I FINALLY finished my shop!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The talk about security reminds me.......................

If your hasp and lock are on the outside of the shed door, make sure someone can't lock it on you while you're inside and trap you, either. Outside hasp and padlock is fine for a storage shed you won't be spending time in, but strongly suggest a standard door knob and strike plate for anywhere meant for occupancy. Or at least make sure the door is flimsy enough you can kick it down from inside, if needed.
That reminds me of the time my sister in-law locked my wife in the chicken house. When it came super time everyone wondered where she was.

Pleased to see you have abunch of nice comments now on your thread. Makes my head shake all the recommendations of how you should have done this or that when most of these suggestions or judgements added multiple times to the total cost of your shop. Pretty easy to tell someone that they should not have a Chevy or Ford car they should be driving a ferrari superfast when the one posting might actually only have a bus pass. Reading this thread makes me wonder how much of the advice that has been given is based on jealousy. I would be proud to have built your shop like yours for myself. A few things to think about as well if there was a brand new corvette sitting on the street with the windows down and the keys in the car and right beside it there was a 5 year old gmc work truck with the windows down keys in it which one would get stolen first? Then if a pit bull is sleeping on the seat of the truck. Many times the flashy thing gets taken first. You have a wonderful shop that is not over the top you have a work truck not a corvette. The other thing not to forget is work trucks can do things that a corvette cannot do. As far as the roof goes almost every grain bin in this country is made of steel and it is not lined. A 100000 dollars worth fits into not that large of bin. Do you think that a farmer would put that kind of money into something that would rain inside so the grain would spoil? People will say that's why they have fans etc on them well that is if the grain goes in wet. There are millions of all steel buildings right across North America that are unlined and they do nor rain inside if they did the farmer would save his money and just leave his stuff outside. Don't forget you worked saved used your head and worked. Keep that up and you will have a wonderful life not wanting for anything. It shocks me all the advice that tells you you should have this or that and almost all of that advice would add multiples to what the total cost of your shop is. It would be interesting to see what the person has on the otherside of the keyboard. To me it reads like there is shock and jealousy running rampant here as you have more as a young fellow than the old men do. If you did all the big money mods and posted again the advice would be to spend thousands more it is always easier to spend someone else's money. You did good kid! Don't listen to a bunch of bull.

Pleased to see you have abunch of nice comments now on your thread. Makes my head shake all the recommendations of how you should have done this or that when most of these suggestions or judgements added multiple times to the total cost of your shop. Pretty easy to tell someone that they should not have a Chevy or Ford car they should be driving a ferrari superfast when the one posting might actually only have a bus pass. Reading this thread makes me wonder how much of the advice that has been given is based on jealousy. I would be proud to have built your shop like yours for myself. A few things to think about as well if there was a brand new corvette sitting on the street with the windows down and the keys in the car and right beside it there was a 5 year old gmc work truck with the windows down keys in it which one would get stolen first? Then if a pit bull is sleeping on the seat of the truck. Many times the flashy thing gets taken first. You have a wonderful shop that is not over the top you have a work truck not a corvette. The other thing not to forget is work trucks can do things that a corvette cannot do. As far as the roof goes almost every grain bin in this country is made of steel and it is not lined. A 100000 dollars worth fits into not that large of bin. Do you think that a farmer would put that kind of money into something that would rain inside so the grain would spoil? People will say that's why they have fans etc on them well that is if the grain goes in wet. There are millions of all steel buildings right across North America that are unlined and they do nor rain inside if they did the farmer would save his money and just leave his stuff outside. Don't forget you worked saved used your head and worked. Keep that up and you will have a wonderful life not wanting for anything. It shocks me all the advice that tells you you should have this or that and almost all of that advice would add multiples to what the total cost of your shop is. It would be interesting to see what the person has on the otherside of the keyboard. To me it reads like there is shock and jealousy running rampant here as you have more as a young fellow than the old men do. If you did all the big money mods and posted again the advice would be to spend thousands more it is always easier to spend someone else's money. You did good kid! Don't listen to a bunch of bull.
Pretty sure no one is jealous of his shop. It will condensate, just like every other metal building, agg bin or otherwise ever built that isn't insualted or vented properly. Go crawl in a steel silo that half full after a cold damp night meets a hot morning sun, there will be condensation. It's plain simple physics at work, can't be denied by anecdotal evidence.

The talk about security reminds me.......................

If your hasp and lock are on the outside of the shed door, make sure someone can't lock it on you while you're inside and trap you, either. Outside hasp and padlock is fine for a storage shed you won't be spending time in, but strongly suggest a standard door knob and strike plate for anywhere meant for occupancy. Or at least make sure the door is flimsy enough you can kick it down from inside, if needed.
Lock me in? I don't leave the key in it and it will not lock without a key.

Depending on the kind of hasp, it just takes a screwdriver, nail, cotter pin, etc. Doesn't need to be a padlock. Maybe lock the padlock back in the hasp when it's open, so it can't be latched.
He might have a chainsaw in there to cut his way out?

Impressive shop. All the suggestions are just ideas that you inspired.

Philbert

I wish i would have house wrapped my little shed, but i did put down the tin insulation so no drippy drips in the winter, and i even put in the clear plastic roof panels for extra light, and i don't have electricity run to the shed so they can't tax me on it.

Your example of a grain bin is not at all comparable. I am not sure what type of farming you did but I would love to see any grain bin that is not vented. If you have a 60,000 bushel bin and are air drying grain you will want a fan capacity of around 60,000 cfm. If you are pushing 60,000 cfm of air in you have to pull that much back out. It is not rocket science, what goes in must come out. Go empty a plastic jug and try blowing into it, what happens? In this area it is common to start picking corn when the ambient air temp is 80F. Most guys will still be picking up into December and the air temp is around 25F. You have to slowly cool that grain down. I will assure you if you dump 25,000 bushel of corn in a bin with a grain temp of 70F and you get a cold snap with a ambient air temp of 25F you will see one helluva lot of condensation in the bin if you do not put air on it. You ever empty a bin and notice that corn stuck to the sides? It ain't super glue holding it there. That is condensation/moisture migration.

Look above I said goes in dry not corn. Do you have an unheated shop? Is it steel does it rain inside of it?

Back