agreement. Well Greg and I were waiting on the inspector when a kid that was barely 20 pulled up. I thought aw crap! We went upstairs and showed him the cracked rafters and busted tails. These were full 2x4 rough sawn rafters. The kid says "oh those will be fine, you can just sister next to them with some new 2x4's" Greg and I look at each other in amazement and chuckle.
And probably college educated. They seem to have little to no common sense. jmho :cool: OT

My shop is never finished. Well the shop proper is but machine wise, it never is and to that end, I'm adding a 3 axis CNC plasma table.

Already have the plasma cutter as well as the laptop computer to drive it. Need to get the table delivered and then comes the learning curve.

Gonna have to add another overhead crane with a magnetic hoist attachment to load plate into it. Once I have it and learn to use it, that will be 2 numerical controlled machine tools I own and yes, I already am quoting cut jobs for it in hot rolled as well as aluminum and I'd like to cut stainless as well but cutting stainless especially requires an efficient exhaust system. Stainless produces heath hazardous by products when cutting. Need to get my electrician out and have another 220-1 50 amp outlet hard wired in as well as another compressed air outlet that I'll plumb myself. Just quoted a job for Kubota tractor in hot rolled 1/4" plate. Hope I get it, it's really an easy job to cut with little to no extra finishing required and no ancillary welding either. Just a quick grind of cut parts with a flap wheel and good to go.

I do own an air handler but I have had no reason to hook it up until now. It's a pretty large commercial unit and will need a poured concrete base as well as all the venting from the table installed so I suspect I'll also need a competent tin knocker. My only concern is makeup air and the cost to heat (and cool it) to keep the shop air temp and humidity constant, that could be a huge expense up here in the north during the winter months. RH isn't a big issue in the summer as I have a commercial dehumidifier already running and it holds the RH right at 50% no matter how humid it gets here in the summer. That and stable temperature which is of utmost importance for high tolerance machine tools, plus high RH promotes corrosion (rust) and I cannot have any of that.

Interesting. Had the entire roof blow off my big equipment storage barn and I turned it into my insurance company to get compensated (minus my 1000 buck all perils deductible) but in reality (and I didn't argue), being an act of nature according to my policy, that has NO deductible but they levied it anyway and I wasn't going to argue. The issue was, they were very lax in paying the claim. In fact so lax that I had to pay for the roof work out of my own pocket and then wait for them to reimburse me. I had the money but it's not supposed to work that way. Needless to say I'm looking to insure with another carrier.

For me, a grand is chump change anyway but it's the principle of it that irks me and they are about to get cancelled. Here in Michigan at least, by state law, any working farm can have any amount of claims in any time frame and not get cancelled. That comes under Right to Farm. if you are an individual, your carrier can cancel you with no notice if, you have 3 claims in any 6 month period and I know someone that that exact thing happened to and they had to get high risk insurance which costs an insane amount up here.

Insurance is only good when you don't need it and if you do, be prepared to be unhappy with the insurance company as they drag their feet.

My shop is never finished. Well the shop proper is but machine wise, it never is and to that end, I'm adding a 3 axis CNC plasma table.

Already have the plasma cutter as well as the laptop computer to drive it. Need to get the table delivered and then comes the learning curve.

Gonna have to add another overhead crane with a magnetic hoist attachment to load plate into it. Once I have it and learn to use it, that will be 2 numerical controlled machine tools I own and yes, I already am quoting cut jobs for it in hot rolled as well as aluminum and I'd like to cut stainless as well but cutting stainless especially requires an efficient exhaust system. Stainless produces heath hazardous by products when cutting. Need to get my electrician out and have another 220-1 50 amp outlet hard wired in as well as another compressed air outlet that I'll plumb myself. Just quoted a job for Kubota tractor in hot rolled 1/4" plate. Hope I get it, it's really an easy job to cut with little to no extra finishing required and no ancillary welding either. Just a quick grind of cut parts with a flap wheel and good to go.

I do own an air handler but I have had no reason to hook it up until now. It's a pretty large commercial unit and will need a poured concrete base as well as all the venting from the table installed so I suspect I'll also need a competent tin knocker. My only concern is makeup air and the cost to heat (and cool it) to keep the shop air temp and humidity constant, that could be a huge expense up here in the north during the winter months. RH isn't a big issue in the summer as I have a commercial dehumidifier already running and it holds the RH right at 50% no matter how humid it gets here in the summer. That and stable temperature which is of utmost importance for high tolerance machine tools, plus high RH promotes corrosion (rust) and I cannot have any of that.
Good luck with the overhead crane gantry with the magnetic hoist used on stainless. (just kidding). End clamps with eye hooks will suffice.
Be sure to visit your local scrap yard for learning material. Learning curve can be long and expensive.
In my old shop, many many years ago, I used an old single bar meat rail for my overhead gantry. Four different rails leading to different parts of the shop for different jobs with four different switch points. Similar to what is used on a railroad track. Much better methods available today.-
1701093893960.pngSimilar to what I used in the 70s. Was able to purchase 300+ feet and switches for less than $200
Those days are gone forever. jmho :cool: OT

Interesting. Had the entire roof blow off my big equipment storage barn and I turned it into my insurance company to get compensated (minus my 1000 buck all perils deductible) but in reality (and I didn't argue), being an act of nature according to my policy, that has NO deductible but they levied it anyway and I wasn't going to argue. The issue was, they were very lax in paying the claim. In fact so lax that I had to pay for the roof work out of my own pocket and then wait for them to reimburse me. I had the money but it's not supposed to work that way. Needless to say I'm looking to insure with another carrier.

For me, a grand is chump change anyway but it's the principle of it that irks me and they are about to get cancelled. Here in Michigan at least, by state law, any working farm can have any amount of claims in any time frame and not get cancelled. That comes under Right to Farm. if you are an individual, your carrier can cancel you with no notice if, you have 3 claims in any 6 month period and I know someone that that exact thing happened to and they had to get high risk insurance which costs an insane amount up here.

Insurance is only good when you don't need it and if you do, be prepared to be unhappy with the insurance company as they drag their feet.
I cannot speak to any law here regarding the number of claims. I know that the house mentioned above was hit by the tornado in March 2017. In early June 2017 I was working at the house when I got a text from my son during the American Degree dinner at the State FFA convention. He said his buddy on the fire department texted saying they were headed to another of our places on a fire call. When I got there the large chicken building was a total loss. It seems the dipstick renters were burning trash and let it get away. That was two major claims in just under 4 months. Needless to say rates went UP!

Latest posts

Back