3/16 vs 5/32 file

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would take good hand to eye coordination and good vision to be a candidate for not using a guide.

The ones you posted back in post 54 are worth trying. s93g and sp33g would be the ones. The top plate is visible during filing.
Since the teeth have the angle marked on them, I assume you mean it would be difficult to hold the file in the right place to file the tooth correctly without a guide?

It will be difficult to do all the teeth the same. Actually, with no guide and filing on the bar in the saw (used) a finger can be placed to hold the actual cutter pretty well. The roller guides do index on the tie straps so perhaps the play of the drive links in the bar and the play at the rivets could perhaps be less than other methods.

Hi, I got a new husqvarna guide and gauge combo today for use with sp33g or h30 chain, 3/16 file but it doesn’t seem to be the right one for the chain on my 543. When it’s on my chain the sharpening file rides too high on the tooth. 2/3 of the file is above the tooth. Anyone know what’s going on?

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That is the one I have The file goes through the hole past the serrations without rubbing at all. Those sit down on the top of the tie straps. I have read about filing the groove things a bit to fit other chains. Maybe just need a bit of filing to get it to sit down.

s33roller guide.jpg

That is the one I have The file goes through the hole past the serrations without rubbing at all. Those sit down on the top of the tie straps. I have read about filing the groove things a bit to fit other chains. Maybe just need a bit of filing to get it to sit down.

View attachment 1170135
Thanks, I’ll have to take a look if that’s the case. I think it requires a little effort to seat properly unlike the other one I have.

Get the husqvarna progressive raker gauge for your chain size. It's a ridiculously overpriced piece of tin (and they don't even dull it's sharp edge - ridiculous), but it's the only gauge I am aware of that sets each raker to its cutter.

NSEric posted a pic of it a few replies back there..
WCS raker gauge, very similar gauge to the old Carlton File-O-Plate but has four depth options as opposed to the Carltons two.

Back