Beating a dead horse - saw file size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEWood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I know this has been discussed ad nauseam and I have read other threads about file size. I know 0.325 pitch chains are to use a 3/16 file, yet I still have a question. I just picked up an LGX 0.325, 0.050, 72DR, 18” for my 490. The back of the packaging lists file sizes and angles for different chain models. The 72, LGX is showing 7/32 for file size. There is a section that reads 20 needing the 3/16 but it’s not the LGX version.
Do I continue using my 3/16 or is this telling me this chain should use 7/32?

The Oregon 33, 34, and 35 series "low profile" chains call for 11/64 size file this is 0.325 pitch.
The Oregon 80txl 0.325 and similar call for 5/32" file.
The rest which is the majority of them in .325 call for the 3/16" but I have read going to the 11/64 when hardly any tooth is left is possible.
There actually is a variation in file diameter perhaps due to some intended to end up in a sensible metric and some intended to end up in a sensible fraction. If using the Husky roller guide this might help to pay attention to as the rollers wear. Or using the roller guide on another brand of chain.
LGX is essentially LPX without the bumper drive links at least in .325 pitch.

Running 325 LGX since 2020. Again just like I showed on Oregon website takes 3/16. Reason for link for info right there to see.

Here is LPX I ran before that.

If you dont know the chain jargon they use dont pay attention to what box says. 72LGX again is 3/8 chain not 325.

New unsharpened loops in pic. LPX has been used though.

olgxlpx325.jpg

Latest posts

Back