My locked up 2100 saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
update on my purchase of a locked up 2100 saw. Well I posted that the recoil housing had a metal patch the bolted in and the nut jammed the fin in the flywheel. Upon removal she turns over and has awesome compression. I think I have a orginal runner the way the piston and rings look. Now I keep on hitting road blocks. The clutch drum bearing is snug on the shaft. Need a new clutch drum with the rim anyway. I see a starter pawl is missing. I need to pull the flywheel to make sure the pawl isn’t stuck behind it. Maybe by the weekend we will put some fire in the hole, I swapped out the cracked recoil housing. New recoil spring plus I serviced the assemble, synthetic oil. I’m hoping my other 2100’s are this simple. I ordered gasket sets anyway. Can’t wait to hear those 100cc tones. Everytime I hear these big cc saws I’m looking for a dirtbike.

Beware of handling these big saws with large spikes she bit me. Ouch.

update on my purchase of a locked up 2100 saw. Well I posted that the recoil housing had a metal patch the bolted in and the nut jammed the fin in the flywheel. Upon removal she turns over and has awesome compression. I think I have a orginal runner the way the piston and rings look. Now I keep on hitting road blocks. The clutch drum bearing is snug on the shaft. Need a new clutch drum with the rim anyway. I see a starter pawl is missing. I need to pull the flywheel to make sure the pawl isn’t stuck behind it. Maybe by the weekend we will put some fire in the hole, I swapped out the cracked recoil housing. New recoil spring plus I serviced the assemble, synthetic oil. I’m hoping my other 2100’s are this simple. I ordered gasket sets anyway. Can’t wait to hear those 100cc tones. Everytime I hear these big cc saws I’m looking for a dirtbike.

If that bearing is on a (spur) gear drum they don,t come off
in my experience ,think they are molded into the drum itself

I think it’s a well worn rim and drum. I have another 2100 parts saw in the mail on its way I’ll salvage parts from that for now. The one in the mail is scored/locked up.
If the cylinder is kaput I can practice machining a compression release on it.

Worst spike bite I have ever had was from one of my little ms170's. It cut me like a razor.

Where are the pictures!

The worst cut I ever got was I sharpened the chain razor sharp and went to bring the next set of teeth around, the chain bound up, I slipped and cut my thumb wide open. She was a gusher. Nice straight even cut. I learned to move the chain when sharpening in the same direction it turns when cutting. Words of wisdom besafe,,,,,,

Some of it been healing. The 2100 did this. I shouldn’t of hugged my 2100, lol

Attachments

• E16A82A8-88A8-437D-A989-8819AC75EA6E.jpeg
    E16A82A8-88A8-437D-A989-8819AC75EA6E.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 34
The worst cut I ever got was I sharpened the chain razor sharp and went to bring the next set of teeth around, the chain bound up, I slipped and cut my thumb wide open. She was a gusher. Nice straight even cut. I learned to move the chain when sharpening in the same direction it turns when cutting. Words of wisdom besafe,,,,,,

Got cut like that exactly once. Now I use my file on the back side of a tooth to push the chain around the bar.

Did a 265 brushcutter ignition /flywheel swap on a 285 cd.... brushcutter flywheels only have one pawl... perhaps same thing here... I orderd a kit from dealer, pars were wrong and they couldnt get right ones so I use with one... seems to work fine... good luck with your project

Did a 265 brushcutter ignition /flywheel swap on a 285 cd.... brushcutter flywheels only have one pawl... perhaps same thing here... I orderd a kit from dealer, pars were wrong and they couldnt get right ones so I use with one... seems to work fine... good luck with your project
The ignition (part no. 50 18 319-01) fits 165R, 265R, 480 & 2100 and I guess 285 as well. The clearing saw flywheels have 2 pawls, as does the 480. The 2100 has 3.

The ignition (part no. 50 18 319-01) fits 165R, 265R, 480 & 2100 and I guess 285 as well. The clearing saw flywheels have 2 pawls, as does the 480. The 2100 has 3.

Good to know. Thnx.... I bought the parts new from the local dealer. Flywheel arrived with only one pawl. I never researched it ,just tried to order another. I could have swore that their computer showed only one for that part... but that was 4 years or so ago and well over 300$ in parts... still trying to forget... lol

well a second seized 2100 just arrived. One more to disassemble and inspect. The PO said the piston is scored. Maybe the cylinder will cleanup. If not parts is parts.

Good to know. Thnx.... I bought the parts new from the local dealer. Flywheel arrived with only one pawl. I never researched it ,just tried to order another. I could have swore that their computer showed only one for that part... but that was 4 years or so ago and well over 300$ in parts... still trying to forget... lol
I looked up the 165R IPL. It does show only 1 pawl so your memory is probably trustworthy.
Btw, the 165 engine has unusually high parts commonality with its chainsaw cousins because like them, it rotates anticlockwise.

update on my purchase of a locked up 2100 saw. Well I posted that the recoil housing had a metal patch the bolted in and the nut jammed the fin in the flywheel. Upon removal she turns over and has awesome compression. I think I have a orginal runner the way the piston and rings look. Now I keep on hitting road blocks. The clutch drum bearing is snug on the shaft. Need a new clutch drum with the rim anyway. I see a starter pawl is missing.
Thinking about preventing starter pawls going missing on 2100s, in production, each morning the flywheels for the next days build would be laid out upside down and a few drops of Loctite wick in (the green one) would be applied around the tip of each pawl pin.

The loctite 620 is for cylinderical applications. It will take up to .015” gaps. I’ve used it before.

Had a customer I sharpened a chain for come back in with a pile of chains with hand bandaged up.

The first chain I did slit his hand wide open!
He was in a good mood, said that was the best cutting chain he'd ever run.

Once I sharpen a chain for someone they always comeback. I do it all from the gullet, top edge of the tooth to the rakers. I don’t see making money at it. How much can we charge over selling them a new chain loop?

The first response when we feel the corner of the pointed chisel chain dig in is to pull back making the tooth dig in more. It’s like pulling a fish hook into your skin. Ouch get the first aid kit.

Never play with chains without gloves on, my knuckles told me so.........

Took another seized 2100 saw apart today. She was run past her life of the piston, the crank is ok, the case is ok. The cylinder should clean up. Needs piston, crankbearings and seals. This 2100 will be machined for a compression release I think there’s room next to the spark plug. A little porting, advance the timing, plug the govenor and BRUTUS will chew wood I’m sure

Back